Reilly - Old News

Floyd

people that keep saying that Reilly was a toss of the dice or a gamble are really doing the player personnel people who would've watched all his tape, gone to his games (and perhaps practices and workouts) talked to his coaches past and present, analysed his style of play and physical tools, and yes... likely talked to both Reilly and his agent in a shocking (lol) violation of tampering rules an injustice.

is any QB a sure thing? no... so i guess there's always an unknown element that makes up the "luck" side of the equation.

but to imply that a GM (who's name doesn't rhyme with Bill-Pan) makes a big move like this on a whim is a disservice to the many professionals who get paid to render science from the ineffable qualities of a player.

Hervey and his people knew that Reilly was their man because they researched it and then moved decisively and in so doing, boxed out the pusillanimous GM in Winnipeg. they may have been making a mistake, but they were acting on their best intel, and they trusted it enough to act.

I still don't think Reilly was the big mistake in the offseason qb situation. Does anyone really think he'd be having any more success here than any other qb has had recently? Since Matthews decided to have a sophmore slump some kind of bad and Edwards kept getting older there's no one like Stamps here for him to toss passes up to, he'd still be dealing with a horrendous offensive line, he'd have the same **** playcalling etc etc. The mistake was sticking with Pierce (at the head coaches and offensive coordinators insistence mind you) and dumping the guy who started to show some ability to have success with this offense last season. Choosing Pierce over Elliott was the big mistake of the offseason and that's as much to do with the coaches as the GM. The coaches liked one guy and didn't like the other despite one clearly having more success in the situation than the other. (and we're not talking huge amounts or anything but it's still what it is)

isn't it funny how in the offseason several of us were saying that the decision to stick with Pierce was going to cost a lot of people their jobs? 

LOL at 17to85 still sticking to his guns re Elliott.  LOL at people saying that Reilly wasn't a gamble.  He was a gamble.  All QB's with his level of experience are a gamble.  That's life in the CFL.  Good for Edmonton it worked out for them.  I think for two years, Wally should be hired by the CFL with a sole mission to seed at least two good QB's on each team.  Since he is apparently the only one who knows how to find good QB's in this league, it's high time that for the betterment of the league, he find the talent necessary.  Especially for Winnipeg.  We've suffered long enough.

I do agree with 17 on one point - Reilly probably would have crapped the bed in Winnipeg, with our garbage O-line and brain-dead playbook.  He definitely made the better choice going to Edmonton.

I do agree with 17 on one point - Reilly probably would have crapped the bed in Winnipeg, with our garbage O-line and brain-dead playbook.  He definitely made the better choice going to Edmonton.

it's just far too simplistic to say "well that qb has good stats on that team, he'd be good here" Too many other things wrong with the Bombers to just assume that any qb with a little bit of success somewhere else would be able to succeed here where so many others have failed to do so. That's actually the #1 reason I still stand by Elliott, he started to show some ability to move the ball with these players in this offense, that's not something that can be easily dismissed. Yeah there were turnovers, but there's still turnovers, there were turnovers from other qbs before him too, but at least Elliott could string some drives together HERE.

That's called Mackadamia. It's an obsession.

It's the closest thing you're going get to being 'nuts'.

The recommended treatment for Mackadamia is avoidance of any exertion and prolonged rest in warm southern climates such as North Carolina. Patients may notice eratic behaviour when exposed to drafts.

Elliott's ship has sailed. He's not coming back. He was let go last spring. Why dwell on it? We have to find or trade for a qb. With Joe Mack, nothing would have happened. (If the same usual suspects can keep on talking about Ellliott, I can keep talking about Mack). Touche, eh? ;)

I like how you say "why dwell on the past?" and manage to fit in a shot at Joe Mack in the same paragraph.

Elliott's ship has sailed. He's not coming back. He was let go last spring. Why dwell on it? We have to find or trade for a qb. With Joe Mack, nothing would have happened. (If the same usual suspects can keep on talking about Ellliott, I can keep talking about Mack). Touche, eh? ;)

I like how you say "why dwell on the past?" and manage to fit in a shot at Joe Mack in the same paragraph.

