Chevy Moves or Nonmoves before the TD?

Ducky

What should Chevy do or should he stand pat and not do a thing?

Is he going to add to try to make the playoffs or is he going to send some expiring/nonexpiring contracts elsewhere?

Trade Staf if we are still close to the playoffs and get what you can for him?

Get some help on the 3rd D pairing?

Trade Thorbs for whatever you can get for him?

Get some help for present/future for Helle in the net?

Does he try to talk Enstrom and/or Buff out of their NMC to send them to a contending team?

Should he move some forwards to do any of the above and which ones?

Does he find a buyer for Pavs? Postma/Chiarot/Stu?

If he makes a deal, does he use picks, picks/player(s) or just Player(s)? Does he include a Moose player in a deal?

I think if we are as close as we are right now, he doesn't deal anyone and might try to add a D man and a goalie for the playoff drive...

If we are out of it, Staf will go for whatever he can get but I think he will keep Thorbs unless he expresses a desire to go elsewhere. If someone offers him something fair for Postma/Chiarot/Stu, I think he would trade them. Not sure many teams would be willing to give up much for any of them though.

Edited by Ducky

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I assume we get some late draft picks and a 3rd pairing defense and dump off some dead weight

I'd agree with this. 

Guys like Perreault Stafford Pavelec even... thorburn... they could all be moved. What you get for them? Dunno. Guess we shall see. He certainly won't be making any big changes tho.  Not until after the expansion and entry draft 

6 pts behind St Louis, LA and Nashville for wild card... and they all have 1-2 games in hand - Calgary and Van ahead of us now too

Jets better be sellers...  but they have nothing.

Who is going to pick up Stafford for their playoff run?  Montreal?  Ottawa?

Maybe Matthias?  He's had a good season and is a low cap hit

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

6 pts behind St Louis, LA and Nashville for wild card... and they all have 1-2 games in hand - Calgary and Van ahead of us now too

I'd keep Matthias.

14 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'd agree with this. 

Guys like Perreault Stafford Pavelec even... thorburn... they could all be moved. What you get for them? Dunno. Guess we shall see. He certainly won't be making any big changes tho.  Not until after the expansion and entry draft 

I'd be shocked in Perreault was moved.  Stafford, Pavs and Thorburn are definitely the guys who could/should be traded but I doubt we can get anything of any real value for them... maybe late picks (5th-7th depending on the guy).

We should be sellers but like Floyd said... we have very little to move.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nothing wrong with collecting draft picks. Should trade everyone they can that aren't in future plans and have expiring contracts. 

Exactly. If we are out of the playoffs, trade Staf, Thorbs, Postma, Peluso, even Strait if you can get a 6th round pick for him....doubt it though. Trade them for whatever you can get for them; however, if Thorbs thinks his career is finsished and he is retiring and doesn't wanna go play for someone else, I don't trade him and let him ride the pine.....all those years of service means something and you aren't getting much for him anyway. I think he probably goes to play overseas next year though.

What is screwing things up is the fact that the play of the team, no matter the reason, says the team isn't going to make the playoffs but the standing say there is still a chance. How can Chevy not go for it if he has a chance of making the playoffs? If we are in the hunt at the TD, I say go for it and become buyers not sellers. trade a forward or two and/or a draft pick or two for a legit D man. Put him on 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing but pick up someone responsible in his own zone and preferably has some playoff experience.

I doubt we are in a hunt for the post-season by the end of the month but  you never know. The way our division is, 7 or 8 wins out of the next 11 or 12 games and we are probably right in the mix. The problem is that we only have 8 games left before the TD...

edit ... Regarding Thorburn...I am pretty sure the roster limit is expanded right after the TD. I think there is no limit.

Edited by Ducky

8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

What is screwing things up is the fact that the play of the team, no matter the reason, says the team isn't going to make the playoffs but the standing say there is still a chance. How can Chevy not go for it if he has a chance of making the playoffs?

NSH is 6 pts ahead with two games in hand

LA is 6 pts ahead with a game in hand

Calgary is 5 pts ahead

Vancouver is tied with us with two games in hand

The Jets are not making the playoffs.  They had their chance at a 'streak' in Colorado and blew it.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

They were saying on the radio today they figure the Jets can only lose 5 or 6 more games max the rest of the way if they want to make the playoffs.  

Not gonna happen. 

That would put us in the 90 point territory which would get u in based on how the west has played this year. Simple but unrealistic math. Teams in the playoffs get better post All-Star and the teams that are not in the playoffs get worse.

Exception being Jets at the end last year.

Put it this way...we have 54 points in 56 games played. Aka below 500. 

We have 26 games left. 

Let's just pretend they win 20 of those games.. that's 40 points... bringing them up to 94 points and probably a playoff spot.

But... let's be a little more realistic here and say they win 15 games and lose 11. 

I think that is still being generous... they are a 500 team... 5 and 5 in the last 10 games even... but 15 wins = 30 points. 30 plus 54 = 84 points.  It's not gonna be enough and I'd say 15 wins probably doesn't happen either.  I'd say 84 points is probably the maximum number of points they get... and they probably gonna need 90 plus 

26 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That would put us in the 90 point territory which would get u in based on how the west has played this year. Simple but unrealistic math. Teams in the playoffs get better post All-Star and the teams that are not in the playoffs get worse.

Exception being Jets at the end last year.

Ya... jets need to go 18-8 in their last 26 to get 90 points.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN 

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The Jets will go on their classic post trade deadline 'run' and win just enough games to pick in the mid-teens instead of the top ten.

Jets are a good team when there is nothing on the line.

They say that outside of Patrick and Hishier that there isn't much difference between the guy you get a 3 4 5 and the guy you get a 10 12 14. 

Jets have picked 13th once... Morrissey. 

The other times they have missed the playoffs have all been top 9 picks. 

They are 4th last in the entire league and teams all have games in hand. They likely will have a top 5 pick 

Edited by Goalie

12 hours ago, Floyd said:

Penguins, he seems to fit their late season pick-up mo.

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Won't happen before the deadline but I would consider making a serious play at trading for Scott Darling before the expansion draft.  Guy is ready to carry a larger role and Chicago would likely be interested since he could be a realistic candidate to be plucked by Vegas.

Being Chicago would it surprise anyone if Crawford was dumped because of those crazy/stupid-azz contracts to Toews and Kane?