Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Watched some of Smackdown for the first time in in probably over a decade. I love the Wyatt family music and entrance. The match was meh, but I like the idea of them. An angle with Kane & Undertaker should make for great promos and ring entrances, if nothing else.

Also, what's the deal with the two black guys dressed like unicorns?

Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods are the New Day.  And they are "whacky".  They were a babyface team with a terrible gimmick that got over once they turned heel. 

The unicorns thing is because Unicorns are rare and magical like they are.  But the real story is, someone in that group is a fan of Chikara wrestling because apparently its a direct rip off of someone there.

WWE announced their quarterly numbers today.

From Wrestling Observer:

With the increase in television rights fees and network subscriptions as the key components of their current business, WWE generated $166.2 million in revenue and $10.4 million in profits for the quarter ending 9/30.

The numbers compare favorably to the $120.2 million in revenue and $5.9 million in losses for the same quarter last year, but last year was supposed to be a losing year due to the start up of the network.  This year was when profits were supposed to turn around big.  While they are nowhere near what was being projected and network numbers are well below original projections, the business is solid and contractual increases in television rights fees should lead to no more losing quarters and eventually the strongest profit margins in company history.

The growth in television was from $42.2 million in revenue for the quarter to $65.2 million. Some of that is misleading as increased rights fees that are contractual are a solid increasing number, but part of the increase was having a full season of Total Divas and Tough Enough during the quarter.  There were only four episodes of Total Divas during the third quarter last year and Tough Enough didn't exist. Plus, Tough Enough ratings weren't good and thus far, there has been no talk of a new season.

The other important driver of future growth is the Network segment, which on September 30th had 1.233 million paid subscribers and 73,000 free subscribers. That's up from the 1.15 million at the end of June, but down from the 1.33 million at the end of March.  It's pretty clear the network business looks to be big increases in the first quarter of the year due to the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, and trying to hold those increases for the rest of the year.

The U.S. Network number was up from 703,000 at the same point last year to 990,000, while international went from 28,000 at the end of the third quarter last year when it was in limited markets, to 243,000 this year.

Here's a bit of a shocker. Del Rio's deal to return was $1.45m per year downside guarantee. Plus reduced schedule.

So even though his paring with zeb is goofy he will be pushed hard at that price. Given his MMA credentials I wonder if they are thinking Brock vs Del Rio at WM...

Lol mma credentials... Working fixed fights and being ktfo isnt really much credentials.

I was more referring to

He earned a place on the Mexico national team in Greco-Roman wrestling and while competing on the national team obtained several accomplishments.[21] In 1997, he placed third at the World Junior Championships, in the Czech Republic.[21] He also won the Central American and Caribbean Games in his weight division three times and won a medal at the Pan American Games. Rodríguez was on track to compete at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, but due to a lack of funding and support, Mexico did not send a wrestling team that year.[5]

He also has a record of 9-5 in MMA. So while not amazing he is still an accomplished amateur wrestler and professional mixed martial artist. He had several offers to do MMA in the past year.

Watched some of Smackdown for the first time in in probably over a decade. I love the Wyatt family music and entrance. The match was meh, but I like the idea of them. An angle with Kane & Undertaker should make for great promos and ring entrances, if nothing else.

Also, what's the deal with the two black guys dressed like unicorns?

Yes, the Wyatts have a cool entrance but after there's not much. Luke Harper is the best wrestler of the 4 but really Bray Wyatt isn't that great as a singles wrestler in the ring. Having 3 monsters backing him up makes him look weak. 

Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock headlined an event in MMA this past year....

Are you familiar with Del Rio's shoot fighting experience and are just dismissive of it. Or are you not aware he was a solid amateur and a somewhat average MMA fighter?

He's no world beater that's for sure but he is legitimately skilled which was my point.

Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock headlined an event in MMA this past year....

Are you familiar with Del Rio's shoot fighting experience and are just dismissive of it. Or are you not aware he was a solid amateur and a somewhat average MMA fighter?

He's no world beater that's for sure but he is legitimately skilled which was my point.

The record of opponents that he beat was 17 - 38  (aside from Brad Kohler hurting himself) ,    just because you enter the ring/cage doesn't necessarily mean you are good.  

Massive difference between Brock Lesnar beating real fighters and legends compared to Dos Caros beating tomato cans.  

