The market has spoken - SUN News Network has shutdown

blueandgoldguy

If by intolerant you mean the left won't tolerate those important matters like equal rights for women, denying real science, and equal rights for gays and lesbians than your right.  Such views should not influence in a political atmosphere because they are morally wrong.

No I'm not talking human rights, I'm talking anything on the right. I see it all the time on the internet. People had no trouble lambasting the view on networks like sun news, yet citing blogs from incredibly biased left wingers as truth. The left is very intolerant to anything other than their world view. Look at how much **** Alberta gets for maintaining low taxes. The left won't hear of any sort of positive, it's just a travesty and barbaric that they're not gouging the populace in order to spend spend spend. 

Alberta needs a PST as we haven't enough revenue when oil prices tank like now. I hate taxes but this seems like a no brainer to me, 17. 

Oh and I agree, a PST and a progressive income tax rather than a flat tax would do a lot of good, but that's not what the issue is here, the issue is with the lefties who are intolerant of an opinion that is different than theirs. 

If by intolerant you mean the left won't tolerate those important matters like equal rights for women, denying real science, and equal rights for gays and lesbians than your right. Such views should not influence in a political atmosphere because they are morally wrong.

No I'm not talking human rights, I'm talking anything on the right. I see it all the time on the internet. People had no trouble lambasting the view on networks like sun news, yet citing blogs from incredibly biased left wingers as truth. The left is very intolerant to anything other than their world view. Look at how much **** Alberta gets for maintaining low taxes. The left won't hear of any sort of positive, it's just a travesty and barbaric that they're not gouging the populace in order to spend spend spend.

I often disagree with your football points, but this I totally agree with.

Tolerant only of their own ideals. No side is perfect. And frankly, if you want the whole story for any news story you have to watch all networks and read all newspapers and then maybe you might hear 75% of the story.

Everyone has an agenda.

I agree with the sense that a person needs to see all sides to make an informed decision.  Im a big, big Stephen Harper fan and I agree with Wayne Gretzky who called him one of our finest PM's.  But that doesnt mean I agree with everything he does or every single one of his positions.  But one thing I do loath is the mindless anti-Harper stuff.  You see it a lot.  When it comes from Aboriginal groups, it's really sad because it's so uninformed and mis-guided.  I followed Unifor on twitter only because they are "my" workplace union and I like to hear "the other side" but I had to unfollow because it was just too much over the top anti-Harper nonsense.  Like literally everything Harper does is bad and everything bad that happens is Harper's fault.

Im still waiting for his secret agenda to unfold, the one where he intends to take away women's rights, reinstate the death penalty, put everyone in jail, have the military policing the streets etc.  However it does remind me of a great video I saw when he won his majority which compared his speech to that of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith where one can assume Harper's speech writer was a Star Wars fan as he lifted it word for word from the film.  Funny stuff.

If by intolerant you mean the left won't tolerate those important matters like equal rights for women, denying real science, and equal rights for gays and lesbians than your right.  Such views should not influence in a political atmosphere because they are morally wrong.

Alberta needs a PST as we haven't enough revenue when oil prices tank like now. I hate taxes but this seems like a no brainer to me, 17. 

Alberta needed a PST when things were going well. Stick some cash away for a rainy day (like now). Tie it to the price of oil (set annually) so it reduces when oil prices go down and increases when they go up. And then when employment drops as oil price has dropped, use the funds to maintain infastructure and the like. Labour is cheaper (less competition). Now would be a good time to build proper roads to Fort Mack, if they had had the foresight to put money aside for it.

Alberta needed a PST when things were going well. Stick some cash away for a rainy day (like now). Tie it to the price of oil (set annually) so it reduces when oil prices go down and increases when they go up. And then when employment drops as oil price has dropped, use the funds to maintain infastructure and the like. Labour is cheaper (less competition). Now would be a good time to build proper roads to Fort Mack, if they had had the foresight to put money aside for it.

