Game 9 : Kings @ Jets

Jets deserved a better fate.

Saw a comment online that I thought made sense.  Said the Jets are god enough to make it a very long night for the best teams in the NHL but playing in the central might mean they are in tough to make the playoffs. 

Jets *are* good enough to beat any team in the league.  But great teams find a way to win those games, not put up a great fight and lose.

Watching much of the game I was really impressed.  The Jets, for long stretches, looked like world-beaters.  They play a tremendous style too.  The fact Maurice made a point of saying he's allowed a "less safe" style this year to ramp up offense, you really see the same hard hitting team as last year but with more offensive flair.  Realistically, that was a 2-1 game so its not like they gave up on D either.

Blake Wheeler's engine never stops.  He's turning into a prototypical NHL player.  Big, fast, hits, scores, responsible, hustle, gets edgy.  A really really good player in his prime.

Ehlers continues to impress.  He does cherry-pick a bit.  He's not a "get in the corners" type of player.  I noticed him skating around the Jets blue line when his line mates went into the corners, waiting for an outlet pass.  But if they didnt come up with the puck, he'd slide down towards the slot more.  His D game seems more about speed and puck possession.  He races back to the D zone when needed and uses his talent to move the puck, not much it up in the corners so much.  He could break out one of these days and rattle off a few multi-point/multi-goal games.  Edging up the rookie scoring list too.

Stafford looks like he's rejuvenated.  Even the 4th line had chances.

Jets need to beat Chicago though.  Central so tough they are already slipping (Jets I mean)

Ah, those late goals don't bother me a bit. You take you chances and sometimes...

Unfortunately, these late goals count against the +- stats, and that ain't right. It taints the 'tistics

Ehlers gets the only point for the Jets...but he deserves it, he's the only one with 5 shots on net.

Only 2 penalties in the game, 1 each.

Pavelec looked good again. Tight game in the 1st and 2nd, but I thought the Jets outplayed the Kings, but the 3rd belonged to the Kings and that's where they won, on a tip off Myers stick. ****.

The Jets outhit the Kings, won more face offs, but the telling stat is they had more giveaways...23-14

More takeaways too, especially in the 1st, but Quick was up to the task. He kept LA in the game.

Really good game. Empty net goals are irrelevant. 4th line was ok but don't understand dressing both Thor and Peluso.

Really good game tho. Jets owned the first 2 periods and went to sleep in the third. Play all 60 minutes and we will win way more than we lose.

Wheeler and Myers could have played it better for the 2nd goal against but it is what it is.....a loss with no points.

I think they deserved better but these things usually even out over the course of a year.

Trouba saw less than 17 minutes and Myers saw way over 20....Myers didn't play a stellar game to say the least.

I think if we trade a RHD, it should be Myers.......if we've got Buff signed.

He'd get us a lot back, maybe more than Buff...Trouba would get more time because he needs more than 17 minutes a game.

If we can get a really good LHD or LHD prospect plus picks, we would be further ahead.

Jake Gardiner and a 1st?

Lol Jake Gardiner and a 1st. Your fantasy trades are so unrealistic. Jets won't trade a young D man who they just traded for. And Toronto won't give up a first cuz.... rebuild. Buffs the odd man out and it's obvious. BTW in case you haven't noticed... Jets are a young team building with their youth.... they aren't gonna trade a young D man. And Gardiner is the guy you want now? Why. Cuz he's played 5 good games? So next game I guess if buff struggles we should trade him? I get it now... if a guy has a bad game... he should be traded.... myers playing with Mr no confidence should be in the ahl Chiarot doesn't help. Maybe should trade trouba too then cuz he's sucked too. Trade them all... agandon the youth movement cuz OMG we lost a game and a guy had a bad moment. Myers was pretty good vs the kings actually... one mistake or bad pinch doesn't mean he was bad

Myers had a bad game against LA.  But if you're looking at stats his -4 included two empty netters.  The totality of a players skill level is not determined by his one worst game or one best game.  And Myers is a good player who plays lots of minutes.  And when you factor in his age, size and contract, I guarantee that if he was a Free Agent tomorrow, 29 teams would put in an offer.

Myers had a bad game against LA.  But if you're looking at stats his -4 included two empty netters.  The totality of a players skill level is not determined by his one worst game or one best game.  And Myers is a good player who plays lots of minutes.  And when you factor in his age, size and contract, I guarantee that if he was a Free Agent tomorrow, 29 teams would put in an offer.

One of the reasons we should trade him if Buff is signed and we end up trading one.

He didn't play well against LA but he didn't play well with Enstrom either.

He's a good D man just the one I would trade is all.

I've always liked Gardiner and have no idea how he has played this year but he would fit in nicely in the 2LHD spot.

Babcock loves Toby so maybe we could send Toby and Myers there for Gardiner, Reilly and some picks or prospects?

Id rather have Reilly and Gardiner and picks/prospects than Myers/Enstrom.

Myers=5.5m for this year and next 3....then UFA.

Enstrom=5.75m for this year and the next to and then an UFA.

Reilly=ELC this year and an RFA next year.

Gardiner=4.5m for this year and next 3 then an UFA.

Whose contract is cap friendly???????????

Myers contract was front loaded so his actual salary is less than his cap hit.  Buffalo already paid off the expensive years.  That is very important for a non cap team like the Jets because they don't spend to the cap.  So it gives them more wiggle room with their internal cap because their internal cap is based on actual dollars paid out, not AAV.

Myers is.  Do some research.

Actual salary (not cap hit) goes like this:

Myers 

2015 - $5M

2016 - $4M

2017 - $3.5M

2018 - $3M

Gardiner:

2015 - $4M

2016 - $4M

2017 - $4M

2018 - $3.7M

Given the skillset and potential of each who would you actually prefer to have....

Toby's cap hit and salary are the same.  $5.75M each year remaining on his contract (until 2018 / 2019)