Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kelownabomberfan

Humboldt Broncos

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

hey what does Billet mean anyway? I'm looking at the source of the tweet and the word is used alot

Means those kids lived with those famillies.. Billet is another way of saying.. Basically... While in town they take care of them and house them and treat them like they are their own. 

Fun fact.. When i was younger i was offered a chance to go play out of province. I turned it down cuz St Boniface Saints wanted me also and i could stay here but if i did go to Sask, where a team wanted me to come... Id have lived with another familly aka a billet family. Glad i chose to stay here cuz playing for the Saints was fun AF. 

I had a friend who tried out for a team in Sask tho.. He didnt make it but... I almost wanna say that team was indeed Humboldt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

hey what does Billet mean anyway? I'm looking at the source of the tweet and the word is used alot

It means they lived with them. Most of these players live away from home to play. When you billet someone, you provide them food and lodging. But you also provide them your home, your heart and your care. They become part of the family. Your billets become like children to you. 

 

It's hard to explain what these kids mean to a community. They go to school there, the whole area follows them and they're part of the fabric of the small community. Hockey is life for so many and these players play at the top level, the pinnacle, in those towns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JCon said:

It means they lived with them. Most of these players live away from home to play. When you billet someone, you provide them food and lodging. But you also provide them your home, your heart and your care. They become part of the family. Your billets become like children to you. 

 

It's hard to explain what these kids mean to a community. They go to school there, the whole area follows them and they're part of the fabric of the small community. Hockey is life for so many and these players play at the top level, the pinnacle, in those towns. 

That 2nd paragraph is bang on. When younger we had tournaments in places like Warroad Minnesota and Sask and Alberta and Ontario and those tournaments all took place in tiny towns... Maybe 20000 residents... The arenas were packed. Hockey means so much to the people in these small towns... We are all from a small town right but 800k is huge compared to the 1500 to 10000 ppl who live in places like Humboldt and Warroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That 2nd paragraph is bang on. When younger we had tournaments in places like Warroad Minnesota and Sask and Alberta and Ontario and those tournaments all took place in tiny towns... Maybe 20000 residents... The arenas were packed. Hockey means so much to the people in these small towns... We are all from a small town right but 800k is huge compared to the 1500 to 10000 ppl who live in places like Humboldt and Warroad

I lived in North Battleford for three years, grade 5 to 8. They provided all school kids free passes to the games. I went to almost all the games, as it was a cheap night out. We treated them like NHLers. They were accessible and you could see them around town. Everyone knew their names and they were just high school kids. 

The North Battleford Northstars meant as much to North Battleford as the Jets  do to Winnipeg. It's just that ingrained. It's not about money, it's about the connection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coach, Darcy Haugan, was from Peace River, where I work and just down the highway from where I live. He coached the local junior team for 12 years before moving to coach the Broncos in 2015. I didn’t really know him but I did have the opportunity to chat with him many times when our  vehicles were in for maintenance at the Kal-Tire where he worked.  A really great guy.  In June 2017 the ground was broken for the town’s new rec centre and there’s growing talk of honouring him in some way, which I think is a great idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a few playoff battles between Humboldt and the Winnipeg South Blues back in the 1980's. There would be bench clearing brawls almost every game.  The Humboldt team was huge. The Blues got to play in the Winnipeg arena because Fergie's son was on the team.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was a beautiful Vigil, and I just found out that a second player had been released from the hospital

also

This is a great idea, I will do this for sure on thursday (I work in a school)

Edited by iHeart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its time for the media to leave them be... Go home and let the town and families grieve in peace instead of having cameras shoved in their faces. 

They know we care. Now its time to show them we also respect their privacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, iHeart said:

make it $7 million.

I was watching BC1 news on Saturday and they had just broken one million, and the news anchor was talking about the Go Fund Me and how amazing it was that they had blown through the original $300,000 target so fast  and how she was amazed at how fast Canadians were rallying to help, then she choked up and couldn't talk anymore and they had to go to commercial.  Way to go Canada.  So proud right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well I wouldn't be surprised if (but pretty sure) Americans contributed too

 

I wonder what the average cost of a funeral in Canada is (depending on whether the deceased would be cremated or not)

let's see 7,236,222/15=482,414.8 (but then again I'm not sure that division is the right wait operation to use)

and after a quick google 4,503...also I'm probably wrong, but hey I hope whatevers left can cover the medical bills and rehab and therapy

Edited by iHeart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 9:25 PM, iHeart said:

that was a beautiful Vigil, and I just found out that a second player had been released from the hospital

also

This is a great idea, I will do this for sure on thursday (I work in a school)

We've got that exact sign up at our office.  

Mom put out one of my old sticks outside the front door yesterday.  Hope it's still there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...