OLine

Goalie

So.. it's pretty obvious and we've all known it for some time now, probably a few years now actually that they are  the biggest problem we have.

These are  4 of our starting 5  oline the last few weeks.. January,Greaves,Morley,Jones

Those 4 also were on last years Oline, Cant remember if Greaves was but January and Morley have definitely been around a while longer than just last season too.

Anyone remember our oline from last year? Got QB's killed left right and centre.. 4 of those guys have started the last several weeks now, no wonder we can't do much on O.

So, what does everyone think? Time to start Goossen at guard? swiston at tackle? get hinse on the roster too? 

Could those 3 be any worse then what we have the last several weeks from the current group of hogs?

I'll keep January,Greaves,Morley but I'd play Goossen and either Swiston or if healthy Neufeld at tackle next week. Couldn't be much worse and helps the ratio too. 

We gave up 5 sacks. Grigsby I thought had a decent game but its clear the oline isn't giving him holes to run through. While I'd love to parachute in new talent changing them right now is going to make things worse (hard to believe I know). Unfortunately we're stuck with this oline who is lucky Willy hasn't gotten killed. Walters will hopefully address the problem in the offseason. Just imagine how much better Willy will be with proper pass protection... Can't wait!

Grigsby is so indecisive that I find it very difficult to judge our OL on run blocking.  It's very rare for offensive linemen generally at this level to be poor run blockers though.  I'd tend to tie most of our run game problems to Grigsby.  I just don't think he is suited at all to running the ball in a zone blocking scheme, he needs to be told which gap he's running through.  He also gets taken down by arm tackles consistently, so that makes the OL look much worse.  Most RB's can bust through a guy getting a hand on their leg.

Greaves had a really bad game last night.  Hard time finding a block a lot of the time in pass protection as Willy was being snowed under, and when he did find a block he was getting driven through the pocket by Gaydosh and Hall.  Jarvis Jones struggled too.  A lot of the pressure was coming through the interior.

Personally, from what we've seen of Goossen this season when he's had to come in at guard, I don't think he's a good enough blocker to play anywhere but centre, and that's where he's going to play for his CFL career.  So yes, that would be much worse than Jarvis Jones.  Hinse is also a guy who you don't want playing anywhere but centre for very long.  Swiston's problems are health and conditioning, we don't know where he's at so it's hard to clamor for him to get on the roster.

Grigsby is so indecisive that I find it very difficult to judge our OL on run blocking.  It's very rare for offensive linemen generally at this level to be poor run blockers though.  I'd tend to tie most of our run game problems to Grigsby.  I just don't think he is suited at all to running the ball in a zone blocking scheme, he needs to be told which gap he's running through.  He also gets taken down by arm tackles consistently, so that makes the OL look much worse.  Most RB's can bust through a guy getting a hand on their leg.

He really needs better balance, there was one play I remember where he had a hole but someone got a hand on him as he went through and he just fell forward. Got a first down, but man if he kept his balance he had all sorts of room and likely could have ran for another 20 or 30 yards. He leaves so many yards on the field because he can't stay on his feet at all.

My biggest issue with the oline is we're starting THREE internationals. I'd rather have those international's elsewhere on the field. IMO one international is the max that should be starting. Given that we have three, our oline should be the best in the country, but it's not. 

As for Goosen, from what I've seen he's not ready to be an every day olineman yet. He's our future center (at least that's what I read when we drafted him) and he's learning so this season is good for him to be where he is, on the sidelines subbing in only when he has to. 

But yes, this offseason we better (over) spend for some solid national veteran oline talent if any are available in free agency

Greaves had a really bad game last night.  Hard time finding a block a lot of the time in pass protection as Willy was being snowed under, and when he did find a block he was getting driven through the pocket by Gaydosh and Hall.  Jarvis Jones struggled too.  A lot of the pressure was coming through the interior.

