Practice Reports

Harbaugh

Nobody has outplayed Aaron Kelly at the wideout position yet.

Some people are saying that is a failure on recruiting…what if it's success by Kelly?

The Bombers last successful days, Jamie Stoddard was a mainstay at 5th WR.  A sticky hands guy without much flash that just caught whatever was thrown to him as a 5th receiver.  Why not Kelly?

Kelly is not that type of receiver at all, and he's an import.  A WR who doesn't do anything on routes coming into the field just isn't of much value and will limit the offence, unless he was an all-world deep threat, which he isn't despite that being his strength.  Kelly is more like a Chad Plummer, if you want a comparable from that era.  

I don't see the comparison to Chad Plummer at all. Plummer was as useless as they come. Kelly (despite his bad drop on a short curl last week) will catch the ball more often than not, is effective running deep crossers as well as the fly patterns and creating mismatches in the endzone. He fills a nice role on this team as a fourth or fifth look for the QB.

I'm not sure how or why Kelly became the poster boy for bad receivers. He's not a great player, and I wouldn't want him as an every week starter but as an injury replacement he's fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head...  sure looking like Kelly will be our Chris Matthews replacement.

I'm not sure how or why Kelly became the poster boy for bad receivers. He's not a great player, and I wouldn't want him as an every week starter but as an injury replacement he's fine.

Not a bad receiver, just not a very good one and that's why I don't want him being a starter. I'd rather start Feoli Gudino.

Before we get carried away arguing about Kelly, where are the other guys lining up?  Watson and Denmark are in the slot.  Is Moore in the slot or is he the boundary WR?  Where is Kohlert lining up?

Kelly is a complementary piece, not something we're building around.  I have him ahead of Urrutia and am assuming they are competing for the field WR spot.  I am not moving any of those other 4 guys around to fit in Kelly.

Makes catches, scores TDs, yeah, I can see the angst.

Name
Yearsort.png
Team No. Yards Avg Long TD KELLY, A 2011 HAM 27 383 14.2 34 2 KELLY, A 2012 HAM 11 107 9.7 30 1 KELLY, A 2013 WPG 22 321 14.6 45 0 Career Total 60 811 13.5 45 3

those numbers don't seem to indicate to me that he makes a lot of catches or scores a lot of TDs..

Really is a receiver who has a career best year of under 400 yards and 2 TDs the best we can do? 

Name
Yearsort.png
Team No. Yards Avg Long TD KELLY, A 2011 HAM 27 383 14.2 34 2 KELLY, A 2012 HAM 11 107 9.7 30 1 KELLY, A 2013 WPG 22 321 14.6 45 0 Career Total 60 811 13.5 45 3

those numbers don't seem to indicate to me that he makes a lot of catches or scores a lot of TDs..

Really is a receiver who has a career best year of under 400 yards and 2 TDs the best we can do? 

as a 4th or 5th option? why not? 

Name
Yearsort.png

Ah, those numbers neither impress me, nor scare me.

They were with a different team at another time.

It's what he does for us that I care about.

It's about expectations I guess.

If our receivers can function as a unit and can work with our QB, then I expect success. In that success, I don't care who finishes 1st, 2nd etc. as long as it means team success.

I know you want that too.

Kelly has had training camp success and if he wins a spot, so be it.

What I've seen of Walters and O'Shea thus far is that they will not settle for mediocrity, so if we find someone better, I'm all for it.

Maybe it's Kemp, maybe it's Reed, but I'm willing to wait.

In the meantime it's Kelly ho!

Name
Yearsort.png

I'm not saying I want Kelly as our 5th receiver long-term.  Just that he's the type of sticky-handed receiver that could be successful as a 2-3 ball/week guy making clutch catches.  You can't have 5 1000 yd guys anyways. 

If you decide to keep a guy like Urrutia or another guy on the PR that's got the tools, but isn't yet ready for game action... we could do worse for a placeholder.