The Jets' RFA's after this year.

Ducky

On 3/4/2016 at 3:28 PM, Rich said:

I don't think so.  They have said the naming of the Captain is going to involve input from the players themselves, Maurice, Chevy, and ownership (Chipman).

The reason given is that a Captain in a Canadian city is more then just the duties a captain has to perform in the dressing room and with the players, there is a larger responsibility as he is the face of the franchise to the media and fans.

So for those reasons, they've decided to wait and go through the process to get it right in the off season.

Yeah, fair enough. I heard them mention all those things.

Those at the game yesterday probably noticed Wheeler taking the ceremonial faceoff with the troops, for whatever that's worth. 

I was 100% predicting Wheeler, but I think Scheif has a shot at it.  If he signs a 7-8 year deal, that satisfies the idea of being a long time Captain.  He seems to be embracing the #1 center role quite well.  If he keeps it up and continues to be a go-to guy for the media, he might make a strong case as Captain.  Ofcourse we dont know how he is in the room but he made remarks about learning from Ladd certain ways to relate to team mates (ie. when to be nice, when to give it to a guy etc), so evidently, the things that a Captain does have not been lost on him.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yeah, fair enough. I heard them mention all those things.

Those at the game yesterday probably noticed Wheeler taking the ceremonial faceoff with the troops, for whatever that's worth. 

If not Wheeler, who should have taken the faceoff?

Scheif wore the A in juniors.

Story on Phillips in the paper today. It was actually a general article about how good the Jets have been drafting goalies.

One name brought up was was Jason Kasdorf who some on here felt like he was going nowhere post Buffalo trade.

Well Kasdorf and Phillips are both up for the Mike Richter Award for best collegiate goalie.

From Ed Tait...

While we’re at it: the list of the 26 nominees for the new Mike Richter Award — given annually to the top goalie in the NCAA and first won by Connor Hellebuyck two years ago — includes two Jets draft picks — Jason Kasdorf of Rensselaer, who was part of last year’s blockbuster trade and is now Buffalo Sabres property, and Michigan Tech’s Jamie Phillips. A seventh-round pick in 2012, Phillips is 21-7-5 this year with a 2.00 goals-against average and .921 save percentage. Hellebuyck, you may recall, was a fifth-round pick in that same draft. Whoever is scouting puck-stoppers for the Jets might be banging on Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff’s office bucking for a few more dollars.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

This is one of the problems with the NCAA rule.  We have like 30 days to sign him after he graduates but the NCAA doesn't let their players sign or even get subsidized for going to an NHL camp.

It is no wonder NHL teams push to sign the players before they are done in the NCAA.  

If they stay until they graduate, why not wait an extra month to sign with wherever you want.  It would be ideal for both the NHL and NCAA if they could sign with a club but continue to develop in the NCAA.

I think the Jets need to think about trading Phillips.  He is going to be eyeing that goalie depth and see that he is behind Hellebuyck and Comrie and wonder if he would get a better chance with another team. 

Yup. I think you could see Phillips traded at the draft as part of a package deal involving someone else. Perhaps a guy like Myers, just throwing it out there, not sure if he's the guy they will move, maybe Enstrom,again... not saying these 2 are going to be moved but I could see a trade for example...

Myers,Phillips to Insert team here for... 

That's probably where he would start if they did sign him, the ECHL. But  really ,Phillips is ok, i don't think he has a chance to make the NHL as a regular, just like Kasdorf, good goalies but their ceiling is probably the AHL... 

The Mike Richter award won't be going to either of them.. it will go to Thatcher Demko, Canucks prospct. That guy is legit, almost as impressive as Helle was in college, on a far better team than Helle played for also but... Phillips, Kasdorf, They are good but not great. Just average numbers really in the NCAA. 

Helle, Demko are 2 guys who put up incredible numbers in the NCAA. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

That's probably where he would start if they did sign him, the ECHL. But  really ,Phillips is ok, i don't think he has a chance to make the NHL as a regular, just like Kasdorf, good goalies but their ceiling is probably the AHL... 

