Early Top 10 Ranking for 2015 Draft

Jpan85

Goosen was consensus #2 center and that's why we drafted him when we did.

I know. But read the exchange between JBR and me. JBR is saying draft BPA, don't draft based on position. Goossen was the consensus #2 center, but not the consensus #2 BPA. Using JBRs logic, that decision will 'handicap' the Bombers.

Goossen shows every sign of being at the least a good pick, possibly a great pick- we will know in a year or two.

All I'm saying is Goossen wasn't the consensus 2 best player available.

Who was?

There is no consensus 2nd best player.  There is little consensus of any kind.  There is no central scouting.  Even these rankings are anonymous.  Teams are willing to try and skew the system to get their players to fall.  9 teams have 9 different draft boards.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Bombers drafted their consensus 2nd best player.  At worst.  They might have even drafted their consensus best player.  Maybe everything they said in the press about Lavertu was their attempt at getting Goossen to drop to 2.  How do we know?  We're not in the room.

BPA is such a copout answer...  every team has a different 'best player available' - and that assessment reflects their own needs, depth, scouting, etc...

Goossen was #2 for bombers but probably not second best talent if Riders or Toronto had the pick...

The true answer is there is more than one answer. Not every draft class is evaluated and discussed with the same variables in mind, because no draft class is the same. Sometimes there is a consensus. Sometimes there isn't. Sometimes you can trade up/down your board for value. Sometimes you can't. Sometimes you draft for need. Sometimes you draft the best player available. And in amongst all these variables, you also have to factor in that you're building 9 different draft profiles per draft class because there are 9 different teams.

The 2015 draft class, although very early, seems to be a class where I personally would not specifically target an offensive lineman because the class appears deep with them. Beyond Danny Groulx, Sukh Chungh, Sean McEwen, Karl Lavoie and David Beard, it also appears to be a deep deep class of offensive lineman in the NCAA. Dillon Guy, Josiah St. John and Brett Boyko all have to factor in as they'll be NCAA seniors in 2014. It's so difficult to be sure on CIS eligibility but I'm fairly certain guys like Charles Vaillancourt, Winston Miles, Aaron Picton and Manitoba Bison Alex McKay are all draft eligible in 2015 as well.

Now consider that there are a lot of attractive skill position players out there for teams to look at - Nic Demski, Lemar Durant, Bobby Pospischil, Shaq Murray-Lawrence, Addison Richards as well as guys like Daniel English (maybe?) and Mehdi Abdesmad factoring into the draft ...

Of course, we have 10 months to sort out NFL interest, eligibility, who has a stock rise and drop, etc. But right now, the draft seems VERY deep and part of that is the rich OL talent.

Just because a draft is deep in OL, doesn't mean we should wait to pick one.  I'd rather go with the best available OL than one in the 2nd round or later.

We only have 3 starting level OL right now.  1 injury means we have to use 3rd Imp on the OL .  Hopefully Goosen will be starting level by the end of the year, but if we ever want to get to 4 or even 5 starting NI's, we need to keep drafting OL as high as possible.

Just because a draft is deep in OL, doesn't mean we should wait to pick one.  I'd rather go with the best available OL than one in the 2nd round or later.

We only have 3 starting level OL right now.  1 injury means we have to use 3rd Imp on the OL .  Hopefully Goosen will be starting level by the end of the year, but if we ever want to get to 4 or even 5 starting NI's, we need to keep drafting OL as high as possible.

IMO starting 4 or 5 Canadians on the OL is an outdated and overrated idea.  A Canadian starter is worth just as much no matter where they start.  It used to be feasible to cram all your Canadians on the OL, but defensive lines have greatly overtaken the offensive lines in recent years from a pure talent perspective.

IMO starting 4 or 5 Canadians on the OL is an outdated and overrated idea.  A Canadian starter is worth just as much no matter where they start.  It used to be feasible to cram all your Canadians on the OL, but defensive lines have greatly overtaken the offensive lines in recent years from a pure talent perspective.

I agree, with the way defensive lines are playing these days I see more teams moving towards using 1 or 2 americans on the offensive lines more and more just to try and protect qbs. Canadian receivers are as able as their american counterparts, canadian runningbacks are starting to show up more and more, even seeing some linebackers and dbs stepping up. The days of just throwing 5 of your 7 Canadian starters on the OL are quickly coming to an end.

I want the Bombers to draft Demski somehow, a slotback should be a need with Watson's part time play because of injuries.

Demski could be one of the best receivers available in the 2015 draft.

I think Canadian OL depth is more of a priority, at least in the first round.  

I agree with that. That's why I said somehow. Although look at what is Coombs doing right now. Given a little more time, he can be elite like Cornish and Harris.

I'm not sure if Demski could on the first round though, once all the prospects names are in including the NCAA's there a guys that could go ahead of him on the rankings. Of course, there are guys that could garner NFL interests though.

It's too early though since everything will change as the season goes on.

What exactly has Coombs done so far?  Had a couple good plays?  Way to early to say he's 'arrived' or is a stud.

@danralphcp:

Rookie Anthony Coombs will make his first CFL start Saturday for Toronto against the Calgary Stampeders.

just saying ;)