Why no Marve?

trueBlue83

I thought they took a little too long to pull Willy today! It's okay to be optimistic O'Shea, but this one was done early. Would have been nice to see Brohm in to start the 2nd & close out the half, then give Marve a half of ball! The way the Eskies D were getting in there, we could have benefitted if even a little bit, from having more of a scrambler which Marve kinda strikes me as. I knew some will say maybe that's showing quit, but I guess I'm just trying to be realistic here...

We're playing for next season at this point (and were 15 minutes into this game). We know what we've got with Willy if we can give him enough time! Get these other guys some real reps so we've got a better evaluation heading into the offseason.

If I don't see Marve next week, I won't watch another game this season, and will give away my BC tickets!

I called for Marve a few weeks ago. Willy I truly believe is not only banged up but in shell shock. He still is, by far, our best QB but that being said I don't think he has any confidence whatsover. 

Last week, throwing that third int in Ottawa, he was swearing and yelling all the way back to the sidelines. Today, he just accepted what was happening. He, and his team, for the second time, were grossly overmatched by the Eskimo defense. 

BTW - Edmonton easily, I mean easily, could've gotten another shut out. They all looked like they wanted to go home in the second half. I did, as soon as the 50/50 was drawn with 9 and half minutes left - off I went. Why? Because the game had no flow at that point. 

We are now, officially, in the same boat as last year. Worst team in the CFL - not even close. And as each week goes by, we get worse and worse. I shudder to think what Calgary will do to us next week. 

I thought they took a little too long to pull Willy today! It's okay to be optimistic O'Shea, but this one was done early. Would have been nice to see Brohm in to start the 2nd & close out the half, then give Marve a half of ball! The way the Eskies D were getting in there, we could have benefitted if even a little bit, from having more of a scrambler which Marve kinda strikes me as. I knew some will say maybe that's showing quit, but I guess I'm just trying to be realistic here...

We're playing for next season at this point (and were 15 minutes into this game). We know what we've got with Willy if we can give him enough time! Get these other guys some real reps so we've got a better evaluation heading into the offseason.

If I don't see Marve next week, I won't watch another game this season, and will give away my BC tickets!

Well I guess you won't be watching another game and giving away your tickets because my guess is you won't see Marve

As Krunch pointed out, we have been getting worse and worse every week. Posters here were blaming it on the losses of Wild and Moore from the lineup but they were back yesterday, and the team was even worse than the week before. Not only was the offense almost completely toothless, the defence threw in the towel for the second week in a row. I don't see how its going to get any better from here on to the end of the season. Worse yet, I do not think the coaches have any idea how to turn things around.

I believe Marve didn't play because Brohm is the backup.

I never understand the clamor to take your starting QBs out of the game as soon as you see the first hint of a blowout.  Even the TSN guys yesterday were talking about taking out Reilly in the 3rd quarter already.

Seriously, every game of this losing streak my Twitter timeline is just peppered with all the Winnipeg media talking about how O'shea needs to pull Willy (haha) ASAP because "he's the future" and you have to protect him. This is happening in the 2nd quarter already for crying out loud. It's like giving a kid an awesome new toy, and then not letting him take it out of the packaging to play with it because you don't want it to lose it's future value.

And don't get me started on the idea of giving all three QBs playing time as if it's preseason.  When teams are bad enough to do that usually the "extended preseason" tryouts end up being pointless because most of the players and/or coaches involved are gone in the offseason anyways.

Disagree. There's a lot of evidence that Willy has been beaten down physically and mentally and to continue to throw him into the woodchipper makes little sense. We know how good he is when he has the supports and a steady diet of losses combined with being punished serves no useful purpose except as a sop to fans who still have fantasies about making the playoffs

This is the best opportunity we're ever going to get to see what we have behind Drew Willy.

By all means sit Willy next game…at least.

Lets start giving Marve some reps at practice to see him by the last game.

In the meantime, it's your show Mr Brohm.

Well if he's injured, yes sit him. We're obviously not fighting for a playoff spot.

But there's a reason that you never see teams bench their best, young, starting QB just because the team isn't very good.  How do you think that would go over in the lockerroom? How would that go over with Willy??

I actually am curious if anyone can think of a single example where this has happened in all of professional sports.

I actually am curious if anyone can think of a single example where this has happened in all of professional sports.

You can't be serious.... this happens all the time.  Just look at last season with the Jets.  3 games to go, they didn't start Montoya or Pavelec did they?  They went with Hutchinson the last 3 starts to see what he had.  Bombers are in the same boat.... evaluate in an actual game situation, not in garbage time in the preseason if you truly want to see what you've got!

I thought Brohm looked pretty good, and he did one thing Willy does not do, he threw the ball away, when he had to.

did that a few times. Willy would have been sacked, and pounded. 

part of the pounding he's been taking is due to him for unknown reasons not throwing the ball away when there's no other choice.

one thing I will say about Brohm, is there's definitely arm strength there.... he can gun it!  I'd just like to see both of them get some quality time over the next few weeks.  Look what happened in Hamilton... Collaros went down, and turned out that LeFevour had some huge upside.  Both of these guys were backups last season...

