29 Years Ago Today

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and here we are with +15 temps and sunshine over the last week (and continuing this week -- at least here in AB) .....THANKS GLOBAL WARMING!

Yup, 18 degrees here yesterday,

I was 10 during the Blizzard of 86.  The only bad part was, it started on a Friday late afternoon/evening.  If it had started Sunday, we might have missed most of the week of school.  They cancelled Monday and Tuesday was Remembrance Day.  By Wed, we were back to school.

I was 6 at the time...I don't remember a lot about that 86 blizzard. Growing up in Pinawa,  the high school is in the middle of town, and there was an elementary school at either end of it. At the time, nobody from out of town was allowed to attend, so there were no buses and there was really no reason to miss classes no matter what. It took a little longer, but we all got there...walking or whatever...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 10:08 AM, Noeller said:

I was 6 at the time...I don't remember a lot about that 86 blizzard. Growing up in Pinawa,  the high school is in the middle of town, and there was an elementary school at either end of it. At the time, nobody from out of town was allowed to attend, so there were no buses and there was really no reason to miss classes no matter what. It took a little longer, but we all got there...walking or whatever...

up hill, the biggest storm in decades, into the wind of course. Snow soo deep we had to get out and pull the horse to get the buggy through. 

Global warming might have to be my next jersey if it means we keep temps like this deep into the end of the year. 

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

35c May 5th. Warmest day of the year I think.

Im sort of a video hound so I record a lot of video (same with friends) and every year make a "2015 DVD" etc   its always fun to see when there is an inexplicably hot day or sudden snowfall and most of us watching have no recollection of it.

In remembering blizzards, my dad was here for '66.  I remember '86 and '97.  Its interesting because '86 shut down the city for days.  But '97 didnt.  I guess the increased snow removal technology helped. 

If we got a blizzard this year, we'd end up doing a full scraping two days beforehand and then not clear the snow until Jan 1st and the new budget kicks in. 

On 11/7/2016 at 10:08 AM, Noeller said:

I was 13 and I don't remember it.

22 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I was 13 and I don't remember it.

Really? It was pretty damn big.  Began snowing on a Friday.  Remembrance Day was on the following Tuesday.  School was closed on the Monday due to snow, closed on Tuesday due to the holiday and back to school on Wednesday.

The video I dug out and posted a couple years ago:

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

I was probably inside playing video games and not giving a crap.  To me, snow was snow.

If you were a kid in the aftermath of the Blizzard of '86 and you werent outside, you missed out.  It was a child's dream come true.  Cancelled school and massive snow drifts/banks/hills to play on.

57 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If you were a kid in the aftermath of the Blizzard of '86 and you werent outside, you missed out.  It was a child's dream come true.  Cancelled school and massive snow drifts/banks/hills to play on.

That's what I remember most about 86....it was so much fun outside!!!

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's what I remember most about 86....it was so much fun outside!!!

Unless you actually could not get outside your home due to the doors and windows being covered in snow.  Which did happen to some people.

At our home, we could get out the door.  The way the home was sheltered (or unsheltered as the case was, with wind blowing the snow off our front porch), we had no snow over the door.  But it was completely over the single story garage.  We could walk onto the roof and slide down.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Unless you actually could not get outside your home due to the doors and windows being covered in snow.  Which did happen to some people.

At our home, we could get out the door.  The way the home was sheltered (or unsheltered as the case was, with wind blowing the snow off our front porch), we had no snow over the door.  But it was completely over the single story garage.  We could walk onto the roof and slide down.

My most vivid memory is digging a tunnel out from the back door so we could get to our shed at the back of the property. It was NUTS the 6' high drifts...