How Did The Bombers Build This Team?

Atomic

I was inspired to create this thread after reading the Rider version started by danno over at Riderfans:

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?117295-How-did-the-Riders-build-this-team

Contrast the two approaches and draw your own conclusions...

Non-Import Draft: 12 players (round drafted in parentheses) - Anthony Woodson (4), Carl Volny (5), Kito Poblah (1), Jade Etienne (1), Paul Swiston (4), Chris Greaves (6), Henoc Muamba (1), Pierre-Luc Labbe (6), Jake Thomas (4), Cory Watson (2), Rene Stephan (4), Carl Fitzgerald (3)

Non-Import Local Juniors: 1 player - Brett Carter

Non-Import Undrafted Signings: 3 players - Michel-Pierre Pontbriand, Teague Sherman, Dan West

Non-Import Free Agent or Waiver Signings: 11 players - Rory Kohlert, Chris Kowalczuk, Justin Sorensen, Steve Morley, Cauchy Muamba, James Green, Ryan Lucas, Justin Palardy, Chris Cvetkovic, Philippe Dubuisson-Lebon, Mathieu Boulay 

Non-Import Trades: 1 player - Mike Renaud

Import Recruits: 30 players - Justin Goltz, Max Hall, Will Ford, Chad Simpson, Clarence Denmark, Doug Pierce, Aaron Woods, Isaac Anderson, Marty Markett, Demond Washington, Wesley Pendleton, Alex Suber, Ian Wild, Freddie Harris, Alex Hall, Bryant Turner, Zach Anderson, Marquis Frazier, Chris Garrett, Chris Matthews, Andre Douglas, Desia Dunn, Jeremy McGee, Johnny Sears, JT Gilmore, Terrell Parker, Wallace Miles, Aderious Simmons, David James, Dexter Davis

Import Free Agent or Waiver Signings: 7 players - Buck Pierce, Terrence Edwards, Shannon Boatman, Glenn January, Brandon Stewart, Jovon Johnson, Kenny Mainor

Import Trades: 0 players.

Note: Some of the players listed as free agent signings may have never played a game with another team, but spent time with another team in practice or training camp (Kohlert, Mainor, Kowalczuk, Dubuisson-Lebon, Boulay).

The first thing that jumps out at me is the investment in "blue chip" offensive lineman. They have 4 first round picks on their offensive line. Whereas our offensive line is comprised of millends / cast offs from around the league. This team hasn't made building a strong offensive line a priority and it shows through the constant struggles we have on that side of the ball (regardless of coach / oc).

Just my first impression.

One big difference seems to be in the quality of non-import free agent signings.  The quantity is roughly the same but the best of ours are Palardy, Cvetkovic, Kohlert, Sorensen, and C. Muamba.  Compare that with the best of the Riders' free agent signings - Labatte, Picard, Foley, Woldu, Huclack.  The difference is huge.

I just said that it's hard to build a great offensive line when one of our best players that we drafted left & went to the Riders as he was from the Province of Saskatchewan. He signed with the Riders a season & a half ago & we still haven't replaced him. He's not listed on the Bombers but listed on the Riders.

I just said that it's hard to build a great offensive line when one of our best players that we drafted left & went to the Riders as he was from the Province of Saskatchewan. He signed with the Riders a season & a half ago & we still haven't replaced him. He's not listed on the Bombers but listed on the Riders.

:)

People don't realize the 2 reasons LaBatte left. Primarily geography.....retired o line from Regina are kings there. 2 LaPolice wanted to move him to centre and he wanted no part of that.

Many people realize the second reason is BS since he didn't say anything to Lapo about not wanting to play centre. As well, Penton asked Labatte if the Bombers had said he would play guard would he have re-signed and he basically said it wouldn't have made a difference. The Bombers were trying to re-sign him for a year and a half which means before they tried him to centre the first time. 

He didn't want to play centre......that was secondary to his smart decision to play in Sask from a personal and business standpoint. He also had said he wanted to stay in Winnipeg.....purely the standard line. What player would say otherwise?

Smart business decision? I understand you are a Hamilton fan. Is that true because I'd like to ask... what player  in his right mind wants to play for a Mickey Mouse organization that can't sell out a 13,000 seat temporary  seat stadium & is homeless because the owner is an idiot? Just ask Chris Williams. He couldn't get out fast enough.

Smart business decision? I understand you are a Hamilton fan. Is that true because I'd like to ask... what player  in his right mind wants to play for a Mickey Mouse organization that can't sell out a 13,000 seat temporary stadium & is homeless because the owner is an idiot? Just ask Chris Williams. He couldn't get out fast enough. The Bombers may be no screaming hell right now but I tell ya, we have a great new facility going for us that will draw in free agents with nearly 34,000 seats. What's Hamilton building? Never Win Stadium part 2 with 22,000 seats??? It looks just like the stadium we're tearing down. Pardon me while I laugh.