Main Camp Day 3 (Reports and Discussion)

Kelly is a good player, Mike just has a hate on for the guy for no real reason.

Any reports from Riderville on how Jade Etienne is doing.

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's what you hope for out of an import receiver. A new scouting staff should be able to produce better than that.

And from the reports in which we can take with a grain of salt it appears Kelly is excelling over most of the new guys.

Should we be pleased that Kelly is stepping up or do we look at this as a red flag at our recruiting ability?

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's what you hope for out of an import receiver. A new scouting staff should be able to produce better than that.

And from the reports in which we can take with a grain of salt it appears Kelly is excelling over most of the new guys.

Should we be pleased that Kelly is stepping up or do we look at this as a red flag at our recruiting ability?

I was one of the Kelly believers when he had his first game in WPG last year.  Looked to be a great reciever.  Then after a few games you could see it was just a few long runs mixed in with a bunch of short ones.  But to be fair he did come in mid season and had to learn half a Crowton offense and half a Marcel Offence.  

If he is having a good camp and can learn the playbook now maybe he will be a good receiver or at least a good backup until someone steps up.  

Could be any number of things. Maybe he got better. Maybe he's not actually doing as well as fans think. It'll take us game action to know for sure.

We look at it like a veteran has an early advantage on rookies, TBD if that holds over the entire course of training camp. 

Not surprised at all Kelly is showing well. He gets an undeserved bad rap around here but all he does is do what's asked of him.

While i do agree to an extent, i dont see him as a moore or stegall (and thats fine) and he isnt expected to be at this point.. Im thinking hes supposed to be a 3rd 4th option and will be very good in that role.. also, his knowledge of marcel's offense is huge when you factor in the inexperience of our QBs..

Not every rec needs to be a simon, bruce or milt..

And he's a good fourth option to have. His size gives you matchup problems in the red zone and he's good to deliver a strike to running a slant or when you need a guy to break off his route at the first down marker. It's not like he has a massive case of the dropsies like many in this league have. Yes he's a slow runner but that's fine as long as you catch the ball which he does. I find most people who say they don't like him simply leave it at that and don't go into detail about what they don't like (perhaps mostly because there isn't a laundry list of things he does wrong). We could certainly do much, much worse.

3 TD's in 24 games.  Take out his 3 biggest plays last year, and he's averaging 20 yards receiving a game.  That's while playing a lot of boundary WR, one of the primary targets of a CFL offence.  He's doing something wrong, because he was completely unproductive aside from 3 long balls down the sideline in half a season, like worse than Jade.

Everyone was unproductive last year.

If he's having a good camp he deserves credit for having a good camp.

He seems best suited on the wide side which we've reserved for NIs in recent years.  At least he can do more than a Hargreaves decoy run. Or the Poblah dive for the ball and get hurt.  Lining up anywhere else on the field his value is probably lower than players we already have.  Highlight reel yet not particularly amazing is an odd combo.  Chris Brazzell 2.0?

What does suited for the wide-side mean?  A guy you don't want to throw the ball to?

He does his best work along the sidelines and his biggest strength is out-muscling receivers for jump balls.  He's not great in traffic.  He's not a slick route runner.  He does a decent job of hauling in the stuff that gets thrown in his area.  He has enough speed to get 30 yards downfield as opposed to Hargreaves who had enough speed to get to the first down marker.