Perreault given 4 year extension

Love Perreault as a player, but I have mixed feelings on this deal.

He is probably going to be a 3rd line player for us going forward (with the ability to move up with injuries).  $3M for a 3rd line player is good value.  $4M is getting pricey.

CapFriendly is also reporting that there is a modified no trade clause.  NTC makes sense in this negotiation as he is signing a year early before becoming a FA and he would want some protection against being an expansion pick.

If true, we will have to protect him in the expansion draft. so time to redo your protected lists....

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Love Perreault as a player, but I have mixed feelings on this deal.

He is probably going to be a 3rd line player for us going forward (with the ability to move up with injuries).  $3M for a 3rd line player is good value.  $4M is getting pricey.

CapFriendly is also reporting that there is a modified no trade clause.  NTC makes sense in this negotiation as he is signing a year early before becoming a FA and he would want some protection against being an expansion pick.

If true, we will have to protect him in the expansion draft. so time to redo your protected lists....

I thought this until I looked at some of the comparables.

Helm @ 3.8, Sutter @ 4.375 and Bozak @ 4.2 has me loving this contract.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I agree that he's a third line guy; however, with injuries, he can easily walk onto the first or second and fit in immediately. Also, when the team struggles, Perreault can be moved up and down and help any line.

Versatility is why I like him as a player and the contract term and value.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Agreed with Mike.  Good contract for a very versatile player.  Wing.  Center.  2nd line.  3rd line.  Glad to see him become a core piece of the Jets.  Wasnt he in most people's list of protected forwards?

Doesnt a modified NTC mean he does NOT have to be protected?

He wasn't in peoples lists (at least not mine) because he was going to be a UFA.  So you could re-sign him after the expansion draft if you let this contract expire (with the risk of losing him in FA).

A modified NTC means that if the Jets go to him and say they want to trade him, he has negotiated a number of teams he can exclude at that time.  A full no trade clause would mean you just can't trade him unless he says okay.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Also this contract kicks in in the 2017 season so the NTC would also kick in there, right?  Meaning he's not a required protected player.

Good question.

The expansion draft is June 21, 2017. two days before the entry draft.  When does the NHL season officially "roll over".

I wonder what contract year they will look at to decide how to apply the expansion draft rules.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

He wasn't in peoples lists (at least not mine) because he was going to be a UFA.  So you could re-sign him after the expansion draft if you let this contract expire (with the risk of losing him in FA).

A modified NTC means that if the Jets go to him and say they want to trade him, he has negotiated a number of teams he can exclude at that time.  A full no trade clause would mean you just can't trade him unless he says okay.

I understand but you said the Jets have to protect him.  Do you mean have to as in, dont want to lose him or have to as in obligated to under the terms of the expansion draft rules?  My understanding is Jets do NOT have to protect him but obviously if they dont, Vegas would be very interested in him

Just now, Rich said:

Good question.

The expansion draft is June 21, 2017. two days before the entry draft.  When does the NHL season officially "roll over".

I wonder what contract year they will look at to decide how to apply the expansion draft rules.

I believe July 1 is the new contract year.  So the draft is 2016/2017.  Which is why we luck out on the first year player thing.  Is it first year or first & second year that are exempt?

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I like this signing but now I'm really confused why Chevy couldn't pull the trigger on Frolik - its almost the same deal for the same type of player.  Must have really been something up behind the scenes.

Frolik wanted more term and more money and reportedly his wife wasnt a fan of the city.  What he signed for in Calgary is comparable but wasnt the rumor he asked for more from Wpg?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I understand but you said the Jets have to protect him.  Do you mean have to as in, dont want to lose him or have to as in obligated to under the terms of the expansion draft rules?  My understanding is Jets do NOT have to protect him but obviously if they dont, Vegas would be very interested in him

I meant obligated under the expansion draft rules.  But I think you are right, the NTC won't kick in until after the expansion draft.  

Here is the NHL's expansion rules:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Gist of it is that No Movement Clauses must be protected.  Doesnt look like No Trade Clauses do.  Which makes sense since expansion to Vegas would be a movement but not a trade.

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

B) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Probably moot point as Jets wont lose him for nothing.  He will be protected.

I'm not quite as sure. Now I haven't poured over the details very much - but are there not specified minimum limits of salary that must be met with exposed players? Depending on that number, it may be hard to reach if you're exposing ALL our lowered paid players - a la Hutch, Dano, Lowry, Coop etc.

Probably much ado about nothing.  Love the player, don't hate the contract. Happy to have you Matty P! 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Here is the NHL's expansion rules:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Gist of it is that No Movement Clauses must be protected.  Doesnt look like No Trade Clauses do.  Which makes sense since expansion to Vegas would be a movement but not a trade.

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

B) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

It is a NMC.  It is a limited or modified NMC, meaning he has to give a list of teams.

The No-Movement Clause:

A No-Movement Clause prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player’s consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless the player approves one of these moves. The player has the final say.  Some players will often have a limited trade list here as well.   A No-Movement Clause does not restrict a team from buying out or terminating a player’s contract.

The No-Trade Clause:

A No-Trade Clause is much less restrictive.  It only places restrictions on movement by trade.  A player with a No-Trade Clause cannot be traded by a team unless the player provides consent.  A limited (partial or modified) No-Trade Clause is often less restrictive than a full No-Trade Clause and depends on the conditions negotiated in the player’s contracts.  Often with these No-Trade Clauses, the player is asked to provide a list of teams to which he would be willing to be traded or NOT traded to.  This list can change or fluctuate from season to season. 

There is no reason to provide a NMC that requires protection unless the team was always going to protect him.  So I wouldnt worry about it.  if he has to be protected, then it was because the Jets were always going to.  But again, the new contract kicks in after the expansion draft anyway.

To Jimmy's point I thought the teams had to expose certain amount of salary but I didnt catch that in the rules.  Vegas has to draft 60-100% of the salary cap though. 

Teams must expose:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

People seem very happy about this. I like MP, you can plug him anywhere in the line up and he'll provide good energy, and he'll capitalize on his scoring chances. I'll never forget the game he scored 4 goals and almost potted a 5th! However I think on a good offensive team he belongs on the 3rd line. Not sure I like over 4 million for 4 years, but these are the glue guys that make teams good and they certainly don't come cheap. So overall decent signing!

I think if Jets went to Free Agency to replace him, they'd pay more.  Its a good contract, not a great contract but a good one.  Rewards the player, buys some free agency and recognizes his contributions.  He's played lots of top six minutes so Jets cant very well tell him he's a 3rd line player and expect him to sign for 4 years.

This is actually a really great contract. Perreault makes everyone he plays with better plus that's 4 UFA years bought right now. He took a discount to stay here cuz he probably could have got 4.5 x 4 instead of 4.5 next year and then 4.125 or whatever it is the remaining 3 years. 

Solid deal and as of today if Toby or Myers aren't traded (think one will be)(despite Toby have a NMC,i think the Jets ask him to waive it) and they Keep Buff Trouba Myers but regardless... If they do go the 1 4 4 route... those are your 4 D, plus Scheif,Wheeler,Little,Perreault as the 4 forwards. Helle is the goalie they will protect. 

Fair deal for both sides actually, might even be a bit of a discount actually.