Rookie Camp Observations - Day Two

Mike

Bob Irving saying Rifles junior Brett Carter doesn't look out of place at all at camp so far.

I'd agree with that. He didn't do much yesterday but today he made some nice catches in traffic and held on to the ball. Michael DiCroce also had a pretty good session. He missed a couple but also had some nice catches. He caught a nice 20-30 yarder from Chase Clement. You can definitely see the potential there. Carl Fitzgerald still looks pretty raw but he's getting a lot of work since he's the only running back or fullback at rookie camp. He has to work on being more aggressive catching the ball in traffic, because that's what he's going to be doing if he gets the chance to catch the ball in game... still, I like the potential there too. He needs to realize he's bigger and stronger than some of the guys out there, even though they are older and more experienced... needs to use that to his advantage.

As far as the import receivers go, Doug Pierce caught a lot of balls today and looked pretty good doing it. I didn't notice Anderson much today. My guys are Wallace Miles and Trevor Kennedy... both look good. Miles is the most polished looking receiver, catches almost everything, kinda reminds me of Denmark in 2011 training camp.

Not a whole lot more to say. I thought Goltz stepped up a bit today and looked pretty good. Again the linemen were just doing drills but I liked Zach Anderson's intensity and heard him getting some praise. Started to rain near the end, I'm guessing they end up in the indoor soccer complex this afternoon. Unfortunately I can't attend, so this is it for today.

Not a whole lot more to say. I thought Goltz stepped up a bit today and looked pretty good. Again the linemen were just doing drills but I liked Zach Anderson's intensity and heard him getting some praise. Started to rain near the end, I'm guessing they end up in the indoor soccer complex this afternoon. Unfortunately I can't attend, so this is it for today.

As I was reading this I started grinning as the image of Creehan yelling "I ****ING LOVE THAT **** ZACH ANDERSON!!!" went through my mind....

Bob Irving saying Rifles junior Brett Carter doesn't look out of place at all at camp so far.

I'd agree with that. He didn't do much yesterday but today he made some nice catches in traffic and held on to the ball. Michael DiCroce also had a pretty good session. He missed a couple but also had some nice catches. He caught a nice 20-30 yarder from Chase Clement. You can definitely see the potential there. Carl Fitzgerald still looks pretty raw but he's getting a lot of work since he's the only running back or fullback at rookie camp. He has to work on being more aggressive catching the ball in traffic, because that's what he's going to be doing if he gets the chance to catch the ball in game... still, I like the potential there too. He needs to realize he's bigger and stronger than some of the guys out there, even though they are older and more experienced... needs to use that to his advantage.

As far as the import receivers go, Doug Pierce caught a lot of balls today and looked pretty good doing it. I didn't notice Anderson much today. My guys are Wallace Miles and Trevor Kennedy... both look good. Miles is the most polished looking receiver, catches almost everything, kinda reminds me of Denmark in 2011 training camp.

awesome, thanks for the synopsis..

how was parking yesterday? I might try to make it out for the afternoon session

It was pretty full but I found a spot in the visitors' lot (free) with no issues.

Didn't check the visitors lot because there was a stream of cars going in and out. Cheapest option would be the in lot in front of the soccer complex, but I don't carry cash and their meters don't take cc. U-lot cost me $2.50.

I'll check practice out today probably

Marquis Frazier ‏@MorE_QuiS 16m

I got my phone in airplane mode now...I'm not trying to pay an arm and uh leg

what that supposed to mean? is he on the way out?

No... airplane mode on his phone will just prevent him from getting butt-trucked by data charges

-- Didn't see Pierce do anything while I was there, but Hall/Goltz clearly a level above Clement. Hall puts really good touch on his passes. Wasn't paying much attention to the end result because obviously the whole point is to force throws and go through reps, but it was annoying to see Clement pulling the ball down and running with it in a PASSING drill. One coach gave him **** for it too.

-- The only receiver that I didn't see drop at least one pass was Brett Carter from the Rifles, although I also didn't notice anyone throw a single pass to Wallace Miles so I won't comment on him. Massey is tiny and man, is he ever tricky once he gets the ball. Whoever 70 is, he looks like a horribly sloppy route runner.

-- Fitzgerald is SLOW. But he looks like a manbeast.

-- I didn't have a roster but I noticed 20, 38, 40 and 41 making plays on defense in coverage. It's really hard to try and pick out defenders who DON'T look good, but those guys each broke up a few passes.

-- Trevor Kennedy dropped a couple but he made one beautiful cut on a defender and in a game, he would've been gone for as long as he had to be.

-- Didn't watch the punters or the DL/OL ... I saw the punters carrying around a ball that wasn't a football (rugby ball, I think?) so I just didn't even bother.

The kickers had soccer balls. They were a running a drill with the D on blocking kicks. Guess soccer balls are softer.

None of the receivers were particularly impressive when I was there, the DBs caught more passes than receivers.

Goltz throws a very pretty ball. Honestly none of the QBs looked great when I was watching, partly because the receivers didn't catch anything thrown to them in this rain. Balls were hitting the DBs in the chest often, but they had equal issues catching.

Creehan is intense. Even yesterday when I was checking out every aspect of the stadium and completely ignoring what was going on one the field I could still hear him barking.

Creehan is intense. Even yesterday when I was checking out every aspect of the stadium and completely ignoring what was going on one the field I could still hear him barking.

This *could* be good , hopefully he keeps the vets in check and keeps them in place. I hope its just not loud shouting that goes ignored like back with Kelly....

This *could* be good , hopefully he keeps the vets in check and keeps them in place. I hope its just not loud shouting that goes ignored like back with Kelly....

People who are there for the right reason don't mind being held accountable.

It seems like Creehan is one of those special coaches who know how to yell at the right times and not come across as a ranting asshat. Players who have played for him have only glowing reports and have said they loved to play for him... He manages to get the max out of his players..