CBC's CFL Power Rankings Week 2

I hope the guy who wrote those doesn't live in Saskatchewan or he's going to come home to a driveway full of manure!

"We won't know until around Labour Day if this team is for real, but how great for the league's best fans is this?"

Eskimos at #1 are you kidding me?  They've beaten two total messes of teams right now in Hamilton and BC.  I'll give you this: both are better than they have played, but Hammy and BC have put up 2 absolute stinkers.  Not worthy of #1.

My power rankings (which count for absolutely nothing, but are based purely on strength of each team right now):

1) Calgary

2) Sask

3) Toronto

4) Winnipeg

5) Edmonton

6) Hamilton

7) BC

8) Ottawa

9) Montreal

Neutral field, no adverse effect of a short/long/bye week... I think Hamilton beats BC, Ottawa, and Montreal right now.  They SHOULD beat Winnipeg and Edmonton as well, but the way they're playing right now, I think WPG and EDM are better now. Keep in mind they haven't played a home game yet, and could be setup for failure this year the same way WPG was when we dealt with IGF's delays.

Anyone who ranks the Eskimos above Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and maybe Saskatchewan at this point doesn't know what they are watching.  Even if you are factoring in how teams finished 2013 it makes zero sense, and truly power rankings should not look back into a past season.  It should be, if team x played team y this week, who would I expect to win?  This is particularly true for teams who have not played each other yet.  I'd expect Calgary to beat anyone right now.  They are an easy number 1.

Edmonton snuck out two games where they played completely inept teams that literally handed them a bunch of points.  Their offence looks like garbage.  Winnipeg and Calgary have played relatively complete games, with Ottawa taking advantage of the Bombers in the first quarter.

Edmonton is 5, and that is generous IMO, cause it would basically be a pick em for me if they were playing Montreal, Ottawa or BC (easily beat them week 1 without 4 INT's).

I'd go:

Calgary

Winnipeg

Toronto

Saskatchewan

Edmonton

Montreal

BC

Ottawa

Hamilton

Hamilton can't get out of the basement until they demonstrate any kind of functional offense with any of their QB's, like even to get to Troy Smith level.

Eskimos at #1 are you kidding me?  

My power rankings (which count for absolutely nothing, but are based purely on strength of each team right now

Yeah, no way on the Eskimos @ #1

​And as far as our own personal rankings…seems to matter as much as the "Real" power rankings.

My own Week-to-Weak choices are:

Last Week   This Week

Sask. -         Calagry - by the bye

Calg. -          Winnipeg - pretty solid offence over 2 weeks and nice adjustments for the comeback win

Wpg. -          Edmonton - special performance by Willis, never quit attitude by Reilly, a little lucky on Ham. QBs' lack of making plays

Edm. -          Toronto - Ray, Owens, Durie, Coombs…'nough said

Ham. -          Saskatchewan - Durant was off enough to allow Toronto to make plays

B.C. -            Montreal - That defence was awesome and the offence did just enough to win

Tor. -            Ottawa - very spirited game, but did we see their best and they still lost?

Mon. -           BC - Something isn't jiving with the Kevin Glenn-led offence

Ott.  -            Hamilton - Well, they did have good performances from M Coe and Simoni Lawrence…..

1. Power Rankings are stupid (my opinion, likely a minority)

2. CFL.ca's are done by the staff. Kinda tells you what you need to know. That comment about Ottawa shocking the CFL by giving the Bombers a tough game is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on that website.

Was very much thinking of putting Calgary at #1, so don't accuse me of having blue coloured glasses, but I watched every game so far this season, and ignoring last year, Winnipeg has looked like the strongest team thus far. It's just hard to ignore the facts, I'm happy to say that two weeks in, we really do look that good (relative to everyone else).

1. Winnipeg - Completely dominated TO from start to finish in week one, a team that most of us agree is in the top half of the league (and destroyed another top half team), and the favourite to win the east, with special teams being the only blemish. Week two the offence and defence got off to a slow start, but was able to calmly come from behind against an OTT team that looks to be pretty solid with an all-star QB. And despite the flash of brilliance on the Demond Washington kick return TD, we still won by eight points, meaning that without the six from his TD (missed two-point convert), we're still up by two when the final bell rings. Drew Willy has looked substantially better than all of the other young QBs in his two starts, throwing only two bad passes (the two picks) in two games, and I would argue the first INT wasn't a bad pass, just a very athletic play by the defender.

