Day After

Booch

Well not the desired results we wanted but what I take away from the game being there and then re-watching PVR today is more positives then negatives.

Firstly though I must say the reffing needs to tighten up. That horrible c'mon center reversal of Randle's perfectly legal jam within the 5 yard zone, and resulting drive from it cost us points as well as the injury to Wild which hurt us rest of game. Don't be surprised to see him in a cast with a broken arm or wrist..i suffered same thing myself on a similar play and that's my opinion on that.

Saw some good things with Ekakite as well as Corney progressing to the point that rotation with them will not be a drop off in play and keep everyone fresh.

A series of plays in the 2nd quarter Faith had nice push and collapsed pocket and was very key in knifing in and being a major contributor of the 5 goal line stuffs...as it was he got replaced on the 6th attempt and where his gap would have been I bet his penetration would have pushed that play deeper or slowed up the receiver and he may have been caught.

Please get healthy Mr Johnson...after a few bad mistakes in first half costing us Roc was playing scared..overcompensating to not get beat over top and Calgary exploited it with guys just dropping off..sitting down and that's why it was so frustrating watching all those uncontested catches which basically did us in.

Randle, Heath, Loffler and Alexander are real good and steady and we get that other halfback spot fixed and you will see a huuuuge difference. We got wore down that game and hey it happens...Offence had a off night and that's the result of it.

Brain farts and missed chances...again on offence cost us early, and we couldn't recover. Nichols won't be lights out every night and let's just see if that was an anomaly and not and indicator of where he is at. Dropped balls didn't help him either so not too worried there.

We know we prob have the best all round back in Harris, so that is not an issue and we are going to have games where he is just going to wear a defence down and open it up for our receivers who i think are underated but I like that.

I think tho Lapo has to abandon the amount of short hooks and curls he uses as teams are sitting on that, unless he is game planning to have that seem to be the norm and setting things up to mix in vertical routes and catch teams jumping our receivers...we shall see.

Not really worth getting up in arms yet or worrying until after the 4 game mark..thats when you know whats what.

Pieces are here, it's just a matter of putting them in the right spots, and truthfully this team as it is now will win more than it loses.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Saw some good things with Ekakite as well as Corney progressing to the point that rotation with them will not be a drop off in play and keep everyone fresh.

I think tho Lapo has to abandon the amount of short hooks and curls he uses as teams are sitting on that, unless he is game planning to have that seem to be the norm and setting things up to mix in vertical routes and catch teams jumping our receivers...we shall see.

There really should be 2 NI on DL each play...  the pressure will still be there and you don't have to start Hurl anymore.

Good luck with the hooks and curls - that is Lapo's signature - what concerned me about this game was that bombers found success last year as Lapo and Hall changed their games - or at least evolved...  Lapo used more intermediate passes, Hall used more man coverage and pressure..

Last night, I saw them both revert to their old self in the 2nd half...  short hooks and soft zone D.  Ugly.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Other than the one bad overun Hurl played alright again and wasn't an issue. Our run defence has been pretty good. 

You'de be surprised how a weak link especially at a halfback position can really mess a defence up..that's our defence issue right now

Agree on the one weak link... I'd move Heath over asap and start Walker beside Randle.

Of course, that also means we should have been able to exploit Joe Burnett, unless he magically got faster in the off-season.

Setting the bar low so that you are happy with an 'alright' MLB is a recipe for disaster... Richie Hall needs an MLB with closing speed - Hurl doesn't have that

Yep I gotta agree about Hurl, he seems to always be in pursuit mode if the running back breaks the LOS. Very seldom initiates contact. Was left to Leggett and Randle to take on Messam. Although it wasn't a huge outing, Messam did rack up over 70 yards. Conversely Harris had less than half those totals taking on a weak dline, Singleton was a beast.

Burnett tho is used to the looks...waggle...motions...Roc isn't yet. i think too he is gun shy and intimidated by it now from being burned by it and is now playing way off leaving the mid range zone way too open.