East side plaza markers

I posted this on OB months ago and no one seems to know the answer so thought I'd ask here....

On the East side plaza there are giant blue first down markers at IGF. There are supposed to be one for each grey cup win by the Bombers. To date I still only count 9. What am I missing here??? Does anyone know why there aren't 10??? Did they put the 10th somewhere else? Am I just being too anal about this??

The Bombers didn't win the 1935 grey Cup. The team was called the Winnipeg Winnipegs. So, the Bombers have won 9 Grey Cups not 10.

The Winnipeg Football Club started as the Winnipeg Winnipegs and then became the Blue Bombers. Same team, different names. It's 10 Grey Cups.

how many does hamilton pretend to have again?

Not according to CFL HOF. The Winnipeg "Pegs" won the 1935 Grey Cup. Not the Blue Bombers. It's 9.

I think the difference is Hamiltons were different teams the Bombers were the same team different name. Either way.....the website says 10 first down markers one for each year the won the cup. Lets not argue over the amount. I just enter to know where the 10th is :)

Not according to CFL HOF. The Winnipeg "Pegs" won the 1935 Grey Cup. Not the Blue Bombers. It's 9.

And the CFL website says it was the Winnipeg Winnipegs who were nicknamed the 'Pegs. http://cfl.ca/greycupcentral/year/1935 And the Bombers website say 10. http://www.bluebombers.com/page/grey_cups

The Winnipeg Football Club was founded in 1930. Changing the name of the team from the Winnipegs to the Blue Bombers doesn't change the fact that the Winnipeg Football Club has won 10 Grey Cups.

And the CFL website says it was the Winnipeg Winnipegs who were nicknamed the 'Pegs. http://cfl.ca/greycupcentral/year/1935 And the Bombers website say 10. http://www.bluebombers.com/page/grey_cups

The Winnipeg Football Club was founded in 1930. Changing the name of the team from the Winnipegs to the Blue Bombers doesn't change the fact that the Winnipeg Football Club has won 10 Grey Cups.

Well, tell that to the CFL HOF. Because according to them, the "Blue Bombers" have won 9 Grey Cups.

Well, tell that to the CFL HOF. Because according to them, the "Blue Bombers" have won 9 Grey Cups.

The Bombers officially celebrated their 75th anniversary in 2005.  This means the club considers itself to have formed in 1930.  So the 1935 Grey Cup would belong to them.  I would say that the CFL HOF is wrong.

It is no different then a sports franchise moving cities and / or changing names and carrying the history and records with them.  

I'm not arguing the fact that one may have been under a different name. As it was said before the club has 10. And from the facts site for IGF it says "There is field turf in the east planter parking area, the stripe match the yard markers on the main field. There are 10 first down markers in this turf to commemorate the 10 Grey Cup wins." If it said 9 I wouldn't need to discuss this. It say 10 I just wanted the experts at MBB to tell me if they knew why only 9 are in place. I emailed the Bombers and had no response.

This is turning into one of the worlds greatest unsolved mysteries.... :)

Well, like I said... The Winnipeg Winnipegs won the 1935 Grey Cup & that is what is listed on the CFL HOF website under past Grey Cup champions. Not the Blue Bombers. According to the CFL & the HOF the team has won 9. Don't tell me, tell them. You can tell me anything you want & it won't change what is on their website.

Well, like I said... The Winnipeg Winnipegs won the 1935 Grey Cup & that is what is listed on the CFL HOF website under past Grey Cup champions. Not the Blue Bombers. According to the CFL & the HOF the team has won 9. Don't tell me, tell them. You can tell me anything you want & it won't change what is on their website.

The Hall of Fame counts the wins by nicknames, not organization. And if you want to get really picky, there is no CFL HOF. It's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.  ;)

The Hall of Fame counts the wins by nicknames, not organization. And if you want to get really picky, there is no CFL HOF. It's the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.  ;)

Jacquie, the Winnipegs are not the Bombers. They are the Winnipegs. They are listed as the GC winners in 1935. You can say whatever the hell you want. Like I said, call the CANADIAN FOOTBALL Hall of Fame & take it up with  them. Quit correcting me. And sorry about the name of the HOF. I screwed up. So sorry. My bad. I should have known better. Jeez, whatever.

Do you know what ;) means? The irony seemed too much.

I guess this is another case of everyone else being wrong. Stupid Bombers for celebrating their 80th anniversary in 2010. Someone should have told them they weren't supposed to include 1930-1935 in the team's history. I bet it was all Joe Mack's fault.

Jacquie, the Winnipegs are not the Bombers. They are the Winnipegs. They are listed as the GC winners in 1935. You can say whatever the hell you want. Like I said, call the CANADIAN FOOTBALL Hall of Fame & take it up with  them. Quit correcting me. And sorry about the name of the HOF. I screwed up. So sorry. My bad. I should have known better. Jeez, whatever.

My god, who pissed in your cheerios?

Quit playing silly bugger just for the sake of it.

Same organization, different name.  Not sure why you insist on arguing this.

I emailed the HOF and asked them

Here was my question to them:

I have a question about some details on your website.

According to this page:

It states that the Blue Bombers have won 9 Grey Cups.  Yet the Winnipeg Blue Bombers considers itself to have been formed in 1930 and changed names from the Winnipeg Winnipegs to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

They include the 1935 Grey Cup won by the Winnipeg Peg's in their history.

I was wondering if this was simply an oversight on your website, or does the CFL Hall of Fame consider the franchise to have only won 9 Grey Cups?

This was their response:

Thanks for the question.  On the Grey Cup, the Winnipeg Pegs name is seen on the Grey Cup not the Blue Bombers in the 1935 slot, so to the record books (and in my opinion) they won the Grey Cup.  You are right about the Blue Bombers changing their name in '35, but for some reason they did not use it and opted for the 'Pegs.

It is the same thing with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.  They state they won 15 Grey Cups, but in reality, they won 8 Grey Cups in the Tiger-Cats era.   The city of Hamilton won 15.

In the Blue Bombers era, they won 9, the 'Pegs won 1, the city  of Winnipeg won 10.

Hope this  helps.

Do you know what ;) means? The irony seemed too much.

I guess this is another case of everyone else being wrong. Stupid Bombers for celebrating their 80th anniversary in 2010. Someone should have told them they weren't supposed to include 1930-1935 in the team's history. I bet it was all Joe Mack's fault.

Probably was Mack's  fault. Besides, I kept tellling you that's what the CFL HOF has on its website. You kept telling me I'm wrong. Tell THEM, not me.

Call collect.