2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

44 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

With regard to making a trade for a LHD or in general? He stated a while back he's going to address the goaltending situation. The status quo is unacceptable where the goaltending is concerned.

I mean on a real trade or a big FA splash.

He'll sign a journeyman goalie to a two year contract and another NHL/AHL dman. 

Enstrom for Fleury makes sense from a team need perspective, but with Maatta, Letang, Dumoulin, & Schultz all likely to be protected by the Pens, I can 't see them wanting to trade for another dman they'll have to protect.

I can't see Fleury being a Jet anyways. It'll be one of the ufa goalies coming here imo.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I mean on a real trade or a big FA splash.

He'll sign a journeyman goalie to a two year contract and another NHL/AHL dman. 

Kulikov would be an interesting signing that would probably come cheap. He stunk last year and had injury problems, but he was a decent 20+ min a night player in Florida. Good skater and a left hand shot. He's my under the radar fa signing this year.

6 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Kulikov would be an interesting signing that would probably come cheap. He stunk last year and had injury problems, but he was a decent 20+ min a night player in Florida. Good skater and a left hand shot. He's my under the radar fa signing this year.

Only real good FA add that I see is Brendan Smith - I'd offer 4-5 years at $3.5-4 million - an overpayment, yes but Chevy has no choice

This is basically the guy that Paul Maurice has been wanting to play with Buff - big, stay-at-home, cover for Buff, bust some heads

Morrssey-Trouba

Smith-Buff

Enstrom-Myers

That's an elite defence core...  even if Myers is left exposed and goes to LV

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Only real good FA add that I see is Brendan Smith - I'd offer 4-5 years at $3.5-4 million - an overpayment, yes but Chevy has no choice

This is basically the guy that Paul Maurice has been wanting to play with Buff - big, stay-at-home, cover for Buff, bust some heads

Morrssey-Trouba

Smith-Buff

Enstrom-Myers

I think Smith will get more than that. I agree he'd be nice to have though. 

35 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I think Smith will get more than that. I agree he'd be nice to have though. 

Probably right - Jets can afford to go up to $4.5-5 if you look at it...  IF they think he will complement Buff

Aside from Morrissey, there is no player on the Jets that works well with Buff... and Buff just holds Morrissey back

17 hours ago, Floyd said:

Morrssey-Trouba

Smith-Buff

Enstrom-Myers

Yikes thats a lot of money invested into our bottom four. With Trouba in the last year of his contract and needing a significant raise I wouldn't justify in over spending for Smith.

Trouba will get big time money to extend with the Jets, just as Toby expires.  I think the Jets might keep Toby but obviously for far less money.  I dont think they will be in the market for a top 4 D.  I could see them signing a lower level D man.  An AHL veteran type maybe.  But I think they are comfortable with their D corp assuming everyone is healthy.  Which is a tough assumption to make but we had unusual issues this past season between the hold out, injuries, personal matters etc.

Morrissey/Trouba and Toby/Buff are a very good top 4 (especially if it keeps Buff's playing time reasonable.  And if you then have Myers, Poolman, Chiarot etc to fill the other two, its not bad.

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Exactly. There's a lot of ways to fill out your bottom six. having a guy making 5 millon isn't a good use of cap space.

Its okay if Toby was expiring.  And it would be great if the Jets were willing to pay that much on D...Toby has one year left so if they spent a ton this season knowing he was off the books next year, then great.

Remember Chipman did say he expected to be very close to the cap this year.  So whatever their plans are, they include spending a lot of money (unless the Jets' Free Agents are all expected to get big raises, but I dont believe that to be the case).

Jets Free Agents:

RFA's:  Tanev, Dano, Copp, Chiarot, Helle

UFA's: Thorbs, Postma, Pavs.

They have almost $19 million in cap space.  Forgetting about expansion for a moment, they likely want to keep all the RFA's (and shouldnt have much trouble re-signing them).  Helle will get the biggest raise but it wont be a big contract (probably short term too).

Of the UFA's, they likely don't re-sign any of them (maybe Postma, but I doubt it).

Looking at next summer, they will have to spend more money: Little (UFA), Ehlers (RFA), Trouba (RFA), Morrissey (RFA).  Toby as well if they want to bring him back cheaper.  But they also have Toby, Matthias, Stu coming off the books which amounts to $10.5 million.  So next year's raises are likely paid for through next year's savings.  Even if Trouba gets $7mm, its doable.

Which brings us back to this summer.  If Chipman expects to be much closer to the cap, whats their internal plan?  I dont see them going nuts on a goalie (unless its Fleury) nor do I see them going nuts on a D (even if they sign a D it's likely to be an under $3mm D as opposed to over.  Trouba's extension is the big piece and it wouldnt kick in til next year even if they signed him this summer.

It could be that Chevy has authorized to upgrade areas that need it (goaltending, bottom pair D, bottom 6 forward) and given a significant budget to do so.  But that still doesnt amount to $15 million (getting them "close to the cap").

A little news on our old buddy Evander...

http://www.tsn.ca/kane-smith-join-tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-board-1.774908

Both Buffalo winger Evander Kane and Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith debut on the list inside the Top 10.

Kane, 25, is no stranger to trade rumours – and a Sabres regime change with new GM Jason Botterill at the helm may spur movement. It’s believed Botterill is listening to offers on the mercurial Vancouver native, who is coming off his second-most productive season with 28 goals. Kane has previously been linked to his hometown Canucks and the Los Angeles Kings, who are seeking scoring help up front.

Is Kane even tradable at this point?   What kind of return is he worth?

I guess he did put up 28 goals last season, so someone will take a gamble on him for that.  But it sounds like Buffalo is ready to move on.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

A little news on our old buddy Evander...

http://www.tsn.ca/kane-smith-join-tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-board-1.774908

Is Kane even tradable at this point?   What kind of return is he worth?

I guess he did put up 28 goals last season, so someone will take a gamble on him for that.  But it sounds like Buffalo is ready to move on.

I could see LA being a plausable destination.

Yup, production trumps personality.  And the apologists will point to his clean track record (and suit!) for the past year and say he's a changed man.  Which is fine.  He produced and stayed out of trouble.  He only has one year remaining.  But you're not giving up much for him, for that reason.  But chances are, he's going to free agency so its in Buffalo's interests to trade him.  Although, they likely get more at the deadline.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Interesting.  Going about business without regard to the expansion draft or they have set up something knowing they can protect him?

Does a one year deal make him less likely to be chosen by Vegas (probably not as he's still an RFA next summer, I believe).

Low salary.  Definitely seems like a "show us what you got" contract.