Garth Buchko back to CJOB?

gbill2004

A recent Free Press article by Gordon Sinclair:

Someone once asked me if I have ever regretted something I've written.

Yeah, it happens.

Sometimes I've regretted something I've written even if I have no reason to, other than the person in my sights isn't a bad guy. And later, when one considers the impact of the written word on the man and those who love him, there's a sense of sadness. Especially when it didn't end well for him.

So it was with Garth Buchko.

Of course, back then it wasn't just me who was pounding the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' rookie CEO over the protracted construction of Investors Group Field and the game-day frisking fiasco. The frustrated fan base was enraged, too. The slick-looking Buchko was everyone's favourite punching bag when the Winnipeg Football Club was fumbling everything on and off the field.

And after completing just 18 months of a four-year contract that was reported to be worth about $400,000 annually, Buchko was sacked.

Actually, his departure last August was officially described as a resignation, but the timing and who went with him -- the Bombers' woeful general manager, Joe Mack -- left no doubt about how it went down. Why am I revisiting this personal and professional calamity now, just a month after Buchko's 81-year-old father, Ed, died?

In hope of better days ahead for Garth Buchko and his family.

I heard a rumour on the weekend that finally, a full two years after Buchko left his general manager's position at Corus Entertainment's cluster of Winnipeg radio stations to join the circus that was the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Corus is looking to finally put someone in the chair Buchko vacated and was never filled locally.

So does that mean Buchko could be returning to his old familiar role at CJOB, Power 97 and Fresh FM? That's what I was wondering Sunday afternoon when I emailed Calgary-based Corus executive Garry McKenzie in hopes of verifying the rumour and another one that went with it -- that Buchko had applied to get his old job back.

Back in March 2012, right after Buchko left the stations he'd led for 16 years, McKenzie was appointed regional general manager for Corus Radio in Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton, effectively replacing Buchko without replacing his position. That's why I emailed him with my questions.

McKenzie confirmed they were looking to put a full-time GM back in Winnipeg. He went on to say Corus is in the process of interviewing candidates, internally and externally, and they hope to make an announcement in the next month to month-and-a-half.

"There is a lot of interest in the position and we are taking our time before making a decision," McKenzie added. So was Buchko one of the candidates?

"Yes," McKenzie responded, "Garth is a potential candidate."

When I reached Buchko by text, he declined to comment on that.

But when I left a voice-mail message asking how he had been doing, he did have something more to say. His goal since leaving the Bombers had been to stay away from the media spotlight and the scrutiny that went with it.

No wonder, given the shelling he absorbed and the direct hit that followed.

"I am currently consulting," he added. "I am also working out of Winnipeg Harvest running the charity I started, called Hunger for Hope."

Then he referred with gratitude to those who have stood by him.

"I have seen so much support from many people in the business community over the past six months."

Two of those business people who are friends of Buchko are also friends of mine. One is my wife's cousin, Peter Ginakes, who owns and operates the Pony Corral restaurants that started advertising with CJOB when Buchko was there.

"He's a good guy," Ginakes said. "Like solid. He was a pro at his job, great to work with. If you had a problem, he would deal with it. And he would reach out to his customers."

Similarly, Larry Updike, who worked for Buchko for nearly a decade as the CJOB morning man, has only praise for him as a boss.

"First-rate" said Updike. "He knows his craft very well and he tried to create a really positive working atmosphere in the station."

I got the sense Updike would like to see him back leading Corus Radio in Winnipeg. Ginakes certainly hopes his pal goes back to doing what he does best.

For what it's worth, I'll second that emotion. Garth Buchko was the wrong guy at a very wrong time for the Bombers. But granted the opportunity, he could be the right guy at the right time for Corus Entertainment.

Buchko is a radio advertising & management guy. That's what he is very good at & comfortable doing. Not running a football team. For what they asked him to do with the Bombers he was woefully unprepared for what awaited him. The stadium fiasco & reupping Joe Mack are just two things he didn't handle well. Hopefully he gets back to Corus Group & CJOB if that is what he wants to do. If he does, I wonder how that'll play out as he will work for the rightsholder to the football games & may have to negotiate with the same men who hired & fired him.  That could get dicey.

Stadium fiasco and Jim Bell go hand in hand, and yet nobody says a thing about him

Jim Bell wasn't in charge of the stadium project and I don't recall him making statements like Buchko did about the stadium being ready for the 2012 season which is where most of the criticism of Buchko stems from with respect to IGF. IMO Buchko does take more blame than he deserves but that doesn't mean that Bell is to blame either.

