Thoughts on Week 1

Just gonna say that a short training camp & exhibition season gave us some really bad games this past weekend. The Argos, Als  & Ticats looked totally unprepared for their games. Not good trying to sell the games to the casual fans watching on TSN. .

Just gonna say that a short training camp & exhibition season gave us some really bad games this past weekend. The Argos, Als & Ticats looked totally unprepared for their games. Not good trying to sell the games to the casual fans watching on TSN. .

I agree there were some sloppy games this past weekend. But don't all teams get the same amount of time to prepare? Why did some teams look prepared and others not so much? Says more about the coaching staffs than the league in general.

It was typical CFL football for me. It's what I say all the time about it - I still love the game though. Don't forget, the NFL has what, a 2 month training camp. They bring in the wanna be's about two weeks before the regulars and work them out hard - then decide who's good enough to go to the main camp, they they have another two weeks of camp I think before their first pre-season game, then they play four (five if you're in the hall of fame game) so by game one the team is pretty much in mid-season form. But, when your league makes BILLIONS of dollars, you can do that. 

I'd like to see the CFL in a middle ground. I've always wanted THREE preseason games, with one extra week of TC - that extra game should be held in a non-traditional market. For instance, next year the Eskimos will be playing a pre-season game in a newly built stadium in Fort McMurray. To me, this is a great idea, and should be explored for everyone

WPG could play in Brandon, Sask could play one in Saskatoon B.C one in the interior, etc. Switch it out every year in terms of what side of the country it's played in, then maybe for week one of the season we'd see some decent football

Winnipeg and Saskatchewan were the two best teams, Edmonton and Calgary were ok, B.C. wasn't bad, the rest stunk. 

The weather definitely played a role in calgary and sask though. Not sure why it didn't really hurt the home teams but it sure did the road teams, perhaps someone in calgary and regina could tell us if the weather was like that for the entire week? I didn't think the games were that bad, just thought a couple teams (montreal and hamilton) sucked. 

I think when they mentioned Saskatchewan's reign as CFL Champs, what we saw on Sunday, was not what they meant. 

Basically a write-off for a game, although one team was able to cope and the other? well that was Hamilton.

Anthony Allen wrenched that game away from Hamilton with the help of the O-Line boys and that swarming defence 10 sacks!

What a jump in the lead in the sack race!

Gotta love that post game question to Austin :

What's your mood after this game?………..Followed by a stunned expression by Austin then "What's my mood?" a slight chuckle, a look of exasperation, then "What's the next question?" grimace.

Best game? Easy - Bombers vs Toronto….by the Bombers, an all around good effort (save for the STs)

Biggest surprise? same game

Poorest performance? Montreal

QB opposites - Drew Willy to Troy Smith

Most ignorant on field play - Hiebert's hit on Cornish

Most ignorant off field play - Kory Banks

Noticed players - Drew Willy/ Aaron Kelly/ Nic Grigsby/ Kuale/ Vega/ Leggett/Adarious Bowman(drat)/ Mike Reilly(Buono's non-choice) /Joe Burnett/ Grymes/Kevin Glenn(wrong reasons)/Allen****Knapp

BTW, Mike Reilly got credit for one tackle…..as many as the invisible Marcus Howard.

And the award for best throwing over the weekend? To the Refs - for the flags

17-148 Ham 11-97 Sask

22-163 Tor 7-72 Wpg

12-120 Mont  12-129 Calg

13-93 Edm  7-40 BC              Total  101 − 862 avg. 25 penalties for 4 games ……Yikes.

Hey guys, dont think this deserves its own thread, so I'll put it here.... 

Was Zach Anderson told to bulk up for NT? or i the website just wrong? it's listing him at 295....

If he is that big, thats like 17-18 pounds in one off season. Theres no way thats all Muscle.

I bet its slowed him down a little... I bet he's running like a 4.8 now!!! LOL

BTW, great read JBR, always enjoy your stuff

Hey guys, dont think this deserves its own thread, so I'll put it here....

Was Zach Anderson told to bulk up for NT? or i the website just wrong? it's listing him at 295....

If he is that big, thats like 17-18 pounds in one off season. Theres no way thats all Muscle.

I bet its slowed him down a little... I bet he's running like a 4.8 now!!! LOL

BTW, great read JBR, always enjoy your stuff

I saw some pictures of him working out this season. Wouldn't surprise me if most of that extra weight is muscle.