Odds and Sods - Game 3 - Bombers at TigerCats

31 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Bob will retire. I can't ever see him working for anyone else.

That's too bad. He'll always be the voice of the Bombers to me.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, Noeller said:

I'm sick of seeing receivers being given a massive cushion and allowed to just sit at the first down marker with nobody anywhere near them. Drives me bonkers. 

Oh and @Root the CJOB pre-game show is BY FAR the best one....their post game show is only marred by the awful phone-in portion, which would be better served as more interviews from the locker room or at least post-game talk from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about. CJOBs coverage of the Bombers is fantastic, and even though I know they won't keep the rights when the contract is up, I sincerely wish they could...their product right now is fantastic.

I wouldn't say FAR BETTER. I quite enjoy 1290's pre-game cuz they're harder markers vs. Irving who's track record indicates about 40 years of enabling bomber coaching and management. Obviously a sports lifer like Irving is superior to an up n comer like Darrin Balming - and CJOB, by virtue of being the rights-holder is given priority access to bomber coaches, players and alumni. TSN is far more entertaining because Bluto is a hoot and Westwood, if you can ignore his hi-pitched rants (only his morning show partner Matt "Screech" Libel is worse) is actually well-versed in the sport and especially bomber history.

1290 is far more critical of the product - obviously they're not the right-holder while Irving tends to protect some of the bomber coaches, GM, scouts, etc.

They're both very good shows. I listen more to 1290 cuz the coach's remarks CJOB post-game is kinda trite and loaded with too much double talk clichés.

Bob will retire when Bob wants to retire (realistically when CJOB's current contract with the bombers runs its course). At that point the only real sports guys left at CJOB are full-time sports director Kelly Moore & part-time Keith McCulloch . . . Keith being the grandson of legendary Winnipeg sportswriter Jack Matheson.

Moore is up there in age so he might retire, too but McCulloch will either stay on at CJOB as a newsman or head to another province.

Moore would be good with Jets hockey at 1290. Far better than Brian Munz who's probably the most boring hockey broadcaster I've heard.

Jim Toth, formerly the evening sports radio talk host at CJOB has done a couple bits with 1290 but hasn't joined them to date. He'll probably get a part-time gig with any of the wpg. TV stations but they don't address sports on TV (other than Jets games) like they used to. Ask Kevin O and Mitch from CBC.

I get that you're on the payroll over there on Pembina, and that's cool...I'd be totally on board, too. I can imagine the "Us Against Them" mentality and it'd be a real driver. As someone who "gets it" and someone who's also a fan listening from afar, it's just not even a comparable broadcast. Bob + Ed Tait + Doug Brown = CFL Radio Broadcast Perfection. It's everything TSN should be striving for, and I have no doubt they are! Bob's going to retire as soon as this contract is up, and then TSN will buy the rights and try to find someone to take over PBP (I honestly don't believe anyone in town currently that is able to take over right now) and it'll suck for a couple years, but they'll eventually get it...time moves on and people will come to enjoy *that* broadcast, as a whole new generation makes it theirs.

22 hours ago, Noeller said:

I get that you're on the payroll over there on Pembina, and that's cool...I'd be totally on board, too. I can imagine the "Us Against Them" mentality and it'd be a real driver. As someone who "gets it" and someone who's also a fan listening from afar, it's just not even a comparable broadcast. Bob + Ed Tait + Doug Brown = CFL Radio Broadcast Perfection. It's everything TSN should be striving for, and I have no doubt they are! Bob's going to retire as soon as this contract is up, and then TSN will buy the rights and try to find someone to take over PBP (I honestly don't believe anyone in town currently that is able to take over right now) and it'll suck for a couple years, but they'll eventually get it...time moves on and people will come to enjoy *that* broadcast, as a whole new generation makes it theirs.

In a perfect world, Knuckles will go on a Vin Scully-esque run. But as many others have pointed out once CJOB's current contract runs out it seems like a no brainer to move over to TSN, especially given the TV contract I would imagine they can use that as leverage in radio rights negotiations. I don't envy whoever fills the PBP chair there though, there will be a lot of vitriol for the first few years.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:03 PM, Root said:

Pretty good comparison. If memory serves Joey had a slightly stronger arm than Masoli but wasn't as mobile. (neither guy is the reincarnation of Damon Allen or Doug Flutie).

Both guys minds are infested with mistakes. But Masoli is playing in a better system so he's still in the league while Joey is shining shoes or drawing small stores.

Actually, he was hired as a member of the Indianapolis Colts scouting staff.