Garth Buchko back to CJOB?

gbill2004

You do realize that the breaks for news, weather, etc are mandated in their license.

Well then they should move the sports to FM then. Its impossible to listen with such a choppy bad format. Also if it's I'm the license then how can they broadcast the games without the breaks?

Its just to bad they can't have a nice format like on espn radio where they can actually sustain a conversation.

It has nothing to do with AM or FM. Stations like TSN Radio have a sports programming license - CJOB's license is for a news format. CJOB is allowed to air football without the news breaks during the game but they do have them at half-time.

It has nothing to do with AM or FM. Stations like TSN Radio have a sports programming license - CJOB's license is for a news format. CJOB is allowed to air football without the news breaks during the game but they do have them at half-time.

Crappy,  I'm not familiar with all of this as I'm under 40 and therefore never listen to the radio.         It's unfortunate that the CFL isn't big enough to have anything remotely as good as the NFL where you get news and chatter online , on tv and on satellite radio....

• 2 weeks later...

Garth Buchko is moving on.

The former Winnipeg Blue Bomber CEO and local radio station executive is relocating in Kamloops, B.C., where he will assume an ownership stake and become vice-president and general manager of NL Broadcasting.

“I am fulfilling my life-long dream of being a shareholder of a radio group,” Buchko said in a text to the Free Press.

He had been a candidate to assume his former position as general manager of the Corus Radio group of stations in Winnipeg, which includes CJOB, but the company recently announced they are filling that position with Scott Armstrong, a former Crocus executive, and more recently with Rogers Broadcasting in Winnipeg.

“This has been in the works for many months,” Buchko said of the Kamloops move. “It was always the best opportunity for myself and my family. While leaving Winnipeg and so many friends will be tough, the spectacular scenery of Kamloops and the lifestyle opportunities were too great to pass up.”

Kamloops, (population 85,000) is located in south-central British Columbia, 310 km northeast of Vancouver.

Buchko’s move comes as NL Radio’s long-time president and general manager, Robbie Dunn steps down from his operational role. Dunn will continue as president.

NL Broadcasting owns three radio stations, CHNL/The River, CKVR/Country 103 and CJKC Kamloops.