That's like saying the Giant Silva was a legit fighter since he was in Pride.... despite him being humiliated and beating a couple of joke fighters.  

I'm not denying the guy has some light background,  but it's far inferior to guys like Kurt Angle,  Dan Severyn,  Shelton Benjamin or other legit wrestlers.  

Yes and I never said he was Brock Lesnar. But as far as legit guys in the WWE goes he's be considered one of the toughest.

My point was Vince might see him as a good fit for Brock because he could work stiff and it would have a certain appeal to shoot fight fans who are also wrestling fans. The mainstream press could be made to draw some legit interest.

Much the same Angle would. Angle is a bigger name in wrestling and shoot fighting but never did MMA whereas Del Rio has.

Regardless of his MMA detsils, I wouldn't want to fight Del Rio!

Del Rio in a wrestling ring seems pointless as all he does in put that arm lock on & everyone taps out. It's always inevitable. Notice how Lesnar doesn't do that. He just brawls. Lesnar could have ended his matches vs The Undertaker in a minute or less if he chose to. He doesn't fall back on his UFC background when he wrestles. His main move is the suplex but that's not an MMA move but from his amateur wrestling days.

Well yeah if Brock wanted to shoot he's end most matches in seconds.

Yet Del Rio uses a submission hold to win in almost every match & Lesnar doesn't. It's almost like Lesnar has nothing to prove as he is so dominant yet Del Rio still does even though most wrestling fans have no idea of his amateur wrestling & MMA background. Del Rio doesn't need a submission hold to win as he is a great wrestler yet he does so in 90% of his matches. I just find that interesting. 

I preferred his back cracker/low super kick combo to the arm bar. Problem with submissions now a days is fans are too exposed to ufc and can tell when a submission is fake especially when it's a move like an arm bar

He also used a double foot stomp as a finish this week. But really every guy should have a key pin finish and submission finish and one or two secondary spots they get over.

Speaking of old guys doing MMA there have been rumors of Angle vs Shamrock. I don't think it will happen but I do think the money offer would be good enough that Angle might consider it for a minute. Angle's strong desire is a return to wwe. Vince is stubbornly opposed however.

I preferred his back cracker/low super kick combo to the arm bar. Problem with submissions now a days is fans are too exposed to ufc and can tell when a submission is fake especially when it's a move like an arm bar

He also used a double foot stomp as a finish this week. But really every guy should have a key pin finish and submission finish and one or two secondary spots they get over.

Speaking of old guys doing MMA there have been rumors of Angle vs Shamrock. I don't think it will happen but I do think the money offer would be good enough that Angle might consider it for a minute. Angle's strong desire is a return to wwe. Vince is stubbornly opposed however.

I thought it was Triple H who told Angle the WWE is not interested?

I was more referring to

He earned a place on the Mexico national team in Greco-Roman wrestling and while competing on the national team obtained several accomplishments.[21] In 1997, he placed third at the World Junior Championships, in the Czech Republic.[21] He also won the Central American and Caribbean Games in his weight division three times and won a medal at the Pan American Games. Rodríguez was on track to compete at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, but due to a lack of funding and support, Mexico did not send a wrestling team that year.[5]

He also has a record of 9-5 in MMA. So while not amazing he is still an accomplished amateur wrestler and professional mixed martial artist. He had several offers to do MMA in the past year.

Just a correction.  He did not medal at the Pan Am Games I can't even find anything that says he qualified).  He did compete at the Pan Am Greco-Roman Championships which is a much different and smaller event , but he never medalled.  In 97 he finished 5th, and he competed again in 98 but finished no higher than 4th (I can only find the medals winners for this year).  There were no championships in 1999 due to the Pan Am games in Winnipeg, and if he competed in 2000, then he did not medal again in this year.

I thought it was Triple H who told Angle the WWE is not interested?

Angle called Vince.  Vince told him Hunter makes all personnel decisions now.  Angle called Hunter.  Hunter said we're not interested. Angle called Vince back and Vince deferred.  There was some heat on Angle for "going over Hunter's head".  Realistically, the call is still Vince's but they are making it seem like Hunter's call as part of his training to take over for Vince.

Same thing with Del Rio.  Hunter was the one who fired him and the one who re-hired him but Vince has to okay it.  Especially at the price they paid.

