Dec 21 @ 8:00: Flyers @ Jets

Jacquie

.826 save percentage for Pavs.  I assume Hutch gets the start in Chicago.  If he plays well, can they really go back with Pavs or is this Hutch's chance to string together a few games?  It almost seems that when Hutch has a game that *might* be the decider on him, he comes up a bit flat.  Hopefully not the case.

Seeing people demanding Hutch be the starter...I dont see it yet.  I for one am shocked that Pavs has lost the starting job.  And even though the Jets wont say that, its true.  Pavs played great in the Buffalo game and yet Hutch started the next one.  That means Pavs is not the starter anymore and they are looking for one guy to embrace it.  Or possibly they are looking for Hutch to step up. 

With Pavs contract, Im not sure what this looks like though.  If Hutch stakes a claim for the starter, are they going to trade Pavs and use Budaj as the veteran back up?  I cant see them trading Pavs if the Jets have a shot at the Playoffs.  Its a really interesting thing.  If Hutch is better, going into next year, they still have him on his ELC so they could keep both and have Pavs as an expensive back up.

Im rooting for Hutch but its not time to put Pavs out to pasture yet.

The goals that Pavelec let in last night weren't necessarily weak goals.   A 2 on 1, a give away right in front of the net, etc. But you need your goaltender to make the big saves to keep you in the game sometimes.  Hutch seems to be able to make the big save when he has to.  And while save percentage never tells the whole story, Pavelec was under .900 again last night, and if you look at his last 5 starts I believe ... not good.

If Hutch has a big game tomorrow night, you have to wonder if he doesn't start taking more starts.  Or does the Christmas break kind of "reset" things after that.

I can't see them trading Pavelec at all this year, too risky as Hutch is still a very young goalie and can yet go through some tough patches.  And as you suggest TUP, contract wise there is no reason to trade Pavs right now as Hutch is cheap.  I wonder who would even be in the market for him (more Edmonton rumours?).  

If things continue like this, I can see Hutch taking the job by the end of the season and them trying to move Pavelec in the off season.  Hellebuyck may be ready to move up to the NHL soon, but they would probably try to sign a cheaper veteran backup for Hutch if they traded Pavs.  

In my perfect dream world....  Jets makes the playoff and Hutch steals the job by standing on his head in the playoffs.

Nothing against Pavelec, but his ceiling appears to be average.  Hutchinson looks like he has the chance to be great.

Its part of the over-all enigma that is the Jets and the "dual" core they have.  We talked about it with the "Atlanta Five" before.  In Edmonton, they essentially have one young core to grow together (Maybe some vets for spare parts).  For the Jets, there is the Ladd, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom, Little "core" and the Trouba, Scheif, Kane, Bogo "core".

Same thing with the goaltending.  HBuck isnt ready yet and can you imagine starting next season with Hutch and HBuck as your two goaltenders? Yikes.  I thought they might trade Budaj to get the D replacement but they didnt and knowing Budaj would surely like to go somewhere else, it might mean that they want him for some reason.

I think Pavs is young enough and his contract okay enough to get traded.  The Oilers would certainly be a prime location.  In a world where Bryz and Brodeur are getting contracts, Pavs would be attractive to teams.

2016 is the year of reckoning though with so many contracts coming due.

Pav is 3-0-3 in his last 6 starts i believe. Not terrible exactly. Didn't receive any help at all, the harrison/kane giveaway was awful and the buff/chiarot miscue in OT was brutal too. Pav did make some big saves last night, IMO he was the reason the game actually made it to OT as Philly absolutely dominated the Jets in the third from start to finish really. 

But i do agree that Hutch does seem to make the big save and does seem to look like he has the ability to be better than average, which pavelec has been this year, better than average. Pav seems to play better on the road and i wonder if maybe playing Hutch at home and Pav on the road would be something they look at doing. 

Regarding trading pav, there were rumors floating around about Edmonton having interest in him. What can you get for him, who knows but.... I'd imagine maybe a Pav for Fasth trade might help both teams out. 

For some perspective tho, the Jets are without their top 4 D and have picked up points in basically 10 of their last 12 or so games. Not bad really. Yeah they probably let one get away by not really playing to win in the third last night but for a team down their top 4 D men, if they can keep getting points, which they have been doing, they should be ok. They do have a little bit of a cushion as it comes to a playoff spot right now and reality is only about 5 or 6 points out of 1st in the division, If they can even go .500 the next month or so until everyone is healthy, they will have a very good chance at making the playoffs. 

Only thing i'll add is... some of you guys need to stop freaking out after every loss or every game where the team only gets 1 of 2 points. Jesus, reading some posts after a loss, you'd think they just blew a 5 goal lead in game 7 of the stanley cup finals. It's crazy actually. What's the teams record the last 11 or 12 games, something like 7-1-3 or so in the last 11. Only one game in the last 11 where they haven't got a point? Time to chill. 

Are they supposed to win every game or something? Reality is they are a bubble team that right now are only a few points out of 2nd in what some call the toughest division in hockey now. This team is playing well above expectations right now, they might slip up a bit, with the top 4 d men out, it wouldn't shock me but man oh man, all these crazy posts after a loss, it's insane.  Just like bomber game day post game threads, people need to just chill and relax a bit b4 posting cuz it's pretty apparent that lots of posts after loss's are just nothing but emotions talking. 

Only thing i'll add is... some of you guys need to stop freaking out after every loss or every game where the team only gets 1 of 2 points. Jesus, reading some posts after a loss, you'd think they just blew a 5 goal lead in game 7 of the stanley cup finals. It's crazy actually. What's the teams record the last 11 or 12 games, something like 7-1-3 or so in the last 11. Only one game in the last 11 where they haven't got a point? Time to chill.

Are they supposed to win every game or something? Reality is they are a bubble team that right now are only a few points out of 2nd in what some call the toughest division in hockey now. This team is playing well above expectations right now, they might slip up a bit, with the top 4 d men out, it wouldn't shock me but man oh man, all these crazy posts after a loss, it's insane. Just like bomber game day post game threads, people need to just chill and relax a bit b4 posting cuz it's pretty apparent that lots of posts after loss's are just nothing but emotions talking.

Who is freaking out in this thread? The jets lost and the reasons why are being discussed in the game day thread. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

The Pav vs. Hutch debate will continue no matter what until there is a clear cut starter.

I'm ecstatic with our record given that our top 4 D-men are out, however I'm never going to be "happy" after a loss, especially one where we were up 3 - 1 going into the third and only managed a couple of shots in the period.

well maybe not this forum specifically but twitter after a loss is insanity, so is hfboards always. Guess i shouldn't have said this forum specifically but lots of people do tend to over exaggerate the losses at times. Getting points is good, that was my main point and that's what the Jets have been doing. 

well maybe not this forum specifically but twitter after a loss is insanity, so is hfboards always. Guess i shouldn't have said this forum specifically but lots of people do tend to over exaggerate the losses at times. Getting points is good, that was my main point and that's what the Jets have been doing. 

For sure.  And certainly now because there is a goalie controversey and no defined number one.  So both guys are going to be over analyzed after every game.