Prediction: Who Will Be Our Leading Receiver?

Atomic

Who will be our leading receiver this season?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our leading receiver this season?

• Chris Matthews
    • Clarence Denmark
    • Cory Watson
    • Terrence Edwards
    • Rory Kohlert
    • Jade Etienne
    • Other

One less yard than Matthews...all I've heard all season is how Matthews has done sweet f all. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. He has four catches in three games, despite our horrible Quarterback play, that is still an issue.

well consider this though... only one receiver on the bombers has double digits in catches, that's Watson. Etienne and Matthews have 6 a piece. Denmark and Kohlert have 4, Edwards has 6 and anderson has 3. 

here's some other numbers... that's 43 for slotbacks, 10 for wide receivers and for comparison, 9 for runningbacks. Seems to me that Denmark not having a lot of catches is as much a case of the offense very heavily favouring the SBs over all other options.

well consider this though... only one receiver on the bombers has double digits in catches, that's Watson. Etienne and Matthews have 6 a piece. Denmark and Kohlert have 4, Edwards has 6 and anderson has 3. 

here's some other numbers... that's 43 for slotbacks, 10 for wide receivers and for comparison, 9 for runningbacks. Seems to me that Denmark not having a lot of catches is as much a case of the offense very heavily favouring the SBs over all other options.

Burke must agree with my opinion since Denmark is sitting in favor of Pierce this week.

Burke must agree with my opinion since Denmark is sitting in favor of Pierce this week.

but will it matter if we still keep throwing a disproportionate amount of passes to the SBs? The WRs are not a big enough part of the offense to worry about who is in there. Gotta fix the qb position before the receivers matter.

Or maybe historically, Buck Pierce has difficulty getting balls to the WR. Last year, Matthews' stats with Brink and Elliott were far better than they were with Buck and it has trended even more towards the SBs as years has gone on. It's not just one game. Denmark isn't a world-beater. we all know it, but he and Matthews aren't so bad that they would each get less than 80 yards in three games with even average QB play.

Or maybe historically, Buck Pierce has difficulty getting balls to the WR. Last year, Matthews' stats with Brink and Elliott were far better than they were with Buck and it has trended even more towards the SBs as years has gone on. It's not just one game. Denmark isn't a world-beater. we all know it, but he and Matthews aren't so bad that they would each get less than 80 yards in three games with even average QB play.

this

Was thinking about this last night. Was thinking about what the best offenses had in common other than QB and it was there top receiver was a in the slot. Look around the league now. MTL has Green and Richardson, Toronto has Owens, Hamilton has Fantuz, Riders have Dressler, Stamps have Lewis. While Matthews is a great receiver he will not be responsible for turning this receiving core around. Either Watson has to step up into that elite spot or they are going to have to find a game breaker to play in the slot.

how many catches has Matthew's put on the turf in the last few games? how do you defend a receiver when the head coach says he didn't beat man coverage once in a single game? I think the assertion that he can't beat man coverage suggests it doesn't matter who the qb is.

how many catches has Matthew's put on the turf in the last few games? how do you defend a receiver when the head coach says he didn't beat man coverage once in a single game? I think the assertion that he can't beat man coverage suggests it doesn't matter who the qb is.

well not all that many. I can't think of any real automatic catches that Matthews dropped. Some contested ones sure, but not every one of those will be caught either. There were just as many throws to Matthews that were no where near him. 

As for Denmark, one bad game really. He was getting open against Montreal. To me this is just a knee jerk reaction which ignores the biggest problem with the offense. Yeah I like Pierce going in too, he's got great hands and a big frame, but unless Buck Pierce is going to pick up his game in a big way it's not going to matter. 

Was thinking about this last night. Was thinking about what the best offenses had in common other than QB and it was there top receiver was a in the slot. Look around the league now. MTL has Green and Richardson, Toronto has Owens, Hamilton has Fantuz, Riders have Dressler, Stamps have Lewis. While Matthews is a great receiver he will not be responsible for turning this receiving core around. Either Watson has to step up into that elite spot or they are going to have to find a game breaker to play in the slot.

Usually you put your best guy in the slot because it does see the most passes and it's easier throws a lot of the times. A guy like Matthews though I think can be a difference maker at WR, but he could probably succeed inside as well. But really this all comes down to the offense having trouble because our qb either isn't getting the ball off in time or he's flat out missing targets too often. 

Maybe one clear drop and one more bad throw that was still somewhat catchable but was also tipped. He's not playing very well right now but to say that he's putting multiple catches on the ground is just wrong. On the other hand, how many throws has Buck airmailed in the last three games? I'll pause while you come up with that number.

all of you were throwing a pissy pants fit about buck pierce before the season even started so I'm not surprised you aren't being objective. the coach comes out and says a wr can't beat man coverage and you defend him. it's getting ridiculous.

all of you were throwing a pissy pants fit about buck pierce before the season even started so I'm not surprised you aren't being objective. the coach comes out and says a wr can't beat man coverage and you defend him. it's getting ridiculous.

yeah well from the looks of things all of us were right about Pierce... so maybe you should start listening to us now? If Pierce wasn't missing so many throws of even failing to get passes off I'd believe what Burke was saying but the eyes don't lie, PIerce has played like complete and utter crap for all but a handful of drives this season. Open your eyes and you might see what everyone else is seeing. Bear in mind that Burke also mentioned how PIerce had been missing throws and missing reads as well so stop using selective things that Burke said as if it proves anything.

You keep implying Burke was talking about Matthews.

Why?

You keep implying Burke was talking about Matthews.

Why?

i'm not implying that at all my point is that Matthews has seen bad throws and also catchable balls and hasn't come down with most of the catchable balls like he did last year. We need more from pierce but we need more from Matthews too.

My second point is that Denmark clearly played pretty shitty if the coach says he didn't once beat man coverage. Hard to compare a QB to a WR as apples to apples but to suggest we got worse play from the QB than we did from a WR that didn't beat his coverage once is laughable.

i'm not implying that at all my point is that Matthews has seen bad throws and also catchable balls and hasn't come down with most of the catchable balls like he did last year. We need more from pierce but we need more from Matthews too.

My second point is that Denmark clearly played pretty shitty if the coach says he didn't once beat man coverage. Hard to compare a QB to a WR as apples to apples but to suggest we got worse play from the QB than we did from a WR that didn't beat his coverage once is laughable.

It's not a comparison.

Buck sucks. He has for a long time.

Denmark failed to beat coverage in the span of one game. Buck has been unimpressive since the 2011 Banjo Bowl.

In fact, here are Buck's statistics since the 2011 Banjo Bowl (which actually equates to 17 appearances, 1 shy of a full season)

230/381 (60.1%) for 2987 yards, 9 TD, 19 INT, 4 fumbles lost.

Awful in every sense.

In fact, here are Buck's statistics since the 2011 Banjo Bowl (which actually equates to 17 appearances, 1 shy of a full season)

230/381 (60.1%) for 2987 yards, 9 TD, 19 INT, 4 fumbles lost.

Awful in every sense.

You might even call him a 'turnover machine' based on those numbers. I don't fault Buck for every one of those INT's over that span of time, but then there are some really really bad ones in there, too.