TankWatch

Floyd

Rather than looking at how far we'll sink, I would rather look at the top 10 prospects entering the draft and start that discussion.

2017 Draft Prospects

Top 10 North American Skaters:

Midterm Rank Player Position Last Amateur Club League
  1 PATRICK, NOLAN Center BRANDON WHL
  2 HISCHIER, NICO Center HALIFAX QMJHL
  3 VILARDI, GABRIEL Center WINDSOR OHL
  4 TIPPETT, OWEN Right Wing MISSISSAUGA OHL
  5 MITTELSTADT, CASEY Center EDEN PRAIRIE HIGH-MN
  6 RASMUSSEN, MICHAEL Center TRI-CITY WHL
  7 TOLVANEN, EELI Right Wing SIOUX CITY USHL
  8 GLASS, CODY Center PORTLAND WHL
  9 VALIMAKI, JUUSO Defenseman TRI-CITY WHL

10 MAKAR, CALE Defenseman BROOKS

AJHL

Top 10 European Skaters:

Midterm Rank Player Position Last Amateur Club League
  1 KOSTIN, KLIM Left Wing/Center DYNAMO MOSCOW RUSSIA
  2 PETTERSSON, ELIAS Center TIMRA SWEDEN-2
  3 ANDERSSON, LIAS Center HV 71 SWEDEN
  4 VESALAINEN, KRISTIAN Left Wing/Right Wing FROLUNDA SWEDEN
  5 NECAS, MARTIN Center BRNO CZREP
  6 HEISKANEN, MIRO Defenseman HIFK FINLAND
  7 LILJEGREN, TIMOTHY Defenseman ROGLE SWEDEN
  8 VAAKANAINEN, URHO Defenseman JYP FINLAND
  9 SAFIN, OSTAP Right Wing SPARTA JR. CZREP-JR.
  10 WESTERLUND, FILIP Defenseman FROLUNDA SWEDEN

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't make the columns line up any better.

Edited by JCon

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats the anaylis from the smart guys here as to who the Jets would be targeting, say 1-5 or 5-10?

1. Patrick - no Brainer

2. Hischier - no brainer 

it gets interesting and I'd think LHD Valimaki and Heiskanen would be of interest as would RHD Liljegren or Makar 

I think if they aren't picking 1st or 2nd that they go with 1 of the D I just mentioned and that's honestly it's a crapshoot from 3 to 10. Depending on who picks where..you could see some interesting picks. Some teams like the Jets probably prefer D. Others prefer the centers probably like Middlestadt or Vilardi 

Basically 1 and 2 are guaranteed to go 1 and 2..

After that... who knows 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

1. Patrick - no Brainer

2. Hischier - no brainer 

Then it gets interesting and I'd think LHD Valimaki and Heiskanen would be of interest as would RHD Liljegren or Makar 

I think if they aren't picking 1st or 2nd that they go with 1 of the D I just mentioned 

And would that be an example of the Jets drafting their need and by-passing Best Player Available?

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Interesting take.

I can't say I disagree. Maybe there's an argument for Wheeler over Little.

Well as a Center, Little scores some extra points.  Little is more consistent.  I like Wheeler a lot too.  If we went with a youth movement, I'd be fine with trading Wheeler and Buff and Toby...but I'd want to keep Little.

Eventually you have to hand the team over to the younger guys.  Wheeler and buff are 30 plus. 

It's probably best to move them since in reality they probably aren't gonna be here that much longer. Little? He's a good guy to keep around. 

Edited by Goalie

People complain can rightly complain about some of the individual performances of some of the veterans on the team, but suggesting to trade them all away because we “suck” is foolish IMO.

We’ve seen what happens when you go all young with other teams.  It isn’t good.

There are things veterans do day in day out that impact the team in ways we will never see during a game.  You cannot go all young, and it is important for some of those veterans to have an important role on the team.  (ie. I don’t think it works if you fill your vet quota by trading away your “star” vets and replace them with 3rd and 4th liners who are vets).

Buff needs to play less minutes per game to be more effective overall. 

I seriously wonder if Wheeler is playing hurt.  He has not looked his usual self these last couple of weeks.    Not that long ago people are praising his on ice work ethic and effort game in and game out.  “He is a guy who leads by example on the ice.” 

Knee jerk reaction though to take a two week sample and declare that Wheeler sucks and we should trade him and go into a full out youth movement.

There is nothing wrong with having players in their 30s.   It isn’t a dirty or bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with having young players in the lineup. 

Unless you are going all in and are a legit competition for the cup, having all players in their 30s is a bad thing.

Having all young players with no to little experience in the room is also a bad thing.

It isn’t an exact science, but you need to find the right mix of old and young.  Deciding to trade away MOST of your vets because the current mix isn’t working is foolish

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

True Rich but going young and going complete rebuild are two different things.  Scheif is 4 years in.  Lowry is 3 years on.  Trouba is 4 years in.  Ehlers will be starting year 3 next season.  Same with Copp.  Young, but not rookies. 

NHL experience aside, Scheif and Lowry are the oldest of that group at 23. 

Think of personal experiences and group dynamics when you have a bunch of people in that age group together.  

There is often no substitute for life experience and maturity to lead and keep together a group of people.   

1 minute ago, Rich said:

NHL experience aside, Scheif and Lowry are the oldest of that group at 23. 

Think of personal experiences and group dynamics when you have a bunch of people in that age group together.  

There is often no substitute for life experience and maturity to lead and keep together a group of people.   

Thats why I'd keep at least Little.  I'd also keep Perreault.  And I'd hope the coaching staff had quality leadership skills.  I like Wheeler too.  Not sure I'd re-sign him when his deal is up (and the other guys will be older, more mature, more experienced by then).  Buff is the type of guy that puts you over the top...but why pay him $7+m for years if there is nothing to be put over the top of during that time?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

People complain can rightly complain about some of the individual performances of some of the veterans on the team, but suggesting to trade them all away because we “suck” is foolish IMO.

This entire post is sensible. Thanks.

fans really are yo- yoing around re the Jets lately.  Probably preseason expectations, what with Laine, etc, were a bit too high.

also, team playing gutlessly at various times this season doesn't help at all.

Edited by Mark F

17 minutes ago, Mark F said:

fans really are yo- yoing around re the Jets lately.  Probably preseason expectations, what with Laine, etc, were a bit too high.

I dont think expectations were too high.  I think Laine has been at least as good as expected.  I think if the Jets worked their tails off and lost every game the fanbase would be optimistic.  Its lack of effort, lack of prep and the fact the "holes" on the team seem to be the same ones year after year after year with little being done to correct it.

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Perreault needs to go also. All he's done is throw his team mates under the bus this year from trouba to helle to ehlers and Laine. This from a guy with 4 goals. 

Much more impressed with the honest of Perreault then the fake non-answers of everyone else and the condescension of the head coach.  I also think Perreault is one of the most consistent effort guys on the team.

29 minutes ago, Mark F said:

For me it's been entirely about development. Making the playoffs would have been a bonus.

Before the season, I expected this team to be much better in February-March than it was in October-November. At this point, I'm not convinced it is.