Personally, from what we've seen of Goossen this season when he's had to come in at guard, I don't think he's a good enough blocker to play anywhere but centre, and that's where he's going to play for his CFL career.  So yes, that would be much worse than Jarvis Jones.  Hinse is also a guy who you don't want playing anywhere but centre for very long.  Swiston's problems are health and conditioning, we don't know where he's at so it's hard to clamor for him to get on the roster.

Greaves was limping badly through most of the 4th qtr

How bad are Swiston and Hinse that they can't break this lineup...

Morley seems to have plateaued as a Centre or he is nicked up too.

Time to admit that January is on the downside of his career unfortunately.

Just put Knapp and Jones back at RG and RT, it was working well at the end of last season.

Just put Knapp and Jones back at RG and RT, it was working well at the end of last season.

I don't think we've ever played a game with Knapp and Jones at guard and tackle.  They played opposite tackles when January was out for a bit in the 2nd half of last season.

I don't think we've ever played a game with Knapp and Jones at guard and tackle.  They played opposite tackles when January was out for a bit in the 2nd half of last season.

Maybe you're right...  I thought we started 3 import OL for a few games last year though.

Regardless, Knapp looked dominant at RG and terrible at RT.  Vice versa for Jones.

I don't think we've ever played a game with Knapp and Jones at guard and tackle. They played opposite tackles when January was out for a bit in the 2nd half of last season.

Maybe you're right... I thought we started 3 import OL for a few games last year though.

Regardless, Knapp looked dominant at RG and terrible at RT. Vice versa for Jones.

If this was truly the case, don't you think we would be doing it? Contrary to belief around here, the fans don't know better then O'Shea, Wylie, Walters et all..

I don't think we've ever played a game with Knapp and Jones at guard and tackle. They played opposite tackles when January was out for a bit in the 2nd half of last season.

Maybe you're right... I thought we started 3 import OL for a few games last year though.

Regardless, Knapp looked dominant at RG and terrible at RT. Vice versa for Jones.

If this was truly the case, don't you think we would be doing it? Contrary to belief around here, the fans don't know better then O'Shea, Wylie, Walters et all..

You used to use this argument when Kelly, Burke, Mack were around... turned out that the fans did know better.  Not saying that is the case this time but I would like to see them try it.

The real odd part is they did replace someone during the bye week, whether its injury related or not, devin tyler started in place of cordaro howard. Tyler looked lost and this is a guy with a few years of CFL experience. Guess when you are surronded by ****, you become it too. 

January and Jarvis Jones were both horrendous last night

Last year our Oline came together once January was out for a bit and Jones went to LT then when January can back he went to RT ( Jones ) and down the stretch the Oline played very well. In my opinion January has had a poor year overall he always seems to be banged up I know he is a trouper and plays with pain and he is a good leader but I am seeing an average player these days he isn't nearly the player he was a few years ago I am not sure if his body is breaking down or what is happening but I am wondering if its time to make more dramatic changes to the oline like starting 3 Nationals and possibly sitting January or move him to an easier position ( RT ) And I would like to see the 3 hour brawler in there over what we have seen that is what is missing with this group someone with an edge to their game...

January and Jarvis Jones were both horrendous last night

Last year our Oline came together once January was out for a bit and Jones went to LT then when January can back he went to RT ( Jones ) and down the stretch the Oline played very well. In my opinion January has had a poor year overall he always seems to be banged up I know he is a trouper and plays with pain and he is a good leader but I am seeing an average player these days he isn't nearly the player he was a few years ago I am not sure if his body is breaking down or what is happening but I am wondering if its time to make more dramatic changes to the oline like starting 3 Nationals and possibly sitting January or move him to an easier position ( RT ) And I would like to see the 3 hour brawler in there over what we have seen that is what is missing with this group someone with an edge to their game...

The Ticat ends had January on roller skates most of the game, he was getting physically bull rushed but so where the rest of them at times. Just a really good dline they were up against.