You can't be serious.... this happens all the time.  Just look at last season with the Jets.  3 games to go, they didn't start Montoya or Pavelec did they?  They went with Hutchinson the last 3 starts to see what he had.  Bombers are in the same boat.... evaluate in an actual game situation, not in garbage time in the preseason if you truly want to see what you've got!

I'm not buying that example at all.  The last 3 games of an 82 game NHL season is like the 4th quarter of the 18th CFL regular season game.  Plus Hutchinson got his first start because of injury and played great, and kept on playing great so they kept him in. Pavelec had been stinking out the joint to end the season as well.  Try again please!

Willy is still 2nd in the league in passing. If Pavelec is 2nd in the league in save percentage and in the running for some minor awards with 13 games to go and the Jets out of the playoffs, I guarantee you they don't start Hutchinson or Hellebyuck 10 times.

well the Riders went to that Doege guy pretty quick when Sunseri faltered, and they're still in the running.... giving Brohm the next 3 games would make zero sense.  Hell, even Jason Boltus got some playing time last season...

they went to Doege pretty quick because Sunseri was sucking the hind ***, and it turns out that Doege was even worse and it was a huge mistake on their part. Brohm actually played decently in his relief action and needs to be given reps because if Willy goes down he's the next one in. I'd rather do one guy right than half ass it with 2 guys. Marve is a rookie to the CFL there is nothing wrong with him sitting as a backup without playing this season. He showed he was worth keeping around in preseason, let him get over ripe before we throw him to the wolves. Have we learned nothing the last 20 years?

Not sure if Edmonton was playing off a bit, i don't really think so, don't see Chris Jones doing that but Brohm actually looked half decent out there. Put up some yards, moved the ball, didn't go 2 and out that often, Looked good. If Brohm was struggling sure, put in Marve but Brohm wasn't struggling, for a guy with no many actual game reps, he looked pretty decent all things considered. 

Like it or not, Brohm is the backup qb, he's a vet of sorts too, most guys like him are the backups. Marve is the first year player learning the new game, do i hope Marve gets a few reps when we are officially eliminated next week, yup.. i hope he gets some time in the last game of the year, i hope lots of the PR guys do too, let's see what they got.

But Brohm looked pretty decent last night and actually moved the ball. He wasn't the issue that's for sure. 

Not sure if Edmonton was playing off a bit, i don't really think so, don't see Chris Jones doing that but Brohm actually looked half decent out there. Put up some yards, moved the ball, didn't go 2 and out that often, Looked good. 

yeah I dunno that Edmonton came out all that different after half time, by the 4th quarter it was basically everyone Bombers included going through the motions but the big thing that Brohm was doing was throwing the ball quickly. Didn't always work but at least it gave a chance. Trying to step up in the pocket with the Bombers OL is a fools game because there is no pocket to step into. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember which year it was, but Calvillo was having a tough time getting his offence going and Trestman pulled him aside and made him watch a couple series from the sidelines to get a different look. Other coaches do it.....

Why, when Willy failed to put any sort of a decent drive together (that wasn't aided by BC penalties), wouldn't O'Shea sit him aside for a couple series to have a peek? He was clearly having trouble. Is his 'confidence' that fragile that he couldn't take it? Seems O'Shea wants to protect Drew at all costs, including with the game on the line. I honestly think Marve could have helped wi.n that game. This is more about O'Shea & Willy's dualing incapability to pull the trigger, than saying we lost cause Marve didn't play!

#16 better start in Calgary though!

I can't remember which year it was, but Calvillo was having a tough time getting his offence going and Trestman pulled him aside and made him watch a couple series from the sidelines to get a different look. Other coaches do it.....

Why, when Willy failed to put any sort of a decent drive together (that wasn't aided by BC penalties), wouldn't O'Shea sit him aside for a couple series to have a peek? He was clearly having trouble. Is his 'confidence' that fragile that he couldn't take it? Seems O'Shea wants to protect Drew at all costs, including with the game on the line. I honestly think Marve could have helped wi.n that game. This is more about O'Shea & Willy's dualing incapability to pull the trigger, than saying we lost cause Marve didn't play!

It being a meaningless game, hopefully MOS will come to his senses. Hopefully Marve doesn't try to run the ball himself 50% of the time. Stamps will figure that one out after the first series. Be good to see a few other PR players get some game action. Cameron Marshall maybe? And Portis, I'd like to see what he can do.

It being a meaningless game, hopefully MOS will come to his senses. Hopefully Marve doesn't try to run the ball himself 50% of the time. Stamps will figure that one out after the first series. Be good to see a few other PR players get some game action. Cameron Marshall maybe? And Portis, I'd like to see what he can do.

What about Philpot??? ;) Hint: Check previous threads.