Curling

Rich

As the current olympic quadrennial comes to a close, virtually every team on tour is breaking up. They'll reassemble in the fall for a new quadrennial. Couldn't care less what happens to most teams, but very curious about the Manitoba ones. Both Fleury and Jones teams have announced they're disbanding, and Einar's team will have something to say after the Worlds, I'm sure. As for the men, I can't wait for the McEwen/Carruthers experiment to finally come to and end. Not sure what'll happen next, but we need something good in this province. Koe's team announced their break up today, so I wonder if BJ Neufeld comes home again. Matt Dunstone, Colton Lott, Kyle Doering....all exceptional young Manitoba curlers who I'd love to see competing, seriously, out of Manitoba. We'll see soon....

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

As the current olympic quadrennial comes to a close, virtually every team on tour is breaking up. They'll reassemble in the fall for a new quadrennial. Couldn't care less what happens to most teams, but very curious about the Manitoba ones. Both Fleury and Jones teams have announced they're disbanding, and Einar's team will have something to say after the Worlds, I'm sure. As for the men, I can't wait for the McEwen/Carruthers experiment to finally come to and end. Not sure what'll happen next, but we need something good in this province. Koe's team announced their break up today, so I wonder if BJ Neufeld comes home again. Matt Dunstone, Colton Lott, Kyle Doering....all exceptional young Manitoba curlers who I'd love to see competing, seriously, out of Manitoba. We'll see soon....

The members of Team Jones not named Jennifer Jones will re-form under another name. Same as with what happened with Colleen Jones team. Same last name go figure.

55 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The members of Team Jones not named Jennifer Jones will re-form under another name. Same as with what happened with Colleen Jones team. Same last name go figure.

is that right? Because Dawn is "retiring" (for now), so there'd only be Kaitlyn, and Jocelyn, if she'd stay in MB, but the rumours I'd heard were that she was going to curl out of Alberta next year (as would her fiance Brett Gallant) but I haven't seen anything for sure yet...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/article/bottcher-koe-highlight-curling-team-lineups-starting-to-take-shape-for-next-season/

I am officially BONKERS EXCITED (!!!) ........ the best men's curler that Manitoba has produced in about 20 years is coming home (as I publicly begged him to do on Twitter...ha ha) to put together a legit contender!! BJ is one of, if not THE best 3rds in the world, and Colton Lott is almost an embarrassment of wealth to have at 2nd. I'm not huge on either of the Harndens, but if he shuts his mouth and just sweeps, it'll be an insanely talented team. This is the first real contender we've had since about 2010 when the McEwen rink was the best team in the world and just couldn't break through the playdowns....

Team Dunstone (Manitoba)

• New lineup: Matt Dunstone, B.J. Neufeld, Colton Lott, Ryan Harnden

Dunstone will skip out of his birth province again after playing in Saskatchewan during the previous cycle. He reunites with Lott, who captured Canadian junior and world junior bronze medals with Dunstone in 2013 and 2016. The pair also played together during the Olympic trials as Lott subbed for Moskowy. Neufeld will also play out of Manitoba again after spending the last four years with Koe. Harnden, from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., comes over from Team Jacobs and can serve as their important.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

^^ As per Kevin Martin's Sportsnet piece that I shared last week......The Old Bear has the scoops! 

Kevin had his wrist slapped by Gushie in the paper today. Gushie had 2 complaints. One, Martin said Gushie contacted Curling Canada about reducing the residency requirement(Gushie says he called to inquiry but never pushed it unlike Martins comment) and two, Gushie complained that word got out about team breakup before everyone informed which I guess means curling is now a pro sport for real now :D 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Jones get the Bison on her back at Scotties, Einar wears the Red and White, and Lawes will be a Wild Card entry. Plenty of 'Toba talent at this year's Scotties. MB Select will come down to Carruthers vs Dunny, with the loser likely being a WC entry at the Brier. 

4 Manitoba-based teams (though Kaitlyn Lawes team has a gross number of non-Manitobans on it....blech) will be in the Nat Scotties, including the young team that lost the MB final to Jones. Manitoba is dominating the ladies side of "pro" curling right now. 

Next up, the Manitoba Men's playdowns, Feb 7-12 in Neepawa...

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://winnipegsun.com/curling/dunstone-claims-first-manitoba-mens-curling-crown

Runner up Carruthers is still going to the Brier as a Wild Card team.

Also noteworthy is that Team Carruthers has only had 3 players since December. Not sure why they don’t have a 4th?

They dumped Gunner... Curiously. They'll pick up one of the players that didn't win this week as their 4th. A lot of really good young curlers who only play MCT but are better than most of the riffraff that will be at the Brier, including Karsten ******* Sturmay that somehow gets a WC spot.... 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

They dumped Gunner... Curiously. They'll pick up one of the players that didn't win this week as their 4th. A lot of really good young curlers who only play MCT but are better than most of the riffraff that will be at the Brier, including Karsten ******* Sturmay that somehow gets a WC spot.... 

Gunny I read but still curious that no one else said yes. Guess no one wanted to jump ship mid season. Guys will be knocking at the door now. Maybe from outside the province?

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Gunny I read but still curious that no one else said yes. Guess no one wanted to jump ship mid season. Guys will be knocking at the door now. Maybe from outside the province?

They have a plan. They didn't reach out to anyone yet, so nobody said "no", exactly. They're curling with Brad Jacobs as their 3rd on tour but not during playdowns. Brad skipped his own team in NOnt playdowns in Kenora this year and will rejoin Carruthers for the rest of the tour season. 

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

They have a plan. They didn't reach out to anyone yet, so nobody said "no", exactly. They're curling with Brad Jacobs as their 3rd on tour but not during playdowns. Brad skipped his own team in NOnt playdowns in Kenora this year and will rejoin Carruthers for the rest of the tour season. 

Northern Ontario...Canada's 11th province!

• 2 weeks later...

it's been a good week. We had 4 teams in the bonspiel, and the best 2 of the 4 remaining are the 2 Manitoba teams. Anything can happen in 10 ends, but sincerely hoping it's Einar vs Jones in the final, as it should be. Those would be the two best reps for Canada at Worlds. As for the Worlds, Canada doesn't really stack up the way it used to. Asian and Western-European teams are typically the ones to beat each year, and Canada is somewhere in the Top 5....... not the dominating force we once were.