At The All-Star Break

Kind of hard to fathom, really.

Although, the experts have been telling us for years that the Jets were building to something special. We wanted to believe it but struggled to believe in this coaching and leadership group.

I hope it lasts for a long time.

32 games left. If they win only half of those, with no additional points, they'll finish with 98 points. And, they'll still get Sheif back next month. Unreal.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Imagine how good this team would be if we didn't have the worst head coach in the history of organized sports!

NO NO,  they are winning despite Maurice, don'tcha know.  His record is the only thing that matters and that clearly indicates he is the worstest coach to ever step into the players box.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It was hard to be patient the last two seasons prior, especially after getting a taste of playoff hockey again, but we're finally seeing the results of said patience.

Hard to believe they're still maintaining pace as a top team without two of their starting centres. It's incredible.

and a pretty banged up defensive core for the last month or two as well..  its really quite impressive. 

39 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

NO NO,  they are winning despite Maurice, don'tcha know.  His record is the only thing that matters and that clearly indicates he is the worstest coach to ever step into the players box.

I still blame him for the goaltending woes for last year and  lets remember Helle sent himself to goaltending school in the summer.

Nash sitting on those extra games like gold but then so are we with that home stretch next. In past year we would be thinking great a home stretch and then we suck at home, might be different this time.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I still blame him for the goaltending woes for last year and  lets remember Helle sent himself to goaltending school in the summer.

Nash sitting on those extra games like gold but then so are we with that home stretch next. In past year we would be thinking great a home stretch and then we suck at home, might be different this time.

What does Helle going to goaltending school have to do with a failing of Maurice?

I'm still not a huge fan of Maurice...  things like OT and Hendricks in the shootout... ugh...  still many of the same lapses, but they get the big saves now

I think the biggest difference this year is the emergence of Trouba-Morrissey

Just not having Enstrom and Stuart out there in key situations makes a big difference

That being said, its easy to see more positive in Maurice than negative now - he's got the team really forechecking and backchecking, I'll give him that and that's pretty huge

Edited by Floyd

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Maurice didnt think Helle needed any help/tutoring after last season.

The argument would be that the NHL team has all these options for helping make their players better.  They have a director of development, coaches etc.  But Helle didnt improve until he took it upon himself to do so.  The flip side is, it should always be incumbent on the player to be improving his skills.  Maybe the particular camp Helle went to was recommended by the Jets, I have no idea.  But whomever runs it, I'd hire him to be our goalie coach for the next ten years.

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm still not a huge fan of Maurice...  things like OT and Hendricks in the shootout... ugh...  still many of the same lapses, but they get the big saves now

I think the biggest difference this year is the emergence of Trouba-Morrissey

Just not having Enstrom and Stuart out there in key situations makes a big difference

That being said, its easy to see more positive in Maurice than negative now - he's got the team really forechecking and backchecking, I'll give him that and that's pretty huge

If Hendricks scores, Maurice is a genius. 

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Neither did anyone else.  Do they suck too?

Answered this in another thread - I just don't like Maurice's 'hunches' - they never pay off...

Hendricks in the SO because of something he did five years ago, its the equivalent of Thorbs up on the second line for 'sand'

Pretty minor stuff - Jets were completely dominated in that OT period and shouldn't have even made the shootout anyway

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Hendricks scores, Maurice is a genius. 

I remember listening to a NHL coach (can't remember which one) explaining that picking your lineup for the shootout is a mixture of intuition, gut, guessing, and their in-game play. So picking Hendricks may have been done by what Maurice saw with him throughout the game.  Not a big deal unless he keeps picking Hendricks and he keeps not scoring.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The argument would be that the NHL team has all these options for helping make their players better.  They have a director of development, coaches etc.  But Helle didnt improve until he took it upon himself to do so.  The flip side is, it should always be incumbent on the player to be improving his skills.  Maybe the particular camp Helle went to was recommended by the Jets, I have no idea.  But whomever runs it, I'd hire him to be our goalie coach for the next ten years.

