Ted Laurent expected to sign with Ticats

Well, I just don't think the CFL is as poor as it claims to be. High profile player signings a few days after talks broke off don't endear me to the owners side of the table. I'm not ticked at the Ti Cats per se as they're continuing to do business. I'm ticked at the league for this whole mess going on. And I'm not impressed with the players either. At times, Scott Flory looks like a clown act. 

I'm going out on a limb here ... if Evan Gill plays in the CFL, it will be in Winnipeg.

I can see us trading a 2016 second rounder for him this time next year.

You can have him. Total douchebag move he made on HAM.

If they didn't know he was leaning heavily towards finishing up with the Bisons and trying the NFL, they were the only ones.

So why did he "clarify" his position by saying the quad injury and NFL stuff wasnt true and expect me to be at camp and ready to play ? Then flip flopped again ?

Wow, big signing. How is Hamilton managing their cap with signing Butler, Laurent, Collaros, Lawrence etc and having guys like Fantuz on board?

I wouldn't include Collaros in that group - he's making less than what Burris did last season so they saved money signing him.

Has anyone heard what Laurent and Lawrence signed for?  

I'm going out on a limb here ... if Evan Gill plays in the CFL, it will be in Winnipeg.

If they didn't know he was leaning heavily towards finishing up with the Bisons and trying the NFL, they were the only ones.

So why did he "clarify" his position by saying the quad injury and NFL stuff wasnt true and expect me to be at camp and ready to play ? Then flip flopped again ?

Here's a quote from Gill, "clarifying"

“I feel I’m ready to continue with the CFL as of right now. I’m still waiting to hear back what the results with this quad injury. If it was something more serious, which I don’t expect, that takes me into summer with rehab, then maybe then I would strongly consider going back to school. But I don’t expect that to be the case.”

It's been well known the last couple seasons that Gill was getting looked at by NFL teams and obviously as any football player would, he wants to pursue the NFL.  Everyone says they'd be happy in the CFL, hell Duvernay-Tardif gave interviews saying he'd be fine playing in the CFL, but when the NFL calls they all head south.

Here's a quote from Gill, "clarifying"

“I feel I’m ready to continue with the CFL as of right now. I’m still waiting to hear back what the results with this quad injury. If it was something more serious, which I don’t expect, that takes me into summer with rehab, then maybe then I would strongly consider going back to school. But I don’t expect that to be the case.”

It's been well known the last couple seasons that Gill was getting looked at by NFL teams and obviously as any football player would, he wants to pursue the NFL.  Everyone says they'd be happy in the CFL, hell Duvernay-Tardif gave interviews saying he'd be fine playing in the CFL, but when the NFL calls they all head south.

NFL aspirations dont make him a jerk. Saying to media he had a quad problem. Then saying it was wrong and blown out of porportion and expect me to be at camp then bailing and retreating under injury excuse , however, does.

Riddle me this Batman.  If there was a Laurent auction going on why weren't the Bombers in on the bidding?  Or are there other reasons he chose Hamilton over every other team in the league interested in his services?

How didnt MTL get him ? Guy was born there for bleep's sake.

Riddle me this Batman. If there was a Laurent auction going on why weren't the Bombers in on the bidding? Or are there other reasons he chose Hamilton over every other team in the league interested in his services?

I get the sense Kent Austin is a very persuasive recruiter. Players want to play for him. I doubt the Ticats are overpaying these guys...they're all signing for market value.

Well, one reason to sign in hamilton over montreal is hamilton is a legit contender, montreal? not so much. 

I don't see the issue with hamilton signing the guy, every team has the same salary cap so no big deal really.

Hamilton decided to go with a younger cheaper qb, their backups arent being paid much either... They traded shomari williams and his large contract...

I mean really... Henry + Shomari = enough money to sign probably both butler and laurent and even collaros. 

Wow, big signing. How is Hamilton managing their cap with signing Butler, Laurent, Collaros, Lawrence etc and having guys like Fantuz on board?

I wouldn't include Collaros in that group - he's making less than what Burris did last season so they saved money signing him.

Has anyone heard what Laurent and Lawrence signed for?  

Gill  is a kid & has an agent talking into his ear. Look at what a **** Plesius was after he was drafted. 

Bob Young has claimed to lose $$$ every year that he has owned the team.

Bob Young spends like a druken sailor on shore leave every year.

I don't like this.

You'd hate it even more with a non competitive team in S. Ontario with shrinking attendence and shrinking S. Ontario TV ratings.

Keep in mind, when Butler signed with hamilton, it was reported that the bombers offered him more money so not all these guys are signing for the most money they can get, some just want the chance to win, austin is a winner, won the grey cup and took his team the first year to the grey cup... that matters. Reputation is huge in this league, players now that if you have austin as a coach, you have a chance to win. That matters more to some players. Not all of them care about making the most money possible.

This really surprised me, I assumed he was either Montreal bound or staying in Edmonton, but Hamilton being a team on the rise, connection to Tillman etc, it makes sense.

