Playing With Pokemans

Chaosmonkey

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Wow nerd.

I want to but it's not out on Android in Canada, officially.

< wow nerd. Never played pokeman seems like the biggest thing in a long time though. Any thing that gets kids out side and movin is a great thing in my books.

Theres a few ppl playing this at red river college right now but this morning at mcdonalds there was a group of full grown construction workers playing this. I have like a -10% interest in pokemon, I stopped going on fb for a few days cuz the either pro pokemon or pokemon bashing has completely destroyed my news feed

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

^ Exactly. Getting you "out of the house" doesn't mean you're interacting with others nor does it mean you're getting any exercise. I can play Pokemon from a car. 

You're right it doesn't mean those things.  It means it's getting you out of the house.

people can walk around in their house. I see people walking around with their face in their phones,  not watching where they are going and not actually interacting with anything outside. I get asked several times a day by cashiers and random people if i found the pokemons in the store or area, im like i dont play and they look disappointed.

I do like those FB memes about it being a government app that can monitor your actual activities, not just be a blip on a gps radar,  saw one that it could eventually be a military strategy to get large amounts of people into specific areas for locked on bombing locations. total BS but kind of scary if ever...

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

I downloaded it out of curiosity and I have to say I don't really "get it"... I mean it's cool from a technology standpoint but the actual game itself isn't that fun, IMO.

But I'm even more puzzled by the people who seem to actively hate the game's existence.  Seems to be a very "damn kids today!!" sort of vibe to it.

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You're right it doesn't mean those things.  It means it's getting you out of the house.

Yeah, I don't think you're understanding. The common answer to "why the hell are you playing that stupid game" is "it gets me out of the house". They then go on to explain that getting out of the house means they're doing a lot of walking and interacting with people which is what I'm saying BS to. 

I've read some crazy things of people wanting to come into your house, going into your yard, some idiot walked off a cliff apparently, idiots playing it while driving or biking, etc.  The stupidity goes on and on. 

24 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah, I don't think you're understanding. The common answer to "why the hell are you playing that stupid game" is "it gets me out of the house". They then go on to explain that getting out of the house means they're doing a lot of walking and interacting with people which is what I'm saying BS to. 

I've read some crazy things of people wanting to come into your house, going into your yard, some idiot walked off a cliff apparently, idiots playing it while driving or biking, etc.  The stupidity goes on and on. 

The common answer?  How many people have you angrily interrogated about playing Pokemon?

And I've had people ask me if I play to start conversation when they don't have their phone out and I've seen kids out in our street walking innocently with their phones who I've never seen out before. I've also talked to parents who rarely go out with their kids go out and hunt Pokemon together. Oh yeah, I've also read lots of articles and blogs about and by people who are socializing like they've never before, losing weight, and improving their mental health. With anything this popular you're going to have the idiots, but I've read, seen, and experienced far more good than bad.

The inexplicable hate boggles my mind too...

theres a difference between hate and sheer annoyance of it all. from the zombies glued to their phone causing issues by paying more attention to their phone then their surroundings, to people constantly talking about it anywhere and everywhere you go (especially annoying when you dont play) and its practically destroyed my fb with stupid posts over and over again.   

you like pokemon? great have fun,  but seriously dont infect my world with your childish game, which seems to be unavoidable

10 hours ago, Atomic said:

The common answer?  How many people have you angrily interrogated about playing Pokemon?

I bug a lot of people at work about it.  Plus I've read a few reddit pages where people were asking why they play it so much and most people's answer is that "it gets them out of the house".

Edited by Logan007

8 hours ago, StevetheClub said:

And I've had people ask me if I play to start conversation when they don't have their phone out and I've seen kids out in our street walking innocently with their phones who I've never seen out before. I've also talked to parents who rarely go out with their kids go out and hunt Pokemon together. Oh yeah, I've also read lots of articles and blogs about and by people who are socializing like they've never before, losing weight, and improving their mental health. With anything this popular you're going to have the idiots, but I've read, seen, and experienced far more good than bad.

The inexplicable hate boggles my mind too...

Playing games with your kids is fine.  But no one is losing weight on this unless they are playing it ridiculously long.  Sorry.  There's more then just walking around a bit to help you lose weight.  You have to eat properly as well.  Also, the benefits of walking only work if you're are walking continuously, not stopping every 5 minutes to catch a Pokemon.

I'm not saying playing this game is all bad, I'm just saying that there isn't enough evidence to support everything people are touting.  I'm guessing most of the posts are BS of the health benefits.  I was a kid once too that use to play games, and I used to tell my mom BS answers too as to why I was playing for so long "oh it's so good for hand eye coordination" and all that.  But don't try telling me that after one week of playing you've gotten these miraculous healing benefits.  I get mental benefits from playing games too...until it gets boring and I drop it and I go right back to where I was before.  As someone who deals with depression myself, I know that, yes, getting out is a good thing, but once this games gets boring, they'll bounce right back to where they were before.  To truly help your depression you need to get to the root of why you're depressed, and work through it, not play a game that makes you forget your depressed for a while.  And just wait till they stop playing the game...unfortunately some will drop deeper then they were before.  It's the same with losing weight.  Unless you keep up with the walking and exercise once you're done with the game, you'll need to keep up with it or you'll just go right back to gaining weight again.

Until something has been proven to last a long time and you've done long term studies on it, don't give me these "health benefits".  If you want to play a game, then man up and say it..."I'm addicted to this ******* thing and I don't care what you think".  Don't walk around saying "Ooooh I play it because of Health benefits" (which was my original argument).  Come on...pull my other leg.

Edited by Logan007

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

theres a difference between hate and sheer annoyance of it all. from the zombies glued to their phone causing issues by paying more attention to their phone then their surroundings, to people constantly talking about it anywhere and everywhere you go (especially annoying when you dont play) and its practically destroyed my fb with stupid posts over and over again.   

you like pokemon? great have fun,  but seriously dont infect my world with your childish game, which seems to be unavoidable

To each his own, I suppose. I don't play, have never played any Pokemon games, and never intend to. Still, I see people walking around and talking about it, having fun, and enjoy it. It's certainly better for my health to have that approach.