The Jets' RFA's after this year.

Ducky

I think both Trouba and Scheif sign long term, I'd prefer one be 6 or 7 and the other be 7 or 8 year deals... For Scheif, something around 4.5- 5.5 seems fair. 

For Trouba, It's tricky, i think 5 - 5.5 is fair for him also, Keep in mind, you are buying some ufa years here so... who knows how much that is worth.

Lowry would be a bridge deal, 2 years max... not sure how much, not much more than he is making now probably, let's say 1.5 per year.

Armia? same thing, 1.5 a year on a 2 year deal 

Hutch? Depends what they do with PAV, i think Hutch is the better goalie, i think he is more consistent than pav, Pav has a losing record in his career

I don't know how much of a market there will be for goalies so, Let's just assume pav is traded or bought out, both options for sure... Hutch would be a good back up to Helle for a year or probably 2 until Comrie is ready. 

Edited by Goalie

I don't know, I think buying out PAV is a legit option, I'm not sure if they do it but... i think they will consider it. It's so hard to say, cuz PAV shouldn't be around anymore, this team goes nowhere until PAV is off the team, that's my opinion of it at least. He's the biggest problem right now with the team, we out shoot teams somewhat consistently when pav plays, yet we end up losing, It's gotta be pretty disheartening. I almost want to say with them playing PAV so much recently that it's almost like a test run for him for next year, for them to decide whether they should buy him out or keep him and right now, if that is the case, no doubt, a buyout is coming. 

One thing that could factor in is how Pavs is in the room.  i've always heard he has an easy going manner but the fact he refused a conditioning sting with the Moose when he came off of injury annoys me.  If they have decided to move on from him (which I assume is the case), they should get rid of him one way or another.  Perhaps they can trade him and retain some salary.  Even Calgary which picked up a goalie might want a bit more insurance by way of a veteran. If Jets retain some salary, its a cheap, low risk option and he's UFA...

He's easy going but he takes no responsibility ever. If i was a team mate of his, i would get sick of it. He never takes the blame for himself. It would annoy me after a while. He's been here 6 years now and has consistently been the worst starting goaltender in the league, i see no upside to keeping him at all, I'm honestly not even sure another team picks him up if the Jets buy him out. 

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I don't know, I think buying out PAV is a legit option, I'm not sure if they do it but... i think they will consider it. It's so hard to say, cuz PAV shouldn't be around anymore, this team goes nowhere until PAV is off the team, that's my opinion of it at least. He's the biggest problem right now with the team, we out shoot teams somewhat consistently when pav plays, yet we end up losing, It's gotta be pretty disheartening. I almost want to say with them playing PAV so much recently that it's almost like a test run for him for next year, for them to decide whether they should buy him out or keep him and right now, if that is the case, no doubt, a buyout is coming. 

What is the benefit of buying him out?  If you don't want him on the Jets send him to the Moose where he might be picked up on waivers. 

If not, he can backup Comry. 

Either way you are paying him his salary and taking the cap hit. 

Both options are unlikely to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

What is the benefit of buying him out?  If you don't want him on the Jets send him to the Moose where he might be picked up on waivers. 

If not, he can backup Comry. 

Either way you are paying him his salary and taking the cap hit. 

Both options are unlikely to happen. 

My concern with waiving him to the Moose is how he reacts.  He wouldnt even go there on a conditioning stint.  So he wont be happy playing for the Moose all season.  If he puts on a happy face and plays as hard as he can, great.  But if he sulks and becomes a negative influence in the dressing room, then its not a good idea.  And that leaves little options.  Trade.  Buy Out.

The benefit of buying him out is simple... he's not on the team anymore and we can move on finally from the worst starting goaltending in the league the last 6 seasons. 

Jets won't be a cap team so buying him out doesn't mean much to them. 

I'd agree with TUP, he didn't even want to go to the Moose on a conditioning stint. There's no way he's happy playing in the AHL. Not a chance. 

They'll probably want to sign Phillips and play him as backup on the Moose next season and that leaves us with 5 goalies with 4 spots.

The Jets won't buy out PAvs. It will cost them 1.5m for the next 3 years which is a savings of 250k of salary.

Caphitwise it would free up 3.25m for the 2016-2017 season.

For the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 seasons it will take 1.5m out of the caphit....

We won't be up against the caphit next year and might need it in the 3rd but I rally can't see the Jets doing this. As Rich mentioned, why not put him on waivers and send him down as a last resort? He can't do anything about being put on waivers and demoted to the Moose, this isn't a conditioning stint.

