Curling

Rich

middle of the line up had a really bad night. Colton and BJ were the shits, unfortunately. Colton can be excused, as he's young and relatively inexperienced, but BJ needed to be better in a big game. Dunny was incredible all week.... the most impressive player in the bonspiel, considering his age and experience. Real shame they let those arrogant asshats win yet again. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The drought continues. 

not for long... as others have mentioned, Dunstone looks to be the best we've seen since Stoughton... He appears to have ice in his veins, and doesn't get frazzled easily... I HATED watching him play in puke green but have always really liked him as a player... I'm glad he's back in yellow, wearing the Bison, where he belongs...

This team will win, and win a lot

• 2 weeks later...

somewhere in this thread, there was a discussion about whether Jones would stay with the young Zacharias team, and I was adamant they were staying together because all teams were in on a 4 year deal for the Oly Quadrennial. I want to apologize for the hard line stance on that. I'm not sure what's happening with Jones/Zach, but I've since learned that this past year was a trial (pardon the pun) run for all teams and that no commitments were made for anyone beyond this year. Next year is when they start handing out berths to the 2025 Oly Trials, so a lot of teams are/will be mixing it up for next year...... 

Edited by Noeller

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-03-28 at 10:14 AM, Noeller said:

somewhere in this thread, there was a discussion about whether Jones would stay with the young Zacharias team, and I was adamant they were staying together because all teams were in on a 4 year deal for the Oly Quadrennial. I want to apologize for the hard line stance on that. I'm not sure what's happening with Jones/Zach, but I've since learned that this past year was a trial (pardon the pun) run for all teams and that no commitments were made for anyone beyond this year. Next year is when they start handing out berths to the 2025 Oly Trials, so a lot of teams are/will be mixing it up for next year...... 

And here we go.... Didn't see this one coming:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Signed my oldest up to curl this year. It will be his first year. He really enjoys watching it, but it's never worked out timing-wise. 

What a cheap activity! $135 for an entire season. Obviously, I have some upfront costs like shoes and a broom but the broom can be used in the future. 

Definitely cheaper than flag football, which is twice as much for half the time. Ah, well, I'll just take it out of the university fund. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Signed my oldest up to curl this year. It will be his first year. He really enjoys watching it, but it's never worked out timing-wise. 

What a cheap activity! $135 for an entire season. Obviously, I have some upfront costs like shoes and a broom but the broom can be used in the future. 

Definitely cheaper than flag football, which is twice as much for half the time. Ah, well, I'll just take it out of the university fund. 

awesome - we need more kids signing up. I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice this year. Been reading an excellent book written by curler Sean Grassie about the history of the world famous MCA Bonspiel, that's been giving me the itch... 

On 2023-03-15 at 5:15 PM, JCon said:

It was called the Highlander. Multipurpose facility with hockey ice built near the airport. 

I curled in the School Boy's Bonspiel ( now called the Junior Men's Bomsiel) in the mid 70's & later the MCA Bonspiel (later in the 70's to the late 80's). I liked the curling facility at the Highlander. I guess it's now a hockey rink.  Our biggest claim to fame in the Junior Bonspiel was having our team mentioned as "the team to watch" by CJOB's Bob Irving on his 12;25 pm sportscast as we were undefeated going into the 8's of the Free Press Event. Then we ran into the buzzsaw team skipped by Dale Duguid  (the eventual champ) who cut us into little pieces & It. Was. Over. It was fun while it lasted. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27