Game 22 : Donner Party @ In The Wild

The off-side challenge is the stupidest rule in sports.

It reminds me of the toe-in-the-crease debacle of a few years ago.  You're allowed to break a guys hand but half an inch off-side when it has zero impact on the play and its challenged?  Brutal.  They will get rid of that one.  Its worth rescinding immediately actually.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The off-side challenge is the stupidest rule in sports.

It reminds me of the toe-in-the-crease debacle of a few years ago.  You're allowed to break a guys hand but half an inch off-side when it has zero impact on the play and its challenged?  Brutal.  They will get rid of that one.  Its worth rescinding immediately actually.

I'm surprised they didn't fix it in the offseason.

But the NHL is stubborn. They could learn something from the CFL, who are prepared to make changes mid-season (mid-week), if it's the right decision.

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

The coach said he was going to be switching up the lines before the season even started so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. This is a development year not a run for the cup.

I dislike this line very much because it means nothing. All 30 teams are developing in some way or the other. Yes some have more realistic expectations to win it all (re: spend to the cap) but all aspire to make the playoffs full stop.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I dislike this line very much because it means nothing. All 30 teams are developing in some way or the other. Yes some have more realistic expectations to win it all (re: spend to the cap) but all aspire to make the playoffs full stop.

Yes but if the Jets so improvement within their young group but miss the playoffs, they will continue the plan.  if the Pens miss the playoffs, changes will be made.  Desire is the same.  Expectation is different.

27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes but if the Jets so improvement within their young group but miss the playoffs, they will continue the plan.  if the Pens miss the playoffs, changes will be made.  Desire is the same.  Expectation is different.

The Pens have Crosby and Malkin. First overall, generational type player and another, 2nd overall top tier player.

Of course we could also ignore the fact that they weren't in the playoffs for 5 years in order to get those high picks, right?

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Pens have Crosby and Malkin. First overall, generational type player and another, 2nd overall top tier player.

Of course we could also ignore the fact that they weren't in the playoffs for 5 years in order to get those high picks, right?

Dont ignore that.  Because thats what the Jets have been.  Rebuilding, missing playoffs to get good players.  Give it time.  Ofcourse they want to win a cup but when they dont win a cup this year, Chevy isnt going to be demanding someone's head on a platter because that isnt the expectation.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dont ignore that.  Because thats what the Jets have been.  Rebuilding, missing playoffs to get good players.  Give it time.  Ofcourse they want to win a cup but when they dont win a cup this year, Chevy isnt going to be demanding someone's head on a platter because that isnt the expectation.

Okay, I thought you were saying that the Jets should be like the Pens.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

To a degree, I'll accept that. It's a good line.  

I think when we say 'shows improvement', that can be a very debatable and complex type conversation. Every team expects to show improvement, every team, imo, should set the expectation that they will make the playoffs though some teams will adjust their expectations to desire when winning it all comes up.

Let's use the Jets for example, Every year we should 'expect' that the roster compiled should make the playoffs. That is our expectation, not desire, but expectation. That is the culture we are setting here. Yes, it may be a hefty challenge for some teams, but that is the standard we are setting for this team every year. And if we don't we make the playoffs, what necessary changes/developmental approaches to their plan are needed to do that. With that standard set, attracting talented players who are uber competitive can help on top of showing them dollar signs.   I would not want a GM or Coach heading my club to ever walk into a year not expecting to make the playoffs. The only way he gets to say that if his owner has totally handcuffed him or he's taking over a team in complete disarray or he's a first year team that will take some time to mold into his vision. Just my perspective.