Random News Items

Rich

32 minutes ago, basslicker said:

'free'?  'affordable'?

No such thing as 'free healthcare'  We pay through the wazoo in taxes, just to wait in line for hours for healthcare.

And hopefully you don't one of these joke Dr.'s who say;  'You can only bring one issue to my attention per visit.'   What a joke.

True but some would say a universal single pay system should be the core value of society.  The Canadian system isnt perfect.  But its pretty darn good.  And could be better but its almost as much an untouchable sacred cow as guns are to Americans.

5 hours ago, basslicker said:

'free'?  'affordable'?

No such thing as 'free healthcare'  We pay through the wazoo in taxes, just to wait in line for hours for healthcare.

And hopefully you don't one of these joke Dr.'s who say;  'You can only bring one issue to my attention per visit.'   What a joke.

Dude, when you go into the hospital for surgery you don't pay a cent. For the prescription drugs they give you, the surgery itself, the nursing & special care.... Using whatever machines are needed to monitor you or to push antibiotics thru your systems. Or the recovery. When you leave there isn't a collection agency chasing you to pay up... Your taxes are a fraction of the cost.

And hopefully you don't give me one of these, I ain't never been sick or spent time in the hospital so why should my taxes pay for other people who are?? If you haven't then your time is coming.

Edited by iso_55

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

'Golden Boy' boxer Donny Lalonde, named in Panama Papers, in Costa Rican investment controversy

Former boxing champion’s companies, bank accounts appear in Panama Papers

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/donny-lalonde-golden-boy-panama-papers-1.3584073

Who cares really.  Emma Watson has a company in Panama too.  Unless she might be some international criminal mastermind, I find the whole thing yawn inducing.  Billionaire companies hiding assets from fair taxes?  Sure, go get 'em.  Average people, somewhat wealthy celebrities?  Who cares.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Who cares really.  Emma Watson has a company in Panama too.  Unless she might be some international criminal mastermind, I find the whole thing yawn inducing.  Billionaire companies hiding assets from fair taxes?  Sure, go get 'em.  Average people, somewhat wealthy celebrities?  Who cares.

You might want to read the article before posting, it doesn't have much to do with the Panama Papers at all, that's just the headline they chose to use.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Full time resident of Malta.

Edited by iso_55

Trump Troglodytes don't seem to care that he hides his taxes & conveniently is using a so called IRS tax audit of him as an excuse for not releasing his tax returns. Guarantee that he'll be using this audit excuse right thru the election in November.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

I don't think Lalonde even lives in Canada anymore. I think he's a full time resident of Costa Rica.

He's living in Malta now.  From that article, sounds like he left a trail of pissed off investors in Costa Rica.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is about Lalonde getting people to invest & it didn't work out. It's more than a who cares really? if this was a Canadian court the investors would probably get something or the principles involved would go to jail. But the Costa Rica courts? Sketchy...

If Lalonde has 53 registered companies, good chance he's "fiddling" around.  He probably knows the legal loopholes of the countries he does business in better than any of his investors and will continue to exploit innocent victims without fear of prosecution.  Pity he seems to have a clear conscience about it.

CNN

-- U.S. government officials are operating on an initial theory that EgyptAir Flight 804 was taken down by a bomb, two U.S. officials told CNN on Thursday. Officials said the theory could change, with one senior administration official cautioning it is not yet supported by a "smoking gun."
-- U.S. intelligence officials are in contact with their French and Egyptian counterparts regarding the missing flight, a U.S. intelligence official told CNN's Jim Sciutto. They are sharing flight manifests for checks against U.S. watch lists, the official said.
-- An Egyptian search aircraft has spotted two floating objects 210 nautical miles southeast of Crete, but it's unclear whether the objects are part of the missing aircraft, according to a spokesman for Greece's Hellenic National Defense General Staff.
-- President Barack Obama has been briefed on the situation, said Lisa Monaco, assistant to the president for homeland security and counterterrorism.
-- The airplane "swerved and then plunged" before descending into the Mediterranean, Greek Defense Minister Panos Kammenos told reporters.
-- Greek controllers tried to reach EgyptAir Flight 804 about 10 miles before it left the country's airspace and for about 90 seconds after and received no response, the head of the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority told Greek broadcaster ANT1 TV.

Also, one Canadian on board.

Still a chance for survivors:

A distress signal was detected at 4:26 a.m. -- about two hours after the jet vanished -- in the general vicinity where it disappeared, Adel said.

He said the distress signal could have come from another vessel in the Mediterranean. Egyptian armed forces said they had not received a distress call.

If there are any survivors, there's still a window to save them.

"The water temperatures in the eastern Mediterranean near Egypt are in the low 20s Celsius (mid to low 70s F)," Javaheri said.

"Survival times in such waters range from two to seven hours for the elderly or individuals in poor health, while they range anywhere from two to 40 hours for healthier individuals."

A storm system could affect conditions in the region as early as Friday afternoon, Javaheri said.
Edited by The Unknown Poster

Interesting conflict and info about the flight. 

Greek authorities say plane swerved 90 degrees then 360 degrees and then plummeted 

Egypt authorities say that's not true that it simply disappeared from radar (I think the implication being a sudden explosion rather than the plane wholly falling to the earth)

also several warnings sounded at the time the plane disappeared

From CNN:

There were indications of problems with a heated window in the cockpit, a sliding window in the cockpit, smoke in the lavatory, smoke in the avionics compartment below the cockpit, a fixed window, the autopilot and the flight control system. 
The alerts don't necessarily mean a fire occurred on the Airbus A320 or that the crew even knew about the alerts, which are automatically transmitted, aviation experts cautioned.
clearly the pilot didn't open the window at 37,000 feet. Smoke is interesting thoigh. Could a bomb produce these warnings even moments before the whole system was destroyed? Or does that indicate a stronger likelihood of a fire due to technical malfunction. 

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I saw on facebook that apparently the girl was part of a sex traffic kidnapping for 2 years and was just recently getting back to school and society.