Alberta has a rainy day fund. Trouble is they've mismanaged it. The simple fact is that in the past 10 years the population of Alberta has absolutely boomed. Going from a population of about 3 million to 4 million is a huge influx of people and the way King Ralph ran things prioritizing getting out of debt rather than keeping up with infrastructure spending has left the province with a deficit of infrastructure and they gotta spend now to build it. There is a ton of spending going on in Alberta and has been for a while now. They used the money to pay for it rather than investing in the rainy day fund so what's really the difference? 

People like to talk about Norway and their huge wealth fund, but what's going to happen when Norways oil is used up? They going to just have the government pay everyone rather than have them involved in the production of oil? No matter how much money Alberta put away in a rainy day fund when the oil is gone it's gone and the province will need a diversified economy. They can do it though, there's a highly skilled and educated workforce there and a business friendly environment. It will adapt as oil become less viable. 

Alberta has a rainy day fund. Trouble is they've mismanaged it. The simple fact is that in the past 10 years the population of Alberta has absolutely boomed. Going from a population of about 3 million to 4 million is a huge influx of people and the way King Ralph ran things prioritizing getting out of debt rather than keeping up with infrastructure spending has left the province with a deficit of infrastructure and they gotta spend now to build it. There is a ton of spending going on in Alberta and has been for a while now. They used the money to pay for it rather than investing in the rainy day fund so what's really the difference? 

People like to talk about Norway and their huge wealth fund, but what's going to happen when Norways oil is used up? They going to just have the government pay everyone rather than have them involved in the production of oil? No matter how much money Alberta put away in a rainy day fund when the oil is gone it's gone and the province will need a diversified economy. They can do it though, there's a highly skilled and educated workforce there and a business friendly environment. It will adapt as oil become less viable. 

A soverign wealth fund is used to diversify an economy away from resources. It isn't there to cut residents a cheque in perpetuity after the oil dries up.

A soverign wealth fund is used to diversify an economy away from resources. It isn't there to cut residents a cheque in perpetuity after the oil dries up.

OK so you just pay a company to do busy work then and hire people. It still amounts to a ridiculous proposition. There are plenty of ways to diversify an economy when the resources are gone. It's a government for gods sake, not like they need to save for retirement because a government never retires. Quite frankly having low taxes attracts businesses to the province. Calgary is a more diverse economy than people give it credit for I think. Yes there is a lot of oil and gas there, but there's a lot of other stuff as well. 

I agree with the sense that a person needs to see all sides to make an informed decision.  Im a big, big Stephen Harper fan and I agree with Wayne Gretzky who called him one of our finest PM's.  But that doesnt mean I agree with everything he does or every single one of his positions.  But one thing I do loath is the mindless anti-Harper stuff.  You see it a lot.  When it comes from Aboriginal groups, it's really sad because it's so uninformed and mis-guided.  I followed Unifor on twitter only because they are "my" workplace union and I like to hear "the other side" but I had to unfollow because it was just too much over the top anti-Harper nonsense.  Like literally everything Harper does is bad and everything bad that happens is Harper's fault.

Im still waiting for his secret agenda to unfold, the one where he intends to take away women's rights, reinstate the death penalty, put everyone in jail, have the military policing the streets etc.  However it does remind me of a great video I saw when he won his majority which compared his speech to that of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith where one can assume Harper's speech writer was a Star Wars fan as he lifted it word for word from the film.  Funny stuff.

The left is ludicrous as usual. 

OK so you just pay a company to do busy work then and hire people. It still amounts to a ridiculous proposition. There are plenty of ways to diversify an economy when the resources are gone. It's a government for gods sake, not like they need to save for retirement because a government never retires. Quite frankly having low taxes attracts businesses to the province. Calgary is a more diverse economy than people give it credit for I think. Yes there is a lot of oil and gas there, but there's a lot of other stuff as well. 

You make investments that allow you diversify your economy away from resources. It's a pretty proven concept. Abu Dhabi has a very successful one. It is a mechanism that allows you to prepare and adapt when oil becomes less viable, which is your second point. I'm curious as to how you think it is a bad thing? I'm also curious as to the better ways to diversify an economy away from resources then to save a portion of the oil revenues and specifically invest them in a targeted way to diversify the economy?