Although I have to agree with a few posters here, the league is crying poor on behalf of Bob Young..................... well if you didn't spend stupid money and built a stadium in a better location, maybe you wouldn't be losing money. In Bob Young's defense, he's actually never publicly complained about anything, that's on the league.

Bob Young has claimed to lose $$$ every year that he has owned the team.

Bob Young spends like a druken sailor on shore leave every year.

I don't like this.

You'd hate it even more with a non competitive team in S. Ontario with shrinking attendence and shrinking S. Ontario TV ratings.

Sure, that justifies everything. You're sounding like a Rider fan.

This really surprised me, I assumed he was either Montreal bound or staying in Edmonton, but Hamilton being a team on the rise, connection to Tillman etc, it makes sense.

Although I have to agree with a few posters here, the league is crying poor on behalf of Bob Young..................... well if you didn't spend stupid money and built a stadium in a better location, maybe you wouldn't be losing money. In Bob Young's defense, he's actually never publicly complained about anything, that's on the league.

The salary cap will be the same for every team, unless hamilton is massively over the cap... why does it matter? They went with a young qb, probably part of the reason they decided to let burris go is because they knew the money they were paying him could be used to upgrade their piss poor defence. Collaros probably getting 200,000 less than what burris got, or so atleast. That right there plus the trade of shomari williams and some of the other moves they made, they have a rb on a rookie deal really, a couple receivers on a rookie deal too. I dont see a problem with this, not sure why anyone would make this in to a cba thing when its not, it's a salary cap thing. It is what it is. All teams will have the same cap.

Well, one reason to sign in hamilton over montreal is hamilton is a legit contender, montreal? not so much. 

I don't see the issue with hamilton signing the guy, every team has the same salary cap so no big deal really.

Hamilton decided to go with a younger cheaper qb, their backups arent being paid much either... They traded shomari williams and his large contract...

I mean really... Henry + Shomari = enough money to sign probably both butler and laurent and even collaros. 

All true enough but the Bombers should have had even more cap space to outbid the Ticats if Laurent was a priority.  Could be that there were plenty of bids and Laurent just won the Henry Burris lottery.  The CFL would be a much more interesting venture to follow if all it's dealings were not clothed in secrecy.

All true enough but the Bombers should have had even more cap space to outbid the Ticats if Laurent was a priority.  Could be that there were plenty of bids and Laurent just won the Henry Burris lottery.  The CFL would be a much more interesting venture to follow if all it's dealings were not clothed in secrecy.

or maybe laurent just wanted to play closer to home and since hamilton is a contender and montreal is not, there you go. That matters too. The bombers signing laurent was nothing more than a few posters pipe dream, it was never going to happen. Sure, it would be nice if he signed here but sometimes reality i think needs to kick in and we need to realize, why the heck would he sign here? we sucked, we are rebuilding in a way, hamilton is a top team in the east(arguably they are the top team in the east) maybe the bombers did make him an offer and maybe it was a pretty huge offer but maybe like butler, he took less to play for a team that has a chance to win.

Just want to add, in a few years maybe we are the team signing all these guys, i guess when you have good scouting and you can bring in guys like gable and who's that receiver they got? ellingson? that's not it but it's close amongst other guys they brought in last season, you can afford to sign guys like laurent butler fantuz etc. It's all about having a good scouting department so you can replace higher paid maybe past their prime players and replace them with future stars like gable and ellingson and etc. Hopefully if all goes to plan, we are that team in a year or 2 signing these "big name" players. Hamilton will have quite a bit of 2nd year players on that team, they don't cost as much as some of the vets they had in the past. That savings right there is more than enough, it's all about salary management and hamilton seems to trust their scouting department to be able to bring in rookies who play for cheap and can use the savings to sign guys like butler laurent etc.

You really think Collaros is making $200,000 less than Burris did last year?

Oh, I get it from the player for a respected coach angle, the up and coming team angle, the closer to home angle.

I'm just sick on teams in S. Ontario getting bail out $$ and crying poor and then doing this.

If those bastards want to do that, then cut teams in the West like Winnipeg a check first for all the $$$ we've sent your way over the years.

You really think Collaros is making $200,000 less than Burris did last year?

Oh, I get it from the player for a respected coach angle, the up and coming team angle, the closer to home angle.

I'm just sick on teams in S. Ontario getting bail out $$ and crying poor and then doing this.

If those bastards want to do that, then cut teams in the West like Winnipeg a check first for all the $$$ we've sent your way over the years.

no but hamilton has a ton of 2nd year players now, they have 3 qb's probably making as much as one did last season (not quite but i bet the difference isnt that much) sent shomari and his 120,000 ++ salary packing. When you look at their roster, it's a who's who of who is that... we may be familliar with some of those names now but last year at this time,we were not. 

those 2nd year players on their team, i'd say about half their roster didn't get raises this off season.