Jets @ Hawks - Dec 23

Jacquie

So here are some questions to Ponder

What do we do when our four D are back

When will Hutch either directly or indirectly be appointed starter? And by indirectly I mean just starting more than Pavs...

Even if they love Pavs just from a development perspective don't you need to give hutch some consecutive starts to see why you've got?

Great victory. Jets are for real.

One other thing I forgot to mention until Gary Lawless reminded me with his tweet this morning, does Hutch factor into the Calder Trophy talk?

IMO its hard to say right now. I think we will stay with the rotation so this may hurt his chances.

But i do think if he keeps playing the way he is and we get into the playoffs then for sure hes in the convo.

I think we have the real deal here in Hutch. Pretty impressed in how this guy plays. 

One other thing I forgot to mention until Gary Lawless reminded me with his tweet this morning, does Hutch factor into the Calder Trophy talk?

I would say yes, but he is still behind Forsberg who is putting up a point per game and leading the league in plus minus (for whatever that's worth). Hutch will have to firmly usurp the starting job AND continue to put up fantastic numbers in order to have a real shot.

When will Hutch either directly or indirectly be appointed starter? And by indirectly I mean just starting more than Pavs...

When PaMa(not PoMo) said he would still rotate them I thought this is the same thing as saying a coach's job is secure,

Hutch is #1 now in everyone's eyes except maybe the coach and he decides the lineup.

Hutch:

Winning Percentage: .800 (2nd)

Save Percentage: .944 (1st)

GAA: 1.67 (1st)

Now he's only played 13 games.  But still....statistically speaking the Jets have the best goalie in the league right now.

For comparison sake (Pavs):

Games Played: 25

Winning Percentage: .556 (27th)

Save percentage: .913 (24th)

GAA: 2.34 (12th)

Career-wise, Pavs is 2.91 GAA and .906 Save % so statistically he's having a good season.  In fact, thus far it's his best season since 2010/2011, his last year in Atlanta.  Interestingly, his first year in Winnipeg when he was named Jets MVP (I believe), his stats mirrored his career numbers.

Pavs has two years left after this year at $3.9 million.

However, Hutch only has one year left (at $575,000) but will be an RFA.  So we will re-sign him but if his numbers hold up (big if), he will be looking for starter money and minutes.  As an RFA he wont get elite starter money.  Comparison-wise though, Pavs was an RFA and and got 5 years at $19.5 million.  The Jets had little option behind him though so not much leverage.

Another thing to consider, Pavs actual dollar value his final two years:

2015-2016: $4.25 million

2016/2017: $4.75 million

In 2016/17, Paves will be making almost $5 million.  Hutch will be in Year One of a new contract.  And Connor Hellebuyck will be in the final year of his ELC.

Going into that year, the following Jets will also need new contracts:

Buff (UFA)

Ladd (UFA)

Scheif (RFA)

Lowry (RFA)

Trouba (RFA)

Frolik is the only major piece in need of a contract before then which I suspect will get done shortly.  So where this team is, what the budget is and what the vision for the future will dictate some decisions.  It will be very interesting come summer 2016.

It is entertaining to watch EVERY game thread turn into a pav vs hutch stat-fest tho, isn't it? I mean unless pavs wins... Then silence lol..

Well to be fair when Pavs wins or plays great it's been the exception to the rule. Hutch has been far more consistent. And the goalie issue is one of the hot issues of the team. I think it's perfectly fine to discuss.

It is entertaining to watch EVERY game thread turn into a pav vs hutch stat-fest tho, isn't it? I mean unless pavs wins... Then silence lol..

Well to be fair when Pavs wins or plays great it's been the exception to the rule. Hutch has been far more consistent. And the goalie issue is one of the hot issues of the team. I think it's perfectly fine to discuss.

Its actually nice to be able to discuss a good problem we have.

Great win, huge win. What to do with the D when they all get healthy? It's pretty simple really..

Pardy isn't good, Chiarot is better so Pardy gets waived to St Johns, nobody will pick him up and if they do, big woop really. Clitsome isn't that great either, Chiarot is better, Clitsome either gets waived to St Johns or traded for a pick, like a 6th rounder for example... Harrison? Not sure, not enough of a sample size but i'd suspect he sticks on the third pairing, I know people have this weird love for Postma but the guy seriously plays only about 10 minutes a game, coaches must not be in love with his game as some of the fans are. Perhaps you package him in a deal or you put him upstairs, Buff goes back to forward because for as good as he has been playing on D, he is a liability on D,  Don't get me wrong, love buff but man, you get some good and you get some bad and usually the bad ends up in the back of our net. 

Bogo,Toby.

Trouba,Stuart

Postma/Harrison,Chiarot

Postma/Harrison upstairs. 

Clitsome,Pardy either waved or traded for that 6th round pick we traded to get Harrison. 

Buff goes to forward and halischuk goes to the 4th line and repalaces, i'd imagine peluso. 

Saw glimpses of it vs Philly and even against Chicago eventho we won but our D is very AHL right now, the guys playing right now aren't very good, Buff is the only legit D man we have right now and he's better at forward. The other 5, man... they aren't good. Breakouts haven't been as crisp, passes aren't on the tape, they aren't pinching as much as they did before because if they do, they get beat, giving up more off man rushes too. 

Our 2nd best, could argue he is our best all around d man, in terms of actually playing D but he is an AHL call-up. That says it all really, What do you do when they all get healthy? you play the 4 injured guys and put buff at forward, and replace 3 of the other d men, choose your own adventure as to who those d men are tho really. 

Really, your choices are anyone but Chiarot really.