Regarding Angle, Vince was the one who made the call to fire him when Angle refused to go to rehab.  And his opinion is they cant risk something bad happening to an Olympic Gold Medalist on their watch as the PR nightmare would be a killer.  I dont know how Hunter would feel if Vince wasnt around.  And Vince might change his mind eventually if rating continue to slide.

Hunter once sabotaged Angle a bit.  When they did the love triangle with Steph and the story was designed where Steph would go with Angle and the fans wanted it and Hunter said "Triple H is not the type of character that his woman would leave for another man". 

I was more referring to

Just a correction.  He did not medal at the Pan Am Games I can't even find anything that says he qualified).  He did compete at the Pan Am Greco-Roman Championships which is a much different and smaller event , but he never medalled.  In 97 he finished 5th, and he competed again in 98 but finished no higher than 4th (I can only find the medals winners for this year).  There were no championships in 1999 due to the Pan Am games in Winnipeg, and if he competed in 2000, then he did not medal again in this year.

You're right.  Wiki is wrong. He placed 4th at the Pan Am Games which I assume is out of medal contention.

I don't ever see Lesnar vs Del Rio happening, It's just not believable that Del Rio could beat him.... 

Not sure what's next for Lesnar but.... If i was the guy in charge... Wrestlemania coming up in a few months.. time for some slow builds to start

Rock vs Brock 

Undertaker vs Cena

Those are 2 matches I wouldn't mind seeing

Would love to see Austin vs Lesnar but.. unlikely

I also think you will see Rollins vs HHH (but not if Rollins is still champ) 

Have been to 3 live shows over the past couple years. They are really entertaining some times a lot better than the TV product.

I've been to about 6 in my life time, one in minny( RAW), was at the RAW in Winnipeg too   and I would honestly say that the house shows are 100000x better than the TV show

The TV show has so many breaks, you really don't know what you are gonna get either, with house shows, the guys can go out there and actually wrestle and when they actually are allowed to wrestle and go 15 20 minutes plus, It's damn good.  I'll take the 15 20 minute matches over the 5 minute TV matches any day

Raw  was cool, was really cool but... at the same time, I'm not sure I'd go to another RAW because you really don't get your moneys worth like you do at a house show. 

Have been to 3 live shows over the past couple years. They are really entertaining some times a lot better than the TV product.

I've been to about 6 in my life time, one in minny( RAW), was at the RAW in Winnipeg too   and I would honestly say that the house shows are 100000x better than the TV show

The TV show has so many breaks, you really don't know what you are gonna get either, with house shows, the guys can go out there and actually wrestle and when they actually are allowed to wrestle and go 15 20 minutes plus, It's damn good.  I'll take the 15 20 minute matches over the 5 minute TV matches any day

Raw  was cool, was really cool but... at the same time, I'm not sure I'd go to another RAW because you really don't get your moneys worth like you do at a house show. 

The House Shows are ok as far as seeing the talent up close.  And Winnipeg usually has a good atmosphere so the guys want to do well.  But 99% of the time, nothing happens at House Shows so they dont really matter.

I was at RAW and SD in Winnipeg and loved them.  Tremendous shows.  Not many markets host both TV's and sell them both out.  Its almost shocking they havent brought TV back to Winnipeg.

I will usually go to a house show once every year or two but not every few months when they come.  Here's a little knowns fact, back in the day the local promoters used to get front row comps.  Not anymore!

The last live event I went to was in 1991 or 92 when WWE came to Calgary during the Stampede. The Hart Family with their Canadian flag & put downs of Americans wrestled Shawn Micheals, Steve Austin & another guys that was tops with the Company at the time. The Harts were heels in the US but faces up here & guys like Austin & Michaels who normally were faces were the heels carrying the American flag. Saddledome sold out & the Harts won in a brawl at the end. Lots of fun. First time I ever saw the Undertaker with Paul Bearer. 

The last live event I went to was in 1991 or 92 when WWE came to Calgary during the Stampede. The Hart Family with their Canadian flag & put downs of Americans wrestled Shawn Micheals, Steve Austin & another guys that was tops with the Company at the time. The Harts were heels in the US but faces up here & guys like Austin & Michaels who normally were faces were the heels carrying the American flag. Saddledome sold out & the Harts won in a brawl at the end. Lots of fun. First time I ever saw the Undertaker with Paul Bearer. 

You must mean 1997.  That was the Canada/US feud between the Hart Foundation and Steve Austin.