The Mike Richter award won't be going to either of them.. it will go to Thatcher Demko, Canucks prospct. That guy is legit, almost as impressive as Helle was in college, on a far better team than Helle played for also but... Phillips, Kasdorf, They are good but not great. Just average numbers really in the NCAA. 

Helle, Demko are 2 guys who put up incredible numbers in the NCAA. 

I'm not disputing Demko is a higher rated prospect than Phillips, 2 years younger and will in all likelihood with the Richter award, but the 2 have pretty similar numbers over the last 2 seasons, with Phillips playing almost every single minute for the Michigan Tech squad.  

Phillips

2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Michigan Techstats_arrow.gif NCAA 41 1.74 .933        

2015-16 stats_arrow.gif Michigan Techstats_arrow.gif NCAA 33 2.00 .921 

Demko 

2014-15 stats_arrow.gif Boston Collegestats_arrow.gif NCAA 35 2.19 .925 

2015-16 stats_arrow.gif Boston Collegestats_arrow.gif NCAA 32 1.77 .937

PLAN 1

Scheif on a two year bridge for 3m a year.

then 8 x 8m after his bridge.

10 years for 70m or 7m per year.

He is 33 after this ends.

PLAN 2

Scheif on a 8 x 6.5m per year = 52m

6.58m per year and then has to be re-signed at 31 years of age.

Edited by Ducky

Scheif won't be getting a bridge, he will sign long term, Trouba might get a bridge but i actually see the Jets signing both long term. I'm not gonna  bother guessing the amount cuz i'm not the GM so it's not really my problem but... 7 or 8 years for Both probably works. 

I think Trouba will push for a 5 or 6 year deal.

I think Scheif would love to sign an 8 year deal.

If the cap stays where it is, they have about 20m to sign Trouba, Scheif, Hutch, Lowry, and Armia (Lipon if he makes the team). They have a LOT of room.

The following year, Staf, Perreault, Thorburn, Pavelec, Peluso, and Postma are all UFAs. That is almost 14m in caphit. I'd be thrilled to re-sign Perreault and trade the rest or let them go as free agents.

RFAs the same year are Burmi, Dano, Copp, Chiarot, and Helle. We can easily re-sign Perreault and these players (minus Burmi I hope) for 14m.

It is the following year (2018-2019) where Chevy has 9 RFAs and 3 (Little, Stuart, Enstrom for 13m) UFAs. That should be an interesting off-season.

I think where we pick in the draft has a huge effect on our lineup especially regarding the forwards.

Matthews, Puljujarvi, and Laine would probably start next season as a forward for the Jets next year. Laine and Matthews for sure. .. .

If they do, Lipon AND Lemieux will never both start and I think Lemieux stands a really good chance of making the team next year.

If we pick Chychrun, lots of people say he is NHL ready....that's a pretty hard thing to do in that position. Chychrun and Morrissey making the team next year would be huge.........even if they are both playing there by Christmas or the ASB. The following six look nice as a starting D corps.

Enstrom Buff

Chychrun Hamonic

Morrissey Trouba

Edited by Ducky

22 hours ago, Ducky said:

I think where we pick in the draft has a huge effect on our lineup especially regarding the forwards.

Matthews, Puljujarvi, and Laine would probably start next season as a forward for the Jets next year. Laine and Matthews for sure. .. .

If they do, Lipon AND Lemieux will never both start and I think Lemieux stands a really good chance of making the team next year.

If we pick Chychrun, lots of people say he is NHL ready....that's a pretty hard thing to do in that position. Chychrun and Morrissey making the team next year would be huge.........even if they are both playing there by Christmas or the ASB. The following six look nice as a starting D corps.

Enstrom Buff

Chychrun Hamonic

Morrissey Trouba

Where's Myers?