NHL Injury Watch 2016/17 season

iHeart

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not sure where this out at least a week thing comes from. Concussions are interesting things. He Def won't play tomorrow but he could be back the next game. The fact that he flew home with the team was at practice watching suggests it's a mild concussion.  There is no time frame on that. It's day to day. 

There are doctors out there that would argue there is no such thing as a mild concussion.  You are either concussed or not. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

All these hits to the head are "clean". But everytime it happens in hockey just like in football there are parents who will see that & refuse to let their kids play those sports so the question becomes, do you let those hits continue?

There are studies that less and less parents are letting there kids play football some have gone to extreme to suggest that football as we know may cease to exist.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

No. It's Matthews and has always been. It's Matthews to lose. Bottom line. .. Toronto vs Winnipeg 

My point is, whether there is a strong bias towards Matthews or not, Laine is in the running. If he continues/increases his strong play and others tail off, some will be forced to award him the Calder. So no, at this stage it's not a done deal.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

My point is, whether there is a strong bias towards Matthews or not, Laine is in the running. If he continues/increases his strong play and others tail off, some will be forced to award him the Calder. So no, at this stage it's not a done deal.

I don't disagree with what you are saying.  However there are lots of media people out there who get votes who have already declared Matthews the winner 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

what's the penalty for not going to game if you are picked?

Didn't Sid get a game suspension or something a few years ago?

Yes. But Malkin is going to miss the last game prior to the all-star Game, so he's good.

50 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes. But Malkin is going to miss the last game prior to the all-star Game, so he's good.

The all star game isn't as prestigious ad it used to be. It's always meant nothing but now... it's meaningless and basically I'd rather our guys not go and get the much needed rest 

The All Star Game is important to the NHL for marketing and sponsorship purposes.  All their sponsors and corporate partners get to rub elbows with the superstars.  Thats why it embarrasses the NHL when stars back out.

The issue with injury replacements is that guys not selected make plans for those few days.  Many go on vacation or go home etc.  So when a guy is hurt and the NHL selects a replacement, and that player had family plans, its not really fair to make him go.

I'd make the injured player go still.  He can do all the corporate stuff.  As a player I can see why it would suck.  maybe for the first couple of times would be fun, but repeatedly?  Boring.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:59 PM, Rich said:

There are doctors out there that would argue there is no such thing as a mild concussion.  You are either concussed or not. 

There are people who do not like to use the word "mild" in reference to a concussion but you'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor who doesn't agree that there are differing degrees of a concussion.

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

There are people who do not like to use the word "mild" in reference to a concussion but you'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor who doesn't agree that there are differing degrees of a concussion.

Relating to the symptoms?  I've been popped many times.  The last time I foolishly took multiple chair shots to the skull, my symptoms were ferocious.  I was very sick for a few days.