Around the NHL

Just now, JCon said:

I find it interesting that he does not favour bridge deals, considering how much he's been praised in the past for the bridge deals he signs.

In this case though, the bridge deal favours Trouba, where as a long-term, realistic deal would probably favour the Jets.

I assume the Jets will match any offer sheet but it will make him hard to trade if a big one comes in. Match is one thing, match and retain is another.

Yeah I think the intent of saying that about offer sheets was to prevent a fruitless offer that doesnt do anything but drive up salaries.  So basically a team would have to over-pay to an extent that even the Jets, with more cap room than anyone, would balk at it.  And that would likely hurt the offering team more, to be hamstrung by the contract and lose significant draft picks.  So I dont see an offer sheet coming.  Because its either reasonable enough that the Jets match or unreasonable enough that no team will be able to offer it.

If anything, a team might offer a bridge deal, if Trouba's agent hustles for one, just to get the Jets to match it.  But again, every team knows the Jets will match so no reason to be used as a pawn for Trouba.

I could see Colorado making a run at him via offer sheet. Pushes up the Jets salaries and they may pry him out. I guess it depends what kind of relationship the GM has with Chevy. You don't make friends with offer sheets!

If not Colorado, I could see another club taking a gamble on him. Maybe even to push through a trade.

A team can offer sheet trouba but it doesn't mean trouba will sign that offer sheet. 

Besides who is to say Trouba isn't signed by July 1st. Sounds like he wants to be here.  So he'd have to sign an offer sheet if he got one which he won't because offer sheets don't happen very often especially not to teams who have lots of cap space to match. 

Mackinnon is an rfa also. Colorado offer sheets trouba. Jets offer sheet Mackinnon.  Nobody will offer sheet trouba tho cuz everyone knows the jets have the cap space to match. Also... the team offering the offer sheet would have to overpay so much it's just not worth it for them. 

Sami Vatanen signs 4 years 19 million to stay in Anaheim.  Surprised here for sure. Strong rumors that he was available but guess not.  

Looking more and more likely that Myers to Edmonton could be realistic and the only option oilers have left to improve the right handed D side 

Edited by Goalie

I think Trouba pushes for a 6 year or less.

57 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Trouba is not getting $5 mill a season...

Vatanen just signed for 4.75m per so I would guess that Trouba will be north of 5m per.

I would give Trouba 48m over 8 years and Scheif 55m over 8 years.

Offers to our RFAs if I were GM...

Lowry gets 2m and 2.25m over two years...Hutch (we need a goalie for the expansion draft) would get 1m per for two years. Armia would be offered 1.5m per for two years. Lipon would be offered 850k per for two years.

Tanev? I dunno.....what do you offer a guy at that age that has only played a couple of games. I think he will be a really good PKer and 4th liner for the team but not for the 2016-2017 season. Does he have to clear waivers to be sent down?

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

I think Trouba pushes for a 6 year or less.

Vatanen just signed for 4.75m per so I would guess that Trouba will be north of 5m per.

Pretend you are Trouba's agent and tell me why he is worth more than Vatanen.