Winnipeg Fall Radio Ratings

SUN

CBC Radio’s grip on the top spot in Winnipeg’s radio landscape has been solidified.

According to the fall ratings book released Thursday by Numeris, the talk-radio station can claim to be the most popular in town for a second consecutive ratings period, up 3.4 points from the spring — when it dethroned decades-long ratings champ CJOB from the top spot.
Ratings for the spring book measured listeners ages 12 and older from Sept. 7 to Nov. 1.

Corus-owned CJOB, which had a round of layoffs in the last period while also parting ways with longtime mid-morning show host Charles Adler, continued its multi-year slide in the ratings, dropping six-tenths of a point from the spring.

That puts the station closer in the ratings to rock radio station CITI FM and pop station Virgin 103.1 than to CBC.
Things are slightly better on the FM dial for Corus. Its music station, BIG 97.5, was up nine-tenths of a point from the spring, when ratings at the station had bottomed out while rebranding itself from longtime rock station Power 97.
Other notable changes in the radio ratings include country station QX 104 losing almost 25% of its audience from the spring. A similar drop was felt at TSN 1290, whose springtime success was likely connected to the Winnipeg Jets’ playoff run.

RADIO RATINGS

How each local station did in the fall ratings book (how they did in the spring is in brackets):

CBC Radio 990 15.3 (11.9)

680 CJOB 10.9 (11.5)

92 CITI 9.4 (7.9)

103.1 Virgin 9 (9.0)

QX 104 7.4 (9.9)

99.9 BOB 6 (6.8)

KISS 102.3 4.9 (4.6)

Energy 106 4.5 (4.1)

CBC Radio2 4 (2.9)

FAB 94.3 3.9 (3.5)

TSN 1290 3.5 (4.6)

97.5 BIG 3.1 (2.2)

99.1 Fresh 2.5 (1.7)

Jewel 2.2 (2.1)

Rhythm 104.7 0.7 (--)

CKSB 88.1 0.2 (--)
— Source: Numeris

I'd personally be surprised if 'OB hangs on to the Bombers after the current contract expires. It just makes too much sense to jump to TSN. Irving will be ready to retire (if he hasn't before that point) and it'll be a good change all around...

CJOB dying a slow death.

Go TSN!!

TSN had a worse drop that CJOB did. I wonder why?

Their jump was temporary due to the Jets playoff run, other than that blip their share has been rising slowly and steadily.

Something to keep in mind, too, is that these numbers are based on 12+, and that's a pretty all-encompassing demo. Too broad. Certain stations look for a very specific demo to target. For example, TSN is less concerned with their overall 12+ number, and more about their M18-49 number, which I suspect has them higher in the rankings. Same with the rock stations. QX is more concerned with F18+, etc etc etc.....

a number of small american locally owned radio stations in North Dakota are doing what you describe Noeller.

600 am, 790, 1080

all run mostly locally based on air people , and have ditched national programs.

They're good to listen to, not slick/loud/inflammatory .

North Dakota has a Lot of small local commercial radio stations. The manager at 600 is from Manitoba. (country music)

a number of small american locally owned radio stations in North Dakota are doing what you describe Noeller.

600 am, 790, 1080

all run mostly locally based on air people , and have ditched national programs.

North Dakota has a Lot of small local commercial radio stations. The manager at 600 is from Manitoba. (country music)

All the Golden West stations south of the City do that, too, on the FM dial, but the announcers are pretty shitty for the most part, because they just take locals and pay them minimum wage, which does not create very good radio.

agree about the hosts, but Golden west plays some great music,

and is the ONLY commercial radio or tv station in Manitoba that has a regular weekly program featuring Manitoba musicians, playing their album, and interviewing them.

(campus radio does)

Reason why I dislike the CBC... they have zero Manitoba music programs. Not one.

With all the money they get, they can't figure out a way to do a single program featuring Manitoba music.

what horse#4!%

Golden West is strictly designed to make money....it's a sales business that plays some music to have something in between the commercials. I don't have a lot of love for their idea of "radio", but nothing but respect for their ability to make money hand over fist in the current media climate.

600 am, 790, 1080

All the Golden West stations south of the City do that, too, on the FM dial, but the announcers are pretty shitty for the most part, because they just take locals and pay them minimum wage, which does not create very good radio.

I listen to 107.7 country in Steinbach. Its a lot better than 104. Mornings are pretty good with Karen Black hosting and Daryl Braun doing news, weather and sports. After that it does fall off a bit but a lot less commercials than the city stations.

600 am, 790, 1080

I listen to 107.7 country in Steinbach. Its a lot better than 104. Mornings are pretty good with Karen Black hosting and Daryl Braun doing news, weather and sports. After that it does fall off a bit but a lot less commercials than the city stations.

I've heard a lot of good things about what Karen's done, both on air and as the music programmer for all of GW Country stations across Canada, but she'll be the only on air person in that building making anything above minimum wage, I'm betting. It's really a shame. Curious how much is VoiceTracked after 9am, too. Likely the Drive outta Moose Jaw or something, and possibly Middays VTed in house or via Winkler....

I want so desperately for a return of something like 630 CKRC. Something that's community based...has music, has Swap n Shop, is local to a fault.....almost a Winnipeg version of Regina's CKRM. 

Pretty near impossible to hear music on AM anymore.

I wish the CRTC would allow other AM stations to simulcast on FM. CBC can do it....