I think we see Pavs moved this off-season.

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler Connor Little Armia Perreault should all play well for us next year and  Lowry Staf Copp Lemieux Dano Thorbs and peluso to pick from on the bottom 6 isn't bad.

I think we need help on the lower pairings D (Postma?) and we are fine with the 1st two if Trouba plays with Buff.

There'll be changes and additions to this lineup but it isn't too many pieces away from playoff material.

Helle will be the starter next year and I think Maurice gives him a minnimum of 55 games.

Edited by Ducky

To look strictly at stats and say "Oh, goalies suck!" is hilarious and the epitome of some posters on this Jets forum. The entire team isn't playing D well enough, and taking too many penalties, too. It's all a part of it. Pavelec was pretty good last year and Hutch was really good last year. They didn't just suddenly forget how. The whole team needs to be better next year, and everyone knows it.

The Jets are probably going to have another flat season next year so why not keep Pavelec as the team as it weeds out the players they don't want in favour of rookies and then try to get rid of Pavelec at the deadline. Another possibility is to waive him and if no takers send him to the Moose, he will not be bought out TSNE will not do that.

Pavelec was not very good last year. He had a 1 week or so stretch where he played better than normal which inflated his numbers significantly but then the Ducks series came and yeah it was just 4 games but he had the worst GAA and save percentage of every goalie who started in the playoffs. PAVelec sucks. 

This team goes nowhere until Pavelec is off of it. That's the bottom line. 6 years already with him. Enough is enough. 

Edited by Goalie

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/young-guns-ready-to-step-up-370883701.html

Interesting articles with good quotes from Scheif and Troubs...

"I think with any player as they get older, they take on more responsibility," Trouba said this week. "That’s just how the league goes with every team, and how it kind of shifts. With guys going out, other guys step up.

"Mark and I want to, to take another step here and start building towards what we want to accomplish as a team."

Scheifele said days where the old-school mantra that rookies should be seen and not heard no longer applies to him or Trouba.

"I think we’ve had a little bit of a ‘say’ at least all year," Scheifele said. "Me and Jacob, we expect a lot out of ourselves and we expect to be leaders on this team. We try to do our part, if it’s leading on the ice or saying something, your opinion, in the room when we’re talking. I think we look at ourselves as leaders on this team already.

"So obviously with Laddy (former captain Andrew Ladd, traded last week to Chicago) being gone, we’ll try to take a bigger pride in it, knowing that a big part of our team, a big leader, isn’t there now.

"We have to do things by committee — each guy has to do a little more — and for me and Jacob, we have to try to be a big part of that."

Trouba, the team’s 2012 first-round draft choice, said there’s no set formula for when younger players like himself determine it’s time to do or say things in this vein.

"I guess you don’t in a way," he said. "It’s a learning process. It’s new, obviously, especially for us younger guys. We lean on older guys and learn from them.

"Just learning from Laddy when he was here, well, he was a great captain and he’s been through a lot and been to some Stanley Cups and he’s a guy that knows what it takes. Having him around was very important for this team going forward."

Scheifele, too, said Ladd was an influential figure for younger players like he and Trouba and their exposure to him in the last three seasons has had great value.

"I think I’ve learned a lot from Laddy in that sense," Scheifele, the Jets’ No. 1 selection of the 2011 draft, said. "You see how he talks. You see how he acts and how professional he is. I definitely have learned a lot in that sense, when to speak up and when to not. And when to lend a helping hand and when to be a little hard on a guy. It’s something that’s just part of the learning curve."

It sounds to me like these guys have every intention of being around here a long ti me and that is music to my ears. Maurice said they don't want the captaincy to bounce around every 4 or so years and Wheeler's contract is over in three years. It wouldn't surprise me if the C goes to Scheif but it would surprise me if he doesn't get a letter at all. I think the A is taken from Stu this off-season one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I almost wonder if Wheeler doesn't really want the captaincy?  They can talk process, and picking the right guy, yadda yadda yadda. But if he wanted the C, he'd have it already - no?!

I don't think so.  They have said the naming of the Captain is going to involve input from the players themselves, Maurice, Chevy, and ownership (Chipman).

The reason given is that a Captain in a Canadian city is more then just the duties a captain has to perform in the dressing room and with the players, there is a larger responsibility as he is the face of the franchise to the media and fans.

So for those reasons, they've decided to wait and go through the process to get it right in the off season.