Everything posted by M.Silverback
-
Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless
Nichols is signed for 2020 at $450K per year, but the Bombers have an out in January 2020 where they can let him go without any cap hit. That's where things get tricky, and a lot depends on how we finish. Grey Cup win - I'd say they re-sign Nichols to a Trevor Harris level contract. Not saying I'd be thrilled, but how can you not retain your Grey Cup winning QB? Playoff loss first or second round - not sure. Perhaps Walters and O'Shea realize that paying Nichols $600 - 700K per year is not worth it, and they try to go with a lower cost/higher return option. Streveler, Arbuckle, unknown promising youngster ... for somewhere near $300 per year, and use the remaining money to shore up some other areas of the team. You sell it to the fan base and Nichols as a cap decision versus a statement on him as a player. That's the way I'd go as make believe GM.
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
So is it Lapo or Nichols? I truly am confused. But the offense just isn’t working
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
We’re officially in trouble
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
Not sure why Jefferson isn’t in the NFL. He’s outstanding
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
Managing the sh#t out this game Matty Thin Ice! Check down.
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
I love this. Let’s make Matty Thin Ice a thing.
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
I got O'Shea and Da Bombers 72 - zip tonight. Da Bombers!
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Ha! There are other possible coaches with potential to consider in the wide world of football than ones who have already failed as CFL head coaches. I don't have a list off the top of my head, but they exist. Good old Mike O'Shea was one, and has done pretty, pretty well so far. Just saying, let's not anoint him as a present day Belichik quite yet.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Culture and coach attracting players - That is very important, and a big part of building a consistent winner. A definite O'Shea strength. Hall and Lapo - that might indicate an O'Shea weakness. Failure to hire top coordinators and/or reluctance to replace them. Every coach has strengths and weaknesses. I like O'Shea and he's done well. My rants on this have been just to point out that just being competitive, to me, is not going to be good enough at some point. Not sure what point, but, winning the Grey Cup is the goal. At some point, find me someone who can.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Definitely on the right track. I like what they've done. And, they should only be evaluated on their time here. However, the organization with the spiffy new stadium is accountable for 29 years of no championships. I'm just saying at some point that has to factor into decisions about GM and HC. We're not there yet. I'm not chicken little here.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Agree. I'm not saying they deserve to be fired. The only thing I slightly disagree with is "a lot more time". Bill Belichik and Gregg Popovich have earned a lot more time, because of championships. Same with Hufnagel. O'Shea and Walters, have earned "more time". They are on the right path, and have built a contender. I'm just not ready to appoint them as GM and HC for life. And I do think at some point championships matter.
-
GDT-Stumps @ Bombers
Ha! This is also the reason maybe teams and the league limit assistant coaches talking to the media. They're just not as savvy at what not to say. "43 mental errors" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence as a fan. So, you're saying our defense is bad? And I should take out my credit card and buy some tickets? At the very least if I were O'Shea I'd give him a how to speak to the media briefing. Short version - try to tell the fans we're doing great! Buy some tickets! All will be well!
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
I agree with you both. Plus, I like what Walters and O'Shea have done. And, I like consistency in a franchise's coaching and management. But, I also think in a 9 team league it's fair as a ticket buying fan base to expect a championship more than once every 29 years. I get that there are so many factors that go into winning the Grey Cup, with luck being part of it. But, using Calgary as the standard - 3 Grey Cup wins since 2008. That buys management and coaches a lot more leeway. Again, I'm not calling for anyone's jobs. But, at some point competitiveness and getting into the playoffs has to amount to more. And, I guarantee there are coaches out there looking at this team who think they could get us there.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Good point regarding coaching changes. It's never a binary choice. I'm not on the fire O'Shea bandwagon at present. However, at some point as an organization you have to measure a coach's performance against the ultimate goal - championships. Did you get to that level, did you win? I like what O'Shea and Walters have done. But, I can't say I'd be satisfied with say three more seasons of 9 or 10 wins then a first round playoff knock out. Not sure I'd take two more seasons of that. At some point you have to ask how do we get to the next level? And your current regime may not be capable of it. Or at least parts of it - maybe the coordinators have to go as step 1. It's one of the reasons why the Toronto Raptors fired coach of the year Dwane Casey. Very good coach. Wasn't able to elevate the team. It's why Paul Maurice will be fired at some point too.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
