[MERGED] Chris Walby Interview and Injuries

B-F-F-C

Funny excerpt from the interview.

” At a home game I got the tip of my finger cut off. I’m looking down at my hand thinking, “Son of a gun, blood blister,” and I see a piece of white bone sticking out here (Walby motions to the third knuckle of his left index finger). And every time my heart pumps, the blood’s shooting out. I head to the sideline and you gotta love (former Bomber head coach) Cal (Murphy), he didn’t like anyone leaving games. He looks at me and says, “Oh, I guess you can’t play now.” And I go, “Well, uh, I don’t think so. I got a bone sticking out of my hand.” Cal goes, “Well, take your shoulder pads off and go wait outside,” and I think, “Oh, good, there’s probably an ambulance coming.” No word of a lie, they called a cab. A damn taxi. The driver comes out and says, “You’re not going in my cab like that. You’re bleeding all over the place.” So the cab driver runs into the stadium and the next thing I know I’m sitting on a stack of newspapers on my way to the hospital. A surgeon comes to see me says, “We’re going to chop it off at the knuckle and you’ll be back in a week.” And for once in my life I stood up for myself. I said, “No. You’re not cutting that knuckle off.” I had just a little bit of cuticle left. They ended up calling a surgeon out of a theatre to fix my finger. And that took me two weeks. That’s how long I got off for that one: two weeks. They put a cast on my hand and I played.

Chris Walby:

"I was talking with someone the other day who said that there are way more injuries in training camp now. Keep in mind that back then we did two-a-days for four weeks and always in full gear. Now you’re only allowed one contact day per week and everything else is shorts and helmets. And yet there’s way more guys getting banged up now than ever before when we played. What does that tell you? I don’t know — maybe our bodies are better not coming into the season so fine-tuned that you pull a hamstring on day one. We’re not machines. Our bodies need recovery time. I’m not saying you should show up to camp with a keg of beer on your back going, “Oh hey, here we go!” even though a lot of guys did in my day. But your body needs time to heal."

http://3downnation.com/2015/07/13/sitting-down-with-chris-walby/ 

I have so often wondered why we lose so many great rookie prospects early in training camp, and not so much the veterans. Can you over-train before camp?

What causes the huge number of preseason injuries, really? Just calling that normal is to deny the facts. What can be done to change it?

Chris Walby:

"I was talking with someone the other day who said that there are way more injuries in training camp now. Keep in mind that back then we did two-a-days for four weeks and always in full gear. Now you’re only allowed one contact day per week and everything else is shorts and helmets. And yet there’s way more guys getting banged up now than ever before when we played. What does that tell you? I don’t know — maybe our bodies are better not coming into the season so fine-tuned that you pull a hamstring on day one. We’re not machines. Our bodies need recovery time. I’m not saying you should show up to camp with a keg of beer on your back going, “Oh hey, here we go!” even though a lot of guys did in my day. But your body needs time to heal."

I have so often wondered why we lose so many great rookie prospects early in training camp, and not so much the veterans. Can you over-train before camp?

What causes the huge number of preseason injuries, really? Just calling that normal is to deny the facts. What can be done to change it?

Merged with the existing discussion on this interview.

Edited by voodoochylde
Modified title at the request of one of the Original Posters

Chris Walby:

Let's not forget that when Walby played, his size and weight were the huge exception, and not the rule. In his 1984 season, the average height and weight of the o-line (not including him) was 6'3", 244 lbs and he was 6'7", 331 lbs. He was 76 lbs heavier than the next biggest guy. When he retired in 1996 the avg. without him was 6'4", 279 lbs and only 1 other o-lineman was over 300 lbs. Dave Vankoughnett played at 240 lbs.

Today, our starters average 6'4", 307 lbs, and everyone (starters and back-ups) is 300+ lbs and with the exception of Picard is 6'4" or taller. Add to that more advanced, harder padding and improved fitness, and everyone moves much faster and hits a ton harder as a result.

Just that much more mass coming at you.

I was laughing at the comments about what a giant jerk to the players Cal Murphy was, and how cheap he was too.  Sends Walby to the hospital in a taxi.  Classic Cal.  Watching the 1990 Grey Cup game again, I was surprised how many players got injured during the game, some pretty badly, and then a few plays later there they were again, all taped up and making tackles and putting their bodies on the line. You just don't see that anymore, and for good reason. Amazing.

Als Head Coach Jim Eddy was a jerk yelling at Chris's dad like that. And then there was Joe Scanella forging Walby's name

to keep him on the PR & paying him only half of what he should've been paid. You could call Scanella a cheap bastard. I'd call him a crook.

Als Head Coach Jim Eddy was a jerk yelling at Chris's dad like that. And then there was Joe Scanella forging Walby's nameto keep him on the PR & paying him only half of what he should've been paid. You could call Scanella a cheap bastard. I'd call him a crook.

S'cuse me, newbies aren't supposed to put forth opinion pieces.