Yeah, clever, huh? :)

people that keep saying that Reilly was a toss of the dice or a gamble are really doing the player personnel people who would've watched all his tape, gone to his games (and perhaps practices and workouts) talked to his coaches past and present, analysed his style of play and physical tools, and yes... likely talked to both Reilly and his agent in a shocking (lol) violation of tampering rules an injustice.

is any QB a sure thing? no... so i guess there's always an unknown element that makes up the "luck" side of the equation.

but to imply that a GM (who's name doesn't rhyme with Bill-Pan) makes a big move like this on a whim is a disservice to the many professionals who get paid to render science from the ineffable qualities of a player.

Hervey and his people knew that Reilly was their man because they researched it and then moved decisively and in so doing, boxed out the pusillanimous GM in Winnipeg. they may have been making a mistake, but they were acting on their best intel, and they trusted it enough to act.

I need to pull out the old thesaurus when I read some of your posts bluto lol

I still don't think Reilly was the big mistake in the offseason qb situation. Does anyone really think he'd be having any more success here than any other qb has had recently? Since Matthews decided to have a sophmore slump some kind of bad and Edwards kept getting older there's no one like Stamps here for him to toss passes up to, he'd still be dealing with a horrendous offensive line, he'd have the same **** playcalling etc etc. The mistake was sticking with Pierce (at the head coaches and offensive coordinators insistence mind you) and dumping the guy who started to show some ability to have success with this offense last season. Choosing Pierce over Elliott was the big mistake of the offseason and that's as much to do with the coaches as the GM. The coaches liked one guy and didn't like the other despite one clearly having more success in the situation than the other. (and we're not talking huge amounts or anything but it's still what it is)

isn't it funny how in the offseason several of us were saying that the decision to stick with Pierce was going to cost a lot of people their jobs? 

Sure he would have similar success here.  O-line in Edmonton is just as bad as Winnipeg's and In some games Stamps barely sees the ball yet Rielly still puts up good numbers.

Both teams are awful but Edmonton is closer to taking the next step now that they have a legit starting QB.  Winnipeg is no better than they were 4 years ago (except we have more draft picks) and we still don't even have an average QB.

For the record, I will continue to bash Mack and call for Elliott's return.

If 'everyone who knows anything about football' can actually find a quarterback that during even one tiny part of one game looks as good or better than Elliot, I will stop. That might be a while though.

max hall moved the ball, only got picked once in last game... right there, good as or better than..

and honestly,.if wally buano, aka qb guru, says "hes not worth it or.good enough.." how can you argue it? he has easily forgot more about qb play in the cfl then you (or 17to85) will ever know..

move on ya redundant turkeys

If 'everyone who knows anything about football' can actually find a quarterback that during even one tiny part of one game looks as good or better than Elliot, I will stop.  That might be a while though.

For the record, I will continue to bash Mack as often as I can, whenever I can. The team is no better & maybe even worse than when he was hired. Once we hire a General Manager who knows what he is doing I will stop. That may also be awhile.

If 'everyone who knows anything about football' can actually find a quarterback that during even one tiny part of one game looks as good or better than Elliot, I will stop.  That might be a while though.

For the record, I will continue to bash Mack as often as I can, whenever I can. The team is no better & maybe even worse than when he was hired. Once we hire a General Manager who knows what he is doing I will stop. That may also be awhile.

if you're trying to compare it to the Elliott arguments you really should be saying that you'll stop when a GM is hired who performs worse than Mack.... Just my opinion. 

If 'everyone who knows anything about football' can actually find a quarterback that during even one tiny part of one game looks as good or better than Elliot, I will stop. That might be a while though.

max hall moved the ball, only got picked once in last game... right there, good as or better than..

and honestly,.if wally buano, aka qb guru, says "hes not worth it or.good enough.." how can you argue it? he has easily forgot more about qb play in the cfl then you (or 17to85) will ever know..

move on ya redundant turkeys

Max Hall is garbage, if he got released today he would never play another down in the CFL.

Seriously, Cleo Lemon was better.