2. Calgary - Beat a basement dweller in Montreal, and with the exception of a blown coverage fifty yard pitch and catch that turn to 100 yards after the run, neither team looked all that good in this game. BLM threw plenty of questionable passes, and if it wasn't for Troy Smith being totally inept and unable to get the ball within five yards of wide open receivers, this game isn't nearly the blow out that it was.

3. Toronto - While they were dominated by Winnipeg, they still put up decent offensive numbers, and their special teams came to play. They followed that game up with a statement trouncing of the defending champs to a lofty home town crowd of 17k. 

4. Saskatchewan - Beat up the terrible ti-cats, but did it in convincing fashion in weather conditions that most people wouldn't let their dog out in. I think that Sask wins that game no matter who they were playing that day, simply based on their ability to not be impacted by the terrible weather. Follow that up with a stinker worse than any of the week one blowouts in Toronto, but at least it was against a decent team.

5. Edmonton - Sure, they've won two games, but they barely won either of those games, and both were against the two basement dwellers of the league, and Hamilton still had the chance to win with their third QB and zeros on the clock.

6. Ottawa - The RedBlacks looked substantially better than any of the teams below them on this list, even in a loss. I believe that they would have beaten any of Montreal, BC, or Hamilton in this game.

7. Montreal - Only here because the next two teams are that much worse. Troy Smith is a lesser version of Michael Bishop, and I didn't know that was possible. This team won in spite of how bad their QB is.

8. BC / Hamilton - Very tough to position these two as they both were blown out one game, and narrowly lost to the same Edmonton team. On the one hand, Kevin Glenn basically gave Edmonton their win, but then, Hamilton kind of did the same thing, even missing a chance to steal it back on the last play of the game. On the other hand, for as bad as Glenn is looking, QB carousels just don't work (as we very clearly proved here over the last two years), and Hamilton looks like they're well on their way to having one. Both of their O-lines look atrocious, so that's a wash. Add to that the challenge of Hamilton now being homeless, and I give the slightest of slight edges to BC – but really, this one is a draw.

Well, being in Edmonton, and being at the game on Friday (where the first 50 minutes were entirely a waste of my life), and watching the bombers on TV for the first two weeks, I can say, unequivocally, as an expert in all things CFL (not really, but in my mind I am), there is no way that Edmonton is better than Wpg.

Mike Reilly is struggling

Thompson (or whatever his name is) at RB is totally useless

Adarius Bowman (someone wanna fill me in why I chose him as one of my receivers for week 2??) is going back to the form he had in Wpg and Sk

Oline still not very good (better than last year but not good)

Kicking game is suspect

If I compare to Wpg - just look above and do the opposite (Willy has been great, Grisby outstanding, receivers catching everything they can.... I'll give you the Oline as a wash).

Both Defense's are about the same.

And they have Wpg '3' and Edmonton '1'.  

I'd say: 

1. Calgary

2. Winnipeg

3. Toronto

4. Saskatchewan

5. Edmonton

6. Ottawa

7. Montreal 

8. Hamilton

9. B.C.

Calgary looks like they wont have Cornish for awhile & Mo Price has a broken hand out 6-8 weeks so drop them down two notches even before the game is played. Big loss if Cornish out for any length of time. Losing their deep threat is a big setback as well.

You can tell last year and reputation/expectation is still very much a consideration in the power rankings.... they should start to be more accurate after 4-5 weeks....

kinda scary how similar Hamilton's 2013 end/2014 beginning of the season is to Winnipeg 2011 end/2012 beginning... right down to the stadium delays! 

Calgary looks like they wont have Cornish for awhile & Mo Price has a broken hand out 6-8 weeks so drop them down two notches even before the game is played. Big loss if Cornish out for any length of time. Losing their deep threat is a big setback as well.

Those are both big losses for the stamps. Guess we'll see what the depth can do for them.

You can tell last year and reputation/expectation is still very much a consideration in the power rankings.... they should start to be more accurate after 4-5 weeks....

kinda scary how similar Hamilton's 2013 end/2014 beginning of the season is to Winnipeg 2011 end/2012 beginning... right down to the stadium delays!

Yeah I was thinking that too. Hamilton looks like they are sinking into the abyss, and all they have to do is follow the script from 2012-2013 for us. I just don't get how both Winnipeg and Hamilton could have botched their opening day predictions so badly.