Wrestling

Rich

Just now, Goalie said:

Ive heard heart issues and issues related to years of alcohol abuse. Hope Ric pulls through but with all ive heard over the years.. I can't say im that surprised. 

Flair wrote about this in his book.  He was treated for heart issues related to alcohol several years ago.  he's only 68 but he lived a thousand lifetimes.  When he stood in the ring on RAW and said he wanted to die wrestling he meant it.

But man...this is tough.  So much secrecy as well.  medically induced Coma's are usually for brain injuries but who knows.  Im no doctor.

I know people will talk about Ric's personal life.  But as someone in the business and far more importantly as a fan, Ric Flair is the greatest of all time and he influenced so many people who tried to live their dreams in wrestling.  He's a huge cross over star who influenced athletes in many sports.  He was being talked to about running for Governor of North Carolina at one point and made a lot of money as a State Lottery pitch man.  He's huge. 

It better news, as expected, Adam Cole has signed with WWE and will start with NXT.

Apparently, the Bullet Club merch is off the charts at recent WWE events (not sold there, just worn by fans).  Kenny Omega defeated Okada this week in the G1 and many are saying its the best of their series (their two prior matches got SIX out of five stars from Meltzer) and the final where Naito beat Kenny was considered even better by some.  Omega likely preparing to receive a brinks truck full of money from WWE on Feb 1st!

Saw Ric Flair wrestle Nick Bockwinkel at the Winnipeg Arena as the NWA Champ was wrestling the AWA champ in a unification championship match. I think that was 1984. Both organizations were about to be swallowed up by WWF expansion at the time & were on their last legs. Flair was NWA champ. Two greats going at it. The crafty old vet in Bockwinkel vs the young stud in Flair. In a rare occurrence, Bockwinkel was the face in that match with the crowd at the Arena cheering him on & Flair took a lot of heat as the heel. Flair defeated Bockwinkel to win the unified championship that night. 

Some have reported that this is related to a bacterial infection and alcohol abuse.  One such possibility might be Endocarditis which is a bacterial infection of the heart and can strike those with past issues, which Flair reportedly had and valve surgery can sometimes be required.  Pure speculation on my part.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Some have reported that this is related to a bacterial infection and alcohol abuse.  One such possibility might be Endocarditis which is a bacterial infection of the heart and can strike those with past issues, which Flair reportedly had and valve surgery can sometimes be required.  Pure speculation on my part.

What we do in the past can definitely catch up to us health wise at some point as we age. Sadly, I know first hand about this with a family member who was an alcoholic. Alcoholism didn't kill him per se but the related health effects of drinking sure did. My prayers go out to Ric Flair for a full recovery. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Saw Ric Flair wrestle Nick Bockwinkel at the Winnipeg Arena as the NWA Champ was wrestling the AWA champ in a unification championship match. I think that was 1984. Both organizations were about to be swallowed up by WWF expansion at the time & were on their last legs. Flair was NWA champ. Two greats going at it. The crafty old vet in Bockwinkel vs the young stud in Flair. In a rare occurrence, Bockwinkel was the face in that match with the crowd at the Arena cheering him on & Flair took a lot of heat as the heel. Flair defeated Bockwinkel to win the unified championship that night. 

Probably 86.  Supposedly no video exists and it was a 60 minute draw.  But I've seen video purported to be of this match and it was a double count out, I believe.

Flair was never AWA World Champion so he definitely didnt win the title that night.  They used to do those champion vs champion matches from time to time.  Flair also did a champion vs champion match with WWF Champion Bob Backlund.

Bockwinkle lost his final AWA World title to a young Mr Perfect Curt Hennig.

Flair/Bockwinkle is considered by many to be the greatest match ever held at Winnipeg Arena. if you saw it live, I am very jealous!

My first Winnipeg Arena show was headlined by Hogan vs Jake Roberts in a feud that was aborted too soon because fans kept cheering Roberts.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

http://rajah.com/node/57499

Its his heart and its due to his alcohol abuse. 

Most of these sites are just reading twitter and posting.  TMZ is always a good source as they have strong contacts.  Ryan Satin is a bit of an ambulance chaser but used to work for TMZ.  Meltzer would be the best source as he's legit friends with Flair but he's gone pretty silent.

From Metlzer:

Not much more is clear other than the situation is serious. Flair was to undergo surgery this week, but we're not clear whether this was the original surgery scheduled or a new surgery. There is believed to be a heart issue involved and another issue.

Dave had also indicated when news broke that he knew he was in hospital but it "sounded like a turn for the worse". 

45 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Probably 86.  Supposedly no video exists and it was a 60 minute draw.  But I've seen video purported to be of this match and it was a double count out, I believe.

Flair was never AWA World Champion so he definitely didnt win the title that night.  They used to do those champion vs champion matches from time to time.  Flair also did a champion vs champion match with WWF Champion Bob Backlund.

Bockwinkle lost his final AWA World title to a young Mr Perfect Curt Hennig.

Flair/Bockwinkle is considered by many to be the greatest match ever held at Winnipeg Arena. if you saw it live, I am very jealous!

My first Winnipeg Arena show was headlined by Hogan vs Jake Roberts in a feud that was aborted too soon because fans kept cheering Roberts.

Yes, I saw that match in person. It was the last AWA match I ever witnessed as it was gone soon after. The sands of time have blurred my memory of the ending. I thought Flair won. However, you're the wrestling historian & expert here so if you say the ending was a draw then it was a draw.