Stadium fiasco and Jim Bell go hand in hand, and yet nobody says a thing about him

Jim Bell wasn't in charge of the stadium project and I don't recall him making statements like Buchko did about the stadium being ready for the 2012 season which is where most of the criticism of Buchko stems from with respect to IGF. IMO Buchko does take more blame than he deserves but that doesn't mean that Bell is to blame either.

Bell gave the date of 2012 when the project originally started, hence why the 2011 Eastern Final was dubbed "the last game at Canad inns".  Buchko was named CEO 4 months later.

What was the name of the guy in charge of the construction of the stadium? He was on the Bomber Board, I think. That's the guy who should be blamed. Buchko's problem was his guaranteeing that the Bombers would be playing at IGF in 2012 when it didn't happen.

Garth arrogantly vowed the stadium would open on time. It came across as a guy swaggering to the media who has no clue the reality of the situation. He showed a lot of ego and arrogance.

There were a few of us who proclaimed him vastly under qualified for the gig when he got it and sadly we were right. It was like hiring Reinbold. I don't like that he ran and hid when the crap finally hit the fan. It just showed he wasn't right for the job.

But he seems perfect for the job at CjoB. So good for him.

Bell gave the date of 2012 when the project originally started, hence why the 2011 Eastern Final was dubbed "the last game at Canad inns".  Buchko was named CEO 4 months later.

But that was a BoD decision.

What was the name of the guy in charge of the construction of the stadium? He was on the Bomber Board, I think. That's the guy who should be blamed. Buchko's problem was his guaranteeing that the Bombers would be playing at IGF in 2012 when it didn't happen.

Ossama AbouZeid

He was the interim CEO prior to Buchko, and continued in his role a stadium project manager when Buchko arrived on the scene. He is now on the board of directors.

Of which Bell had a role with, no?

Of which Bell had a role with, no?

No, Bell has never been on the BoD. As well, Ossama AbouZeid was acting CEO starting in July, 2011 until Buchko was hired.

Ossama AbouZeid

He was the interim CEO prior to Buchko, and continued in his role a stadium project manager when Buchko arrived on the scene. He is now on the board of directors.

So, AbouZeid was in direct charge of stadium construction & the resulting fiasco & he is on the Bomber Board of Directors. This is the thing that bothers me the most & is the core of the problem with the Blue Bombers.They can do what they do no matter how damaging their decisions are to the team & they are nor held accountable for their actions & decisions. After the stadium debacle, Ossama AbouZeid shouldn't be on the board. 

Ossama AbouZeid

Wasn't Ossama also the guy who was project manager for the Winnipeg Police facility which has come up over 70 million over his initial budget figures? Too often our board of directors gets too excited when a guy arrives in town with a sparkly resume, having built an apartment block in the middle east!

Any time there was bad news Bell got marched up to the front lens to be the face and the fall guy. Don't shoot the messenger .

I agree - Buchko used Bell as a meat-shield, trotting the guy with the perfectly pressed white shirts, gnatty tie and brush-cut out to the media whenever the heat came on. But I don't know what Bell has accomplished other than being an extra security guy on the grounds. He represents continuity, yes but its only to the most repugnant era in bomber history. 

Any time there was bad news Bell got marched up to the front lens to be the face and the fall guy. Don't shoot the messenger .

As was Garth Buchko.

Buchko essentially became the face of everything that was wrong with the Bombers and IMO that was unfair.

The Bombers, Province and City needed their scapegoat and that's where he came in handy.

As was Garth Buchko.

Buchko essentially became the face of everything that was wrong with the Bombers and IMO that was unfair.

The Bombers, Province and City needed their scapegoat and that's where he came in handy.

I disagree with this. Garth was never front and centre unless it was a good news story

Still, he was looked upon more as Garth Vadar and many treated him as such.

Once you start off on the wrong foot and put said foot in one's mouth, rightly or wrongly, you will be perceived as the ill in the ill-timed press release.

Lesson is to check the facts…beforehand, and you won't get facted in the end.

It's one of those..seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time scenarios.

As was Garth Buchko.

I disagree with this. Garth was never front and centre unless it was a good news story

No ?

So Garth Buchko having to deal with the Water situation was a good news story ?

Or better yet the first 2 delay announcements by him were good news stories ?

Lapo being fired a good news story ?

Should I go on ?