Game 55 : Airport @ Oilers

The story so far...

-In this large-ensemble disaster movie, Kevin Cheveldayoff the general manager of the Winnipeg Jets, must contend with a massive snowstorm and other issues, both work-related and personal, while troubled fans threaten to blow up the team.

-Game time 9PM, CBC

-Pavelec to start

-Connor McJesus will part the Jets defensive waters

-Keep on tankin tshirts ready to be printed

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

this is probably just strategic. Can't carry three goalies. Hutch requires waivers. And if you want to trade Pavs you need to get him some time.  Worst case scenario Helle plays lots rather than sitting. 

if jets were fighting for playoffs then it would be a weird decision. Buts it's really the only option. And the one I'm sure I said was most likely weeks ago. 

Helle is the goaltender of the future. He doesn't require waivers. I agree with TUP... a trade is in the works for one of Pav or Hutch and Helle will be back up shortly. 

Maurice even called it short term. 

Helle will be back soon. Pav or Hutch will be traded. Count on it. 

Reality tho, If PAV didn't get hurt, Helle would have spent the entire year with the Moose, he's on his ELC, he doesn't require waivers, Hutch and Pav do and while it's somewhat unlikely they would get picked up on waivers, they might. 

Trade in the works for sure.

In the mean time, the Tank Commander duo is back...

I guess, if not for Helle, we probably would be last place in the league right now. He came in and did his job almost too well actually, cuz my guess is if PAV and Hutch were starting all year, we'd probably be dead last. 

Edited by Goalie

Was just going to say Maurice comments indicate something brewing. Called Helle assognment "in the near term". Said pavs and hutch will both play the next few games "and then we'll make decisions at that point".   Sounds about the right timeline to make a trade at the deadline either hutch or pavs. 

Mto be honest it doesn't bother me od they keep all three. Although hutch is a free agent so he's most likely to move. If they feel Helle is ready they could try and be rid of pavs contract.  

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Was just going to say Maurice comments indicate something brewing. Called Helle assognment "in the near term". Said pavs and hutch will both play the next few games "and then we'll make decisions at that point".   Sounds about the right timeline to make a trade at the deadline either hutch or pavs. 

Mto be honest it doesn't bother me od they keep all three. Although hutch is a free agent so he's most likely to move. If they feel Helle is ready they could try and be rid of pavs contract.  

Pretty sure Hutch is an RFA.

It's 100% not performance related on why he was sent down. 

Isn't Hutch on a 1 - way deal?    My guess is Pavs is on the trading block and will be gone soon to free up cashola and he probably can bring back at least a prospect or two.   It will be a salary dump deal.  

Helle is the starter for us next season no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It's 100% not performance related on why he was sent down. 

Isn't Hutch on a 1 - way deal?    My guess is Pavs is on the trading block and will be gone soon to free up cashola and he probably can bring back at least a prospect or two.   It will be a salary dump deal.  

Helle is the starter for us next season no doubt about it.

This might actually mean there is a desire to try and trade pavs. Otherwise if you are going Helle and pavs next season, unless you think hutch as an RFA will bring you a high pick in a trade you might as well risk sending him down. If he's claimed so what?  But if you want to trade pavs and hutch is claimed you need another goalie. So this is the only move they could make. 

helly doesn't need to clear waivers in order to go down, hence he got the demotion.. Pavs needs some game time to shake off some rust, Hutch is a very solid backup and could use the starts too depending on how long helly stays down..

but hypothetically speaking, a trade involving one of the other could be in the works. 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

I don't think Pav would agree to be sent down. He refused years ago. Atlanta was forced to make a choice between him and Lehtonen. They chose Pav. 

This could be true. Maurice comments indicated pavs was in on the discussion and they made the decisions that worked for him. Could translate to "he refused"