Garth Buchko back to CJOB?

gbill2004

Any time there was bad news Bell got marched up to the front lens to be the face and the fall guy. Don't shoot the messenger .

As was Garth Buchko.

Buchko essentially became the face of everything that was wrong with the Bombers and IMO that was unfair.

The Bombers, Province and City needed their scapegoat and that's where he came in handy.

I disagree with this. Garth was never front and centre unless it was a good news story

No ?

So Garth Buchko having to deal with the Water situation was a good news story ?

Or better yet the first 2 delay announcements by him were good news stories ?

Lapo being fired a good news story ?

Should I go on ?

Say whatever you want.  Garth was a terrible hire, a terrible CEO and ran for the hills when the heat got to be too much.  Zero respect for him as an executive.  Was told recently by someone who worked for him in radio "he's a great sales man but a lot of people couldnt stand working for him, especially on-air talent.  ****."

Any time there was bad news Bell got marched up to the front lens to be the face and the fall guy. Don't shoot the messenger .

As was Garth Buchko.

Buchko essentially became the face of everything that was wrong with the Bombers and IMO that was unfair.

The Bombers, Province and City needed their scapegoat and that's where he came in handy.

I disagree with this. Garth was never front and centre unless it was a good news story

No ?

So Garth Buchko having to deal with the Water situation was a good news story ?

Or better yet the first 2 delay announcements by him were good news stories ?

Lapo being fired a good news story ?

Should I go on ?

Say whatever you want.  Garth was a terrible hire, a terrible CEO and ran for the hills when the heat got to be too much.  Zero respect for him as an executive.  Was told recently by someone who worked for him in radio "he's a great sales man but a lot of people couldnt stand working for him, especially on-air talent.  ****."

Here are a few direct quotes from well known Winnipeggers who have worked with/for Buchko:

...Peter Ginakes, who owns and operates the Pony Corral restaurants that started advertising with CJOB when Buchko was there.

"He's a good guy," Ginakes said. "Like solid. He was a pro at his job, great to work with. If you had a problem, he would deal with it. And he would reach out to his customers."

Similarly, Larry Updike, who worked for Buchko for nearly a decade as the CJOB morning man, has only praise for him as a boss.

"First-rate" said Updike. "He knows his craft very well and he tried to create a really positive working atmosphere in the station."

From this WFP article. Larry Updike (an on-air talent) could have easily declined to comment but instead chose to give him high praise. I choose to believe he's telling the truth.

As for running for the hills when things got rough... I think it was in his best interest and the Bombers best interest that he stepped down, so I don't think it was an act of cowardice quite as much as falling on ones own sword. When he was booed by the crowd at the IGF inaugural game it was pretty clear that he didn't have many fans, and that was going to be bad for business sooner or later. He did us a favor by leaving when he did, and I won't hold that against him.

Larry Updike might be telling the truth.  My friend who worked for him was certainly not lying. 

What do you expect Peter to say?  Besides, its not like Peter has a sterling reputation amongst all of his staff either but he's smart enough to know what kind of quote to provide under the circumstances.  Also, I would not expect Garth to be anything short of an angel to a guy buying advertising from him.

I don't know what to expect Peter to say. Most of us don't know the players or the  business market involved.

Exactly. And if you ask me, anonymous posters quoting OTHER anonymous people trashing someone's personality holds exactly zero credibility with me.

I don't know what to expect Peter to say. Most of us don't know the players or the  business market involved.

Exactly. And if you ask me, anonymous posters quoting OTHER anonymous people trashing someone's personality holds exactly zero credibility with me.

Things didn't work out with the Bombers but he was obviously a very good radio exec so I hope he bounces back & does well wherever he goes. I have no ill will towards him.

And I agree with what you're saying.

Fortunately, there are places for people who behave like this.

It's called anonymous anonymous.

Unfortunately this place isn't doing very well as they don't have a membership list and nobody wants to step forward to organize nor identify problem areas.