I agree, he's pretty secure. No imminent danger. But, don't you think if the Bombers continue to slide, creep into the playoffs, continue to ride with mediocre game managing Nichols, lose first round, that O'Shea might be on the hot seat? I'm not on the fire O'Shea bandwagon. But unless you're name is Popovich or Belichick, as a coach, you will be fired at some point. Even Belichick was fired in the past.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Certainly looks like it. The coaches must be going nuts watching the game film. I'd be screaming at the video. Again, for self preservation as a head coach, one more outing like that from my starting QB and I'd go with Streveler just to try to save my job.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
I do feel for Harris. Really amazing the level he's playing at given his age. With that said, why not keep riding that horse after he gets 100 yards first half?! Pretty clear the Argos couldn't stop him. And "game manager" at least implies to me that your QB can sustain a 20 point lead with a some time consuming drives. Hey, I've given up on 300 yard games with 3 touchdowns. I'll settle for eating the clock when you're up. Trestman - are you suggesting him as a coach? I vote hard no. He looked like a shell of his former Calvillo mentor self last couple of opportunities. Pierce - I'm game to give him a try. Looks like he's in line to get an opportunity somewhere. No idea if he's ready, but I think we've seen peak Lapo. Hall - he has to go. He had to go two seasons ago. Talk about talent - player by player we're top three in defensive talent in the CFL. No excuse for making MBT look like Aaron Rodgers last night.
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Agree that Bighill has not been "bad". But, he's an NFL level talent. I expect a difference maker who makes big plays every game. Like Jefferson has been. I hold him to a much higher standard than a replacement level player. Defensive player of the year. Based on that, he's not playing at that level. That's why I think he's likely still a bit injured. And I do agree that the Richie Hall soft zone scheme and telegraphed blitz package is not making anyone look great on the Bomber D. And we've seen this scheme for how many seasons now?
-
Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows
Bighill - Yeah, I love the guy, but he's barely noticeable out there. I wonder if he's still injured. Hamstring injuries can really linger and are more limiting than most think. I fear a first round knock out as well. Even a Western final knockout I think signals time for some changes. QB for sure. Both coordinators. Head coach ... maybe.
-
Regular Season Bomber News
It's possible. I suspect BC might still rationalize Reilly's huge contract by placing the blame on the lack of quality talent around him. In other words, he'd be great if he had a good OL, WR's, etc. Forgetting that one of the reasons you don't is because of his contract. And BLM - he could still come back, be the hero in the playoffs and win a Grey Cup. So, I think we're in for a couple of more seasons of teams throwing crazy money at QB's. Just hope Walters isn't one of them.
-
Regular Season Bomber News
Agree. The big thing to consider is the next Nichols contract. Riding out 2020 with his $400K deal is still pretty good from a pure dollars perspective. But, there's no way I'd be willing to pay Mike Reilly or BLM money for him the year after. So, might be best to move on from him regardless of the outcome this year, and pass the torch to Streveler or some other lower priced option with potential.
-
Regular Season Bomber News
It does. And the Bombers have an out mid January without any cap implications. It's going to be a tough decision. Likely easier if we poop the bed in the playoffs.
-
CFL Players in NFL Training Camps
Exactly. Bighill definitely confirms this. The thing that surprised me a bit in the podcast was the perspective some coaches (he mentions Sean Payton) have towards special teams players. Basically, some teams don't place a value on a high performing special teams player, versus dressing your "best 53 players". So, you could have a LB who is great on special teams who doesn't make the game day roster because a DB or WR is considered one of the best 53 players, even if they are not as good on specials. I suppose special teams are less important in the NFL given most kick offs are touch backs, and most punts aren't returned.
-
CFL Players in NFL Training Camps
Duke would be an awesome addition for any CFL team. I have a feeling though that he may stick around the NFL this year, even if it's on a practice roster. Zylstra I think is on his last chance in the NFL. He's talented enough, I just think that if he can't crack the roster this year and actually play (he only had one reception last season, and played special teams), I think the Vikings will move on from him and keep one of the players they drafted low in his place. Related to that, I highly recommend listening to Adam Bighill on the 3downnation podcast talking about CFL players trying to make NFL teams. In short, it's an uphill battle for so many reasons that don't necessarily have to do with talent.
-
CFL Players in NFL Training Camps
Zylstra is on the bubble in Minnesota. Hope for his sake he makes the roster, but, he's high on my Bomber wish list, even with our improved receiver depth.