2016 Transportation Plan

Rich

The Bombers have announced the 2016 Transportation Plan.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/06/2016-transportation-plan-announced/

WINNIPEG, MB., June 6, 2016 –   With the football season upon usthe Winnipeg Blue Bombers want to remind fans that there is plenty of on-campus parking for $10 – $20 per vehicle  at the University of Manitoba for anyone wishing to drive to and from home games.

There have been only a few changes to the transportation plan from 2015, most notably the reduction in park and ride routes from nine to seven. The Garden City Shopping Centre and Kildonan Place locations will not be operating in 2016. Riders in the Garden City area are encouraged to use the McPhillips Station park and ride, while Kildonan Place riders can utilize transit route 75 at Kildonan Place, or alternatively can use the Club Regent park and ride.

“We are always looking at ways to reduce the time it takes for our fans to transport to and from games, as well as provide fans a number of transportation alternatives. We feel that reducing the number of park and rides should help speed up the existing process, and also reduce costs of the transportation plan, which the Winnipeg Football Club is responsible for,” said President & CEO, Wade Miller.

Fans can find all updated transportation information at bluebombers.com/park-and-ride/.

Fans should also note that seasonal lane closures throughout the city may be introduced during the season, potentially increasing travel time to Investors Group Field. Always check for current lane closure information prior to travelling to the stadium. Current information can be found at http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/trafficcontrol/laneclosures/.

PARK & RIDE presented by Manitoba Public Insurance

• Non-stop service to and from Investors Group Field
  • Service starts 2 hours prior to kickoff
  • Last buses leave for the stadium 15 minutes prior to kickoff
  • Post-game: All park & ride buses load for departure on Chancellor Matheson Road. The last buses leave the stadium approximately 35 to 45 minutes after the game, final departures are announced in-stadium
  • Cost per game: $5.00 per round trip which is collected upon arrival at Investors Group Field
  • Children under the age of 12 ride for free
  • Park & ride passes for the full regular season are available at the Bomber Ticket Centre in the Bomber Store for $40.00 per person

Park & Ride Super Express Routes include: 

• Route 1 –McPhillips  Station – 484 McPhillips St. with parking for up to 500 cars
  • Route 2 – Club Regent – 1425 Regent Ave West with parking for up to 500 cars (note – space may be limited during construction)
  • Route 3 –Centre Scolaire Leo-Remillard – 1095 St. Anne’s Rd with parking for up to 160 cars
  • Route 4 – Manitoba Hydro – 820 Taylor Ave. with parking for up to 500 cars
  • Route 5 – Assiniboia Downs with parking for up to 300 cars
  • Route 6 – St. Norbert Hotel – 3540 Pembina Hwy with parking for up to 200 cars
  • Route 7 – Southdale Red River Co-op Food Store – 77 Vermillion Road with parking for up to 200 cars

On-Campus Parking: 

• 5,000 paid parking spots on campus
  • Season parking passes and flex pack game day parking passes can be purchased online at Ticketmaster or by calling 204-784-7448
  • Cash parking in regular lots is available for $20 on a first come first served basis for all home games and other special events. Parking passes can be pre-purchased or purchased with cash on game day, based on availability
  • VALUE LOTavailable on the east end of campus at $10 per game. Those wishing to park in the value lot must enter campus via University Crescent where a parking attendant will direct them. Parking passes can be pre-purchased or purchased with cash on game day. Shuttle buses will be available to transport fans to and from the value lot to the stadium.

Taxi Service:

• Taxis can be found on University Crescent outside of Gate 3.

Bike Valet: 

• Fully secure and monitored bike storage for 800 bicycles on game and event days
  • Located at Gate 3
  • About 300 additional unmonitored spots are available throughout campus

Fans can find all updated transportation information at http://www.bluebombers.com/on-campus-parking/

Winnipeg Transit:

• Regular Transit fares will apply on the ride to the game, with the Winnipeg Football Club paying for the return fare
  • The running back shuttle will continue to run during PRE-GAME ONLY. There is no charge to the fans for this service, as this cost is covered by the Winnipeg Football Club. More information on this service can be found at http://www.bluebombers.com/running-back-schedule/
  • Details on Winnipeg Transit routes to Investors Group Field and schedule information can be found at winnipegtransit.com, or by calling 311.

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

So glad this issue has been greatly sorted out in the past few years. 

You knew it had to get sorted out eventually. Things like this don't always work on the first go around. Last year I found the park and ride from the downs to be well planned out and very little complaints. Out of town from my door to the stadium was about 45min! I think the first ever preseason game was like 4hours lol.

Less park and rides would mean less traffic on the road so hopefually this speeds things up a bit more. But they will likely be making more trips now so the other stops may be busier.

Now if only we could do something about that construction....

41 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Is the golf course being torn out & developed? All that room for parking but the U of M won't allow.

Using buses is more efficient than allowing more cars in.  There is essentially two ways in and out of U of M.  Adding more cars by increasing parking would make getting out substantially worse. 

48 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Is the golf course being torn out & developed? All that room for parking but the U of M won't allow.

Regardless of what the big vision is for this land, it would be great to see the walking/biking path developed sooner than later. And not just for Bomber games, this would be a highly used pathway year round.

Navigating through that pitch black golf course after a night game can be quite an adventure....definitely a few safety issues.

10 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Technically there are 3.  Kings Drive on the south.

I don't know if they still do, but we tried exiting through Kings Drive in the first year of the stadium and it was blocked off to avoid traffic congestion in the residential neighbourhood.  

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I don't know if they still do, but we tried exiting through Kings Drive in the first year of the stadium and it was blocked off to avoid traffic congestion in the residential neighbourhood.  

Well yes for Bomber games I think it's blocked off. I was just correcting ICK in the actual # of exits into the University :)

I found the park and ride system to be the best means to get myself and my son to and from the games.

My issue has been with the disorganization after the games, including where and when to load the buses.

Sometimes they load at one spot, sometimes another 10 feet back (or forward). Wouldn't matter except that there is no formal queue system, so it's every person for themselves fighting to get on. There are some really observant and helpful people who try to help those in need get on. That does not include the Transit supervisors who create the mess. They are indifferent to suggestions or complaints and are strictly worried with no one crossing the street to load before it's time. They don't care where the bus stops or make any attempt to help with the queue.

They also choose to load one bus at a time (at the start), which would make sense if there are only a few people trying to get on. However, when you have thousands, it actually delays the departure of buses and does not help. Of course, that's all thrown out the window after 15 to 20 minutes when all the buses seem to open their doors.

Once you get on the bus, all is good. I find it fast and efficient; however, the mess they create leading up to that point is exasperating.

50 minutes ago, wookie said:

u can go out kings drive, never has been blocked going out, u just can not enter thru there, best way out

So you can take Kings drive out to Kilkenny Dr (still one of my favourite street names ;)) and to the South perimeter to exit? Didn't realize that. I live in the NE so I could go back east that way. Thanks ...

Edited by IC Khari

23 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

So you can take Kings drive out to Kilkenny Dr (still one of my favourite street names ;)) and to the South perimeter to exit? Didn't realize that. I live in the NE so I could go back east that way. Thanks ...

Not sure, but I suspect they only let the people who entered on Bison Drive/Chancellor Matheson exit that way.  But who knows?  Try it.  They block off the first 3 residential streets typically, so you can turn off Kings at Silverstone or any street after.