Wrestling

Rich

Kenny Omega was at that U of M show though ,  I think he was wrestling Dan Severen (sp?).  

The WFX experience had a lot of names and some really high quality indie talent on their shows.    They struggled to draw even 150 despite radio and print advertisement. 

I'm a huge fan of Kenny Omega  but I am not sure if ROH could make money in Winnipeg by putting on a show...  the advertising costs would be quite high to get the word out.   

Why not have ROH co-promote a show with PCW as a test run in a slightly larger venue?     

On 8/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, Goalie said:

I honestly think you being friends with him clouds your judgement a wee bit. Yeah hes known but to how many average wrestling fans. Cuz i dont think the average fan follows or are even aware of ROH or New Japan. 

The average fan hasn't heard of ROH or New Japan or PWG or Chikara. 

and thats the thing.. I'm familiar with ROH and New Japan and some of the smaller indie outfits.. and I truly only knew of Kenny Omega from his connection to Winnipeg.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Holy hell. If you havent watched Takeover Brooklyn 3.. Do it. Incredible top to bottom. New Champs. Debuts. Was insane. 

PS: Aleister Black is the next big thing 

Drew McIntyre has certainly improved as a wrestler from his time in the WWE before.  I was impressed with him remembering what he was like before. 

I'm surprised they put Drew over so soon but he's got it all to be a top guy. He should be nxt champion for making time with the caveat that changes is Vince decided to call him up sooner. 

Also surprised about the ring of honor clique. I had heard it was possible but didn't think they'd be so obvious about it. But I like it. Makes all three guys better than they'd likely be as singles. 

I like Black but I don't think vince will love him. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Corbin the worst big man in the WWE. He is bland, vanilla, a seen it all before character & mid card talent. Trade Corbin back to NXT for McIntyre. He has a personality at least & a bit of charisma compared to Corbin. 

And his push might be over.  From cashing in and losing to losing like that to Cena, it might be over.  He better hope Cena gave a glowing report to Vince or he's in trouble. 

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Biggest difference between main roster and NXT.. Vince has very little to zero say with NXT. Summerslam gets a MEH. 

NXT was certainly better than Summerslam.  My PVR screwed up so I only saw it from Styles/Owens on (and caught Balor/Bray later).  Styles/Owens was good, not great.  Way too much nonsense with Shane.  Its basically a similar story to when Michaels was guest ref for Bret vs Undertaker in 97 and as I recall, HBK was not being constantly bumped.  So when he was, it meant something.  I like Shane and if the direction is, as it seems, Owens vs Shane, that's perfectly fine.  But they over-booked this match.

Jinder vs Nak was terrible.  Jinder is playing the part well and I get the point.  But what a dis-service to the rest of your talent to position Jinder as World Champion.  And I just cant see Vince ever getting Nak enough to really put him over.

Main event four way was good.  They did what I figured they do - the swerve being there was no swerve.  In many ways, it was awesome actually, especially how Roman took the pin.  Joe is still the guy if they took off the blinders but they see Stroman as the guy now.

I dont think Strowman will have lasting power.  He cant sell very well, which will lose the sympathy eventually. 

The four way was a great example of how bad WWE is.  Roman, their choice for top face, boo'ed out of the building.  Joe, their choice for not a top guy was cheered heavily.  Strowman, their choice for top heel, was cheered wildly. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont think Strowman will have lasting power.  He cant sell very well, which will lose the sympathy eventually. 

The four way was a great example of how bad WWE is.  Roman, their choice for top face, boo'ed out of the building.  Joe, their choice for not a top guy was cheered heavily.  Strowman, their choice for top heel, was cheered wildly. 

IMHO Strowman was best served as the muscle for someone else on the stick (Wyatt for example). With Bray and Strowman on the same program these days I wonder if they will try to resurrect that plot somewhere down the road.  

I also wouldn't mind seeing him act as a goon for hire (kinda like APA back in the early 2000's) . I could see guys like Enzo (if he gives up on the Big Show), and the Miz seeking his services every now and then.  Either that or he needs himself a Paul Heyman, or some sort of manager to level off what he's missing to be the top guy imo

NXT is so overrated that it's painful to hear the way people talk about it.  Just a big collection of d-list wrestlers and washed-up personalities completely devoid of any attempt at a storyline.  Never seen another wrestling show so lame and boring in my life.  Once Bobby Roode gets called up they might as well just cancel the show because there won't be anyone left worth watching.  Half these guys at this point just look like your average joe from down the street.  Zero star power.

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

NXT is so overrated that it's painful to hear the way people talk about it.  Just a big collection of d-list wrestlers and washed-up personalities completely devoid of any attempt at a storyline.  Never seen another wrestling show so lame and boring in my life.  Once Bobby Roode gets called up they might as well just cancel the show because there won't be anyone left worth watching.  Half these guys at this point just look like your average joe from down the street.  Zero star power.

I won't totally disagree with that assessment as I watched both shows. Goalie likes Alisteir Black. I don't watch a wrestling match to just watch kicks which basically was the entire match he was in. I found it boring as nothing else went on during that match. I liked the Roode-McIntyre match. McIntyre impressed me a lot. But c'mon, all the kickouts on the finishers on the NXT Takeover PPV just cheapened the product. Every match, same thing. Kick out after kickout after kickout. I started laughing after awhile watching all the unbelievable kickouts with performers coming back literally from the dead.

