The Expansion Draft

Ducky

33 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah thats probably my play if Im Chevy (and what do I know).  If normally you'd offer a 2-3 year extension, you say you will add two years of security if he will waive his NMC.  The risk to Toby is that vegas might actually pick him.  Then again, Jets could get assurances from Vegas that they would not pick Toby.  So you get him to waive his NMC, leave him exposed and it allows you to protect more players.  Toby gets a bigger/longer extension.

If Toby wants to leave, he might as well waive too.  If Vegas picks him, he'd be their top LHD and a UFA the following year anyway.

There would be some advantages for Enstrom, to be sure.

I'm not sure why the Golden Nuggets wouldn't take him, unless they didn't see value in one of the other kids. I'm not sure why they would agree to not take him either.

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

There would be some advantages for Enstrom, to be sure.

I'm not sure why the Golden Nuggets wouldn't take him, unless they didn't see value in one of the other kids. I'm not sure why they would agree to not take him either.

North of 30, high priced, UFA in a year.  All the reasons no point in taking him versus having a shot at Lowry, Armia, Dano who they'd control for several more years.

If Vegas probably wouldnt take him anyway and the Jets asked for an assurance of that, Vegas would say "okay, but to give you that assurance, we want a 4th round draft pick or a lower level player" (plus they still get their regular pick off the Jets).  So unless Toby was someone they desperately wanted (and if they did, the Jets would have to protect him and they wouldnt get him anyway), then Vegas gets two assets instead of one they didnt really want.

The better reason for Vegas not to agree is that by agreeing, it lets the Jets protect three more player (is it three??) so Vegas' pool to pick from is smaller.  But again, to get them to agree to that, you have to make it worth their while.  if they look at the Jets and see 3-4 guys they'd be happy to take, and the Jets offer them a second asset to accept a smaller pool of 1-2, then Vegas still gets what they want and a second asset.

There could also be future considerations involved where the Jets help them out with a trade later.

Yes if they cant do a deal with Trouba (or know they can, since they cant til July 1) then trading him early is an option.  But again, you want to get back assets you dont have to protect, so 1-2 year players.  Jets said they wanted a "now" player. 

I strongly suspect, if Toby didnt have a NMC, they'd simply expose him.

If the Jets still have Trouba, Buff, Myers and Enstrom come the expansion draft, they will have to go 8-1. Helle is probably a no-brainer as is Scheif, Wheeler and Little.

The 4th player protected will probably be largely decided by how the players play this year. This makes for even more competition among the players.

The Jets will lose one of Armia, MP, Dano, Lowry or Copp. It will hurt but not THAT much. Any one of those will be replaced from within without too much of a drop off.

Can Lowry become consistent enough to sway their minds towards him?

Can Armia stay healthy upon his return and impress enough in the time he will have?

Will they move MP back to LW and let him shine?

Do they want to lose a sparkplug like Dano that can put the puck in the net and loves the front of the net?

I think if these players are available, no way do they take Copp. If they go 7-3-1, Copp will probably be chosen providing they aren't taking a D man.

My deal of the day...Vegas picks Stuart and we make a trade with them...we get a 6th rounder and they get a 2nd and a 4th. Stu only gets 1.75m but his AAV is 2.625m. This helps Vegas make the cap floor more easily. They waive Stu and he is the captain of their AHL team. They are picking 30 players and can only hold on to 23. The rest go down do they not?

Just thinking of some of the deals that might be made in those 3? days Vegas has to submit their list.....for instance, Chevy makes a deal where Vegas drafts a player (D man?) Chevy wants and Chevy makes sure a player is available for them to pick.

It's Perreault and it's obvious.  

Jets aren't gonna sign him to a 4 year extension only to expose him. 

Armia is not a 2nd line winger... not a chance. He's a defensively responsible 3rd line winger. Points aren't there for being a 2nd liner. 

Edited by Goalie

Armia was arguably the best forward when he went down and was beginning to almost dominate shifts. He was dragging Lowry and Matthias with him. Imagine what he would do with Little and a competent LWer?

edit... and a beast on the PK.

Edited by Ducky

pfttt. You must have a short memory. I remember Armia ALWAYS playing a defensively smart game. I remember Armia going in the corners and against the boards and coming out with the puck and winning his battles. I remember Armia setting up his linemates numerous times every game, not just against Dallas. I also remember Armia being a very, very good PKer.....something he has done most of his career.

Armia is a bottom 6 forward tho. If he comes back in January or whatever and starts lighting it up... you got a decision to make for sure. Cuz he's got a bunch of potential.  When he's on he's very very good. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets maybe buy out Enstrom or trade Myers(or Trouba if he truly doesn't want to be here long term) before the expansion draft. 1 of those 3 will more than likely not be a Jet come expansion time.  But then the question becomes... would you rather lose a top 4 D or a bottom 6 forward when you are loaded with forwards.