Wrestling

Rich

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Papa Shango was terrible.  There's a reason that gimmick only lasted a year.

Putting Reigns under a mask to "hide" his identity would never work, in the 80's maybe but not these days.  There would be no shock or awe.

Agree on both? Papa Shango? That was back in the days of Doink The Clown & Hillbilly Jim. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Papa Shango was terrible.  There's a reason that gimmick only lasted a year.

Putting Reigns under a mask to "hide" his identity would never work, in the 80's maybe but not these days.  There would be no shock or awe.

Papa Shango was one of my favourites when I was a kid.  I used him all the time in WWF Royal Rumble for Sega Genesis

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The Boogeyman

Another forgettable character. No wonder WCW ratings soared with cartoonish WWE characters like that. The only good thing WCW really did for wrestling was get Vince McMahon unstuck & out of the 70's & 80's. Looking back on some old wrestling shows while some of the wrestlers were great, a lot of them & the characters they portrayed were just so bad. 

29 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it's not about the costume so much as it's how the wrestler brings it to life.

for example,  The first rendition of Kane where his mask was full face and he was mute was worlds better than no/half masked Kane who talked;

Image result for different faces of kane kane

Yet none of these were as good as his original character - Isaac Yankem, DDS.

GlenJacobs15_zps0d964ee1.jpg~c200

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yet none of these were as good as his original character - Isaac Yankem, DDS.

GlenJacobs15_zps0d964ee1.jpg~c200

lol what a dumb character. I was watching some old promo clips of Isaac Yankem from 1995,  I remember the kiss my foot match from King of The Ring 1995 between Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart and the prom night dumpster baby that came from that match was Isaac Yankem's introduction as Lawler had to visit him after he lost and it lead to a Hart vs Yankem feud

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Another forgettable character. No wonder WCW ratings soared with cartoonish WWE characters like that. The only good thing WCW really did for wrestling was get Vince McMahon unstuck & out of the 70's & 80's. Looking back on some old wrestling shows while some of the wrestlers were great, a lot of them & the characters they portrayed were just so bad. 

Boogeyman was around long after WCW closed its doors. Hell of a character... If that guy could wrestle he would have been huge cuz boogeyman was massively over. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Boogeyman was around long after WCW closed its doors. Hell of a character... If that guy could wrestle he would have been huge cuz boogeyman was massively over. 

Boogeyman was after but the WWE was still into cartoon characters when the WCW started it's push by signing Luger, Hall & Nash. They were forced to change how they did things as the WWE was getting killed in the ratings especially after the Outsiders & NwO came along.  Boogeyman was a just holdover from that other era. Yeah, he was over but I question as to how much when he was a mid carder. 

since the WWE is very much aimed at the young fans as much as their older fans, I don't see the harm making a character that can appease both, be a bit cartoonish yet cool enough to tolerate. A character I would roll with is that of an executioner, the possibilities with a character like that could have a high ceiling,  especially if you saddle them up with a loud mouth who thinks of themselves as both Judge and jury and when they deem someone "guilty" the executioner would be the punishment.

30 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

since the WWE is very much aimed at the young fans as much as their older fans, I don't see the harm making a character that can appease both, be a bit cartoonish yet cool enough to tolerate. A character I would roll with is that of an executioner, the possibilities with a character like that could have a high ceiling,  especially if you saddle them up with a loud mouth who thinks of themselves as both Judge and jury and when they deem someone "guilty" the executioner would be the punishment.

You're 20 years too late... they saddled Terry Gordy with that gimmick at the end of his career.

etg09.jpg

Just now, bigg jay said:

You're 20 years too late... they saddled Terry Gordy with that gimmick at the end of his career.

etg09.jpg

lol well unless terry gordy owns the rights,  i think they could definitely revisit the concept and make it a little more modern.

But if I was to put that hood on someone I would have prefered it on someone the size of Braun Strowman, I don't think someone of Reigns size really has that physically imposing size when the other wrestlers aren't that much smaller over all. I think the only wrestler that matches/slightly exceeds Braun's size is the Big Slow 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Boogeyman was a great gimmick .. Extremely over... Kids love the guy... 

Maybe characters like that... You dont get cuz you aren't in their give a crap about age group? 

That was my age group.  Those guys were in their 20's-late 30's back then. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

They'd never put Roman in a mask.  He has a great look.

The Honkytonk Man was arguably a terrible worker but was IC champ for over a year and used to headline arena shows all over the continent.  Legitimately a huge star.  The "gimmick" guy - HTM, Boogeyman, Shango - there is certainly a place for it.  If you had 30 Finn Balors you might have great matches in every segment but it would get old fast.

I finally watched the RAW segment.  I thought Cena *did* go out of his way to cut Roman's balls off a bit.  I assume they spoke beforehand and Roman probably agreed they should give it to each other feeling he could keep up.  He couldn't.  Cena probably felt that he wasnt going to take it easy on Roman if he's supposed to be the big star now and was trying to get an emotional response from him (which it seemed he did).

Roman forgetting his line is a perfect example of why the overly-scripted promos are a problem.  Its hard to remember lines that arent your own.

59 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The ironic thing about Papa Shango is, the performer had obvious charisma but got stuck with a lousy gimmick (I believe he came up with it somewhere else first, maybe Memphis?).  But once he was given the Godfather, he was super over.

He also had a short stint as Kama Mustafa in the Nation of Domination.

But you're right.  Godfather is one of the most iconic figures of the Attitude Era.  The ho-train.  Pimpin ain't easy.  Yeah you're never going to see that again, lol.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He also had a short stint as Kama Mustafa in the Nation of Domination.

But you're right.  Godfather is one of the most iconic figures of the Attitude Era.  The ho-train.  Pimpin ain't easy.  Yeah you're never going to see that again, lol.

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think there's a place for pimps and ho's anymore in the PG WWE, which kind of sucks, the bra and panties matches were always a good time filler