I've heard mixed reviews of Buchko as a radio time executive. However, one thing is clear. He usually met or exceeded his outfit's sales goals and yeah, he tended to affiliate himself with the highest paying advertisers (like Ginakes). Part of selling radio nowadays revolves around sending favoured or hi-dollar clients on unique travel adventures. If your company is spending $100k to $500k a year you and a friend should be able to count on at least $5000 to $10000 worth of annual trips.

Small price to pay to keep a client who might not be getting the results out of his advertising program but likes the attention and ego-stroking a guy like Buchko supplied.

Also, Buchko was able to stave off a palace revolt years ago when his primary announcer, Charles Adler was going bonkers and Buchko was able to get him some help. Buchko probably doesn't do that for a receptionist having a breakdown but a money-producing asset, thats a different kettle of fish.

Living in Calgary, I've listened to CJOB & I think the football broadcasts on CJOB being the Bomber rights holder aren't as good as they should be. The ongoing decision to use different analysts on road games has me wondering why the station went in that direction. The station can't afford to pay for 2 hotel rooms on the road, what?

In Calgary on 770 CHQR, the same two people in the booth have been doing all Stampeder home & away games now for 19 years. They have a pre game show that goes an hour prior & a post game show with callers that is usually 90 minutes in length. Last year, a couple of times I listened once after a Bomber home game that I attended on my car radio & once online where they cancelled the call in portion of the broadcast saying they didn't have enough time & the other time shortened the call in portion, again because of time constraints. They never do that in Calgary. The format is always the same. Both are Corus radio stations so I wonder why that happens?

Is that a serious response or tongue in cheek?

A bit of both. Bob Irving is close to retirement and he disappears in the winter months (partial retirement already) so it wouldn't surprise me. He is the sports director though, so I'm sure he has say in how long the post game show is. Knowing Bomber fans they'd call in till 4am after a game to voice their opinion.

Is that a serious response or tongue in cheek?

A bit of both. Bob Irving is close to retirement and he disappears in the winter months (partial retirement already) so it wouldn't surprise me. He is the sports director though, so I'm sure he has say in how long the post game show is. Knowing Bomber fans they'd call in till 4am after a game to voice their opinion.

I'm sure they would. I'm just surprised at how CJOB has cut corners on its Bomber game day coverage compared to CHQR out here. Out here, a studio host & guest handles the call in portion of the show, after saying good night to the broadcast crew.

http://www.morningbigblue.com/community/topic/3066-please-read-message-from-the-moderation-team/

We wanted to send a reminder out to members of the board to be more aware of what they post on people in the public eye.  This can include players, coaches, members of the media, GMs, etc.

While it is valid, welcome, and encouraged to constructively criticize their work, name calling and derogatory insults are starting to get out of line.

Whenever you post something, consider the impact it would have on that person or that person's family.   You don't appear any smarter by putting someone down to get your point across.

Its unfortunate that the Blue are not popular enough to have a dedicated proper call in show with actual discussion of the team during the week and post game.

Its hilarious listening to the non stop commercials on cjob and in between commercials they manage to squeeze in a few seconds of actual football content.

Its unfortunate that the Blue are not popular enough to have a dedicated proper call in show with actual discussion of the team during the week and post game.

Its hilarious listening to the non stop commercials on cjob and in between commercials they manage to squeeze in a few seconds of actual football content.

If by hilarious, you mean irritating to point of turning it off…you're right.

They're absolutely destroying any meaningful credibility that they had.

Bob Irving can only do so much.

They were like this when I moved away 24 years ago. Constant commercials & 'Let's take a break, Let's take a break" with 7 minutes of commercials, four minutes of content  over & over. The break that drives me nuts is to take it at 10 minutes to the hour, come back at 3 minutes to the hour, have a minute of content then break to commercials with a minute to go followed by the news & more commercials after the news till they come back... That's the way CJOB used to be over 20 years ago. Guess things haven't changed. Back then, that was the format for  90 minutes with the Football Hot Line Show hosted by Bob Irving with Jack Matheson.