I've seen this implied a couple of times that it is implied as a negative that Helle paying to go to a goal tending coach is a failing of the team and / or coach.   

Yet when it comes to Scheifele, he is applauded and celebrated for doing all the work and training he does in the off season outside of the Jets organization.

I just don't get the double standard of why one is perceived as a negative and the other is a positive.

These players are playing for their careers and millions of dollars are on the line in future contracts.  Damn right each and every one of them should be doing whatever they can to better themselves for their career.  

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Maurice didnt think Helle needed any help/tutoring after last season.

Would like to see what this quote actually said, but Maurice is always careful what he says to not disparage a player in the media.  

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Answered this in another thread - I just don't like Maurice's 'hunches' - they never pay off...

Hendricks in the SO because of something he did five years ago, its the equivalent of Thorbs up on the second line for 'sand'

Pretty minor stuff - Jets were completely dominated in that OT period and shouldn't have even made the shootout anyway

its not a hunch.. haven't you seen Hendrick's shoot out attempts when he was wish washington?  He was very very good at it.  its not like you forget how to deke or shoot suddenly..

Edited by SPuDS

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Kind of hard to fathom, really.

Although, the experts have been telling us for years that the Jets were building to something special. We wanted to believe it but struggled to believe in this coaching and leadership group.

I hope it lasts for a long time.

32 games left. If they win only half of those, with no additional points, they'll finish with 98 points. And, they'll still get Sheif back next month. Unreal.

Added to this it will be interesting to see what does Chevy to shore up  our lineup with a possible trade or go with what we got. His conservative mo suggests no tinkering but maybe he will surprise us.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

its not a hunch.. haven't you seen Hendrick's shoot out attempts when he was wish washington?  He was very very good at it. 

Its relying on past glory instead of giving better offensive players the shot

Hendricks has been terrible on shootouts for 5-6 years now.

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've seen this implied a couple of times that it is implied as a negative that Helle paying to go to a goal tending coach is a failing of the team and / or coach.   

Yet when it comes to Scheifele, he is applauded and celebrated for doing all the work and training he does in the off season outside of the Jets organization.

I just don't get the double standard of why one is perceived as a negative and the other is a positive.

These players are playing for their careers and millions of dollars are on the line in future contracts.  Damn right each and every one of them should be doing whatever they can to better themselves for their career.  

Would like to see what this quote actually said, but Maurice is always careful what he says to not disparage a player in the media.  

I think the difference is the sense that Helle struggled/regressed and the Jets had no answer for it.  Helle goes to one camp and improves a ton.  So the criticism is, why couldnt the Jets identify the issues and help him work through them.  Ive been critical of the jets goalie coach.  But we also dont know if Helle went to that specific camp based on feedback from the Jets (or at least I dont know).

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-why-blake-wheeler-was-my-no-1-for-hart-1.979678

I would have him 2nd, behind MacKinnon, but he's been great this year. Love the way he plays the game.

So funny tidbit...  twitter peeps will likely know Wheeler's tagline of "nice guy, tries hard, love the game".   

So, Friedman & Jeff Marek have got a new podcast, based on Elliot's 31 Thoughts articles.  Their last episode had Marc Savard on.  He mentioned how the "nice guy, tries hard, loves the game" line was a moniker those Bruins' teams had in reference to players who just weren't very good. 

I wonder if the timeline matches.... Wheeler gets a rough ride from the vets in Beantown, gets traded, uses it as fuel for rest of his career.  Or just a coincidence? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

So funny tidbit...  twitter peeps will likely know Wheeler's tagline of "nice guy, tries hard, love the game".   

So, Friedman & Jeff Marek have got a new podcast, based on Elliot's 31 Thoughts articles.  Their last episode had Marc Savard on.  He mentioned how the "nice guy, tries hard, loves the game" line was a moniker those Bruins' teams had in reference to players who just weren't very good. 

I wonder if the timeline matches.... Wheeler gets a rough ride from the vets in Beantown, gets traded, uses it as fuel for rest of his career.  Or just a coincidence? 

Kessel uses that line too.  I think it's just self-deprecating humor.