Game 24: Jets Vs Wild

iHeart

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

yeah Buff looked pretty bad on that first goal.  Gambled and lost at the blue line.  Chairot's definitely not the guy to be out there with Buff, that's for sure.  Not sure what was going on with Laine on that second goal, seems to be falling down a lot out there.  I also liked how on the 7th goal the Jets didn't really celebrate.  That's class.  Don Cherry would like to see that.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:54 PM, Judd said:

Watch the first 15 seconds of the recap frosty posted. If you see nothing wrong with what buff did then I don't know what to tell you. 

I've already figured out you don't know what to tell me, but I was hopeful you'd at least take a crack at it.  Explain the events of those shifts.

I should look at the recap that starts after he's already exited the Jets zone?  How does that show the play develop?

If you are going to make claims like Byfuglien caused goals, which I maintain is total rubbish, then explain how.  What is the mistake Byfuglien made on those plays?  You even have the benefit of hindsight to do it.

None of his teammates came back when he first picked up the puck in his own zone (not shown in that video) which is why he carries the puck up.  None of his teammates presented themselves in passing lanes when he crossed his blue line (not really shown in that video).  None of his teammates presented themselves in passing lanes when he crossed the red line.  With the  linesman, Wheeler and the Minnesota defenseman spread along the blue line he has no path for a dump in.

Chairot moves up along the boards right beside Byfuglien rather than sliding underneath into the space vacated in the middle, and instead helps funnel Byfuglien into Minnesota's players.  None of the Jets forwards change their angle of approach.  Wheeler and Connor mostly have their backs to Byfuglien but Scheifele can see the trap Minnesota is playing and continues to turn offensively rather than defensively even though Wheeler and Connor were already approaching the blue line.  Connor ends up being the first forward back when Scheifele was in a far better position to read the play.  Would he have been able to influence the play?  Maybe.  That's really hard to say.  If he can get to one of the forwards Hellebuyck has one less player to pay attention to and can just key in on the shooter.

So, once again, what is the mistake?  Where in all of that should Byfuglien done something differently, and what was it that he should have done?  Should he have just iced the puck when he picked it up in front of Hellebuyck, because that way he can avoid internet blame?  Which one of his teammates did anything to help him out on that play?  By the time he reaches the red line all he has left is to try and bulldoze his way into the zone.  Minnesota has taken away all other options and his teammates have presented no new ones.  When the team does video review the next day, Maurice is going to point a finger at several players.

On the second goal, Byfuglien caused this by...?  Tripping Laine?  Telling Kulikov to tie up his man but just not his arms, stick or the puck?  What is the thing you think he should have done?  Taken the guy in front?  Which of course allows Cullen to walk in front of the net with the puck, which by your logic would also be Byfuglien causing a goal.  Byfuglien has only two plays there.  Intercept the player (Cullen) or intercept the pass.  Intercepting the player has a good success rate if the  defenceman reaches the post before the forward does.  This play developed far too quickly for Byfuglien to have a chance at that.  Intercepting the pass is the only play he was left with, and he didn't have time to drop his body or the stick.  Success lowers when you have your back to the player in front of the net, as you have to guess at the passing angle and only have a split second to do it.  He got caught in the middle, and it did look like he experienced some mental vapour-lock with the split second he had.  His best bet would have been to try and take one step towards Cullen, which is all he would have had time to do, and try and force a bad pass.  This might also have given Hellebuyck another split second to commit to Stewart and move over to that side fractionally sooner, which at best gives him a slim shot to make a save-of-the-year candidate (will someday be know as the Bobrovsky Award).

That goal happened because Kulikov let his man get free enough to make a two-handed pass despite thinking he had him completely tied up, and because Laine fell.

Byfuglien was the defenceman unfortunate enough to be on the ice while this happened, which means people with limited hockey knowledge get to blame him.

Edited by mbrg

That wasn't meant to sound as dickish as it did.

The recipe for making a cake usually doesn't say "Add cake"

Byfuglien turned the puck over and it led to a goal.  The decisions and actions of his teammates had as much to do with that particular turnover as any decision and action Byfuglien made.  There were more ingredients than that.