As far as Summerslam went, we all knew that Ambrose & Rollins would win the tag team belts. Now we also know what the ongoing plot line will be. Will Rollins turn on Ambrose or will it be Ambrose turning on Rollins? The Cass vs Show with Amore in the suspended shark cage was a terrible match. Probably the worst ever on Summerslam. As far as Jinder Mahal goes, they're doing the same thing with  him as they did with Rollins. He wins always with help from the Bollywood Boyz. Like Rollins, he looks weak. Big mistake. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

If NXT were televised (outside of WWE network) I think I'd have a better appreciation for it, but as it stands it's just a developmental program in my eyes that has inferior talent either trying to learn the ropes or get over enough to jump up to Raw or SD. 

There was an article a while back on canoe that discussed this and how Raw and SD could trade a few wrestlers to NXT to not only breath some new life into both programs, but also prop up NXT a bit in that it is being seen as a desired place to wrestle, not just a stepping stone to bigger and better. 

There was a pretty good list of wrestlers they thought hit a bit of a standstill on the big 2 that could use the scenery change.  For most it was actually former NXT wrestlers, who saw quite a bit of success there, but were completely abandoned once they moved

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Bobby Roode is the only star on Smackdown? 

I mean...ok.  He was literally working less than Adam Cole and Drew before he signed with NXT.  And NXT is a development promotion that also had Neville, Joe, Nak, Owens, Zayn, Charlotte, Banks etc before they were called up and are top stars on their brands.

I think you just summed up a development promotion lol

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

If NXT were televised (outside of WWE network) I think I'd have a better appreciation for it, but as it stands it's just a developmental program in my eyes that has inferior talent either trying to learn the ropes or get over enough to jump up to Raw or SD. 

There was an article a while back on canoe that discussed this and how Raw and SD could trade a few wrestlers to NXT to not only breath some new life into both programs, but also prop up NXT a bit in that it is being seen as a desired place to wrestle, not just a stepping stone to bigger and better. 

There was a pretty good list of wrestlers they thought hit a bit of a standstill on the big 2 that could use the scenery change.  For most it was actually former NXT wrestlers, who saw quite a bit of success there, but were completely abandoned once they moved

It IS a development promotion.  Thats what it is.  Its not trying to be bigger than RAW or SD.   Adam Cole was ROH World Champion. 

There is talk of moving some guys from RAW & SD down but it upsets their financial structure so Im not sure that they will do that.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It IS a development promotion.  Thats what it is.  Its not trying to be bigger than RAW or SD.   Adam Cole was ROH World Champion. 

There is talk of moving some guys from RAW & SD down but it upsets their financial structure so Im not sure that they will do that.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Having shitty wrestlers on Raw & SD would hurt the WWE's bottom line even more I think. Guys like Cass, Amore, Lana, Carmella & Corbin should all be sent down. Roode, Asuka & McIntyre should be sent up.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I know that's what it is technically,  but anytime you have a champs,storylines and PPVs, it tries to take itself a little more serious than what it is,  and I think based on the reactions of fans they see it as a viable separate entity.   I would rather catch a little NXT then the 205 live spill over the do on Raw.  If i had my way the first hour of Raw's 3 would be NXT and the other 2 ran like SD. As long as NXT isn't televised I'll never catch it and i'll likely always think of it as the adopted ginger cousin

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Having shitty wrestlers on Raw & SD would hurt the WWE's bottom line even more I think. Guys like Cass, Amore, Lana, Carmella & Corbin should all be sent down. Roode, Asuka & McIntyre should be sent up.

Hunter's plan was to never bring someone up without a long term story for them.  Vince sometimes changes things though.  I dont disagree, everyone you mentioned is good enough to be called up right now.

Cass & Amore are a good team.  With Carmella, they were a great act.  Should have stayed together.  Vince wanted Cass as a singles.  Corbin, I agree there.  Never saw anything in him at all.  Sending him back to NXT wont help much either. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Hunter's plan was to never bring someone up without a long term story for them.  Vince sometimes changes things though.  I dont disagree, everyone you mentioned is good enough to be called up right now.

Cass & Amore are a good team.  With Carmella, they were a great act.  Should have stayed together.  Vince wanted Cass as a singles.  Corbin, I agree there.  Never saw anything in him at all.  Sending him back to NXT wont help much either. 

Corbin, he has nothing. Maybe he has to go & do what McIntyre did & wrestle for a few years on the Indy circuit working on his character as well as his mic & in ring skills.  Looks like Amore's days with the WWE are coming to an end based on all the stories coming out about how much he is hated in the locker room. Lana doesn't deserve to be in the same ring with the women. She's a valet & a great one for Rusev. If she wants to wrestle then she needs to go to NXT & learn. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Corbin, he has nothing. Maybe he has to go & do what McIntyre did & wrestle for a few years on the Indy circuit working on his character as well as his mic & in ring skills.  Looks like Amore's days with the WWE are coming to an end based on all the stories coming out about how much he is hated in the locker room. Lana doesn't deserve to be in the same ring with the women. She's a valet & a great one for Rusev. If she wants to wrestle then she needs to go to NXT & learn. 

I think the thing with Corin is that he was an NFL player so they felt there was merit in rushing him.  And perhaps he wouldn't bother working indies for years to get better.

Drew had "it" when he debuted years ago too but they dropped the ball, over-pushed him etc.  He's really good though.

I agree about Lana.  She doesnt *have* to wrestle.  Why cant she be a valet?  She was a good character.  I thought the same with Carmella too, should have kept her with Cass.  But she's done alright.