CFL Draft Prospect Rankings

Jpan85

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau today published its winter edition of the top 15 ranked prospects eligible for the 2014 CFL Canadian Draft.

For the second-straight ranking, McGill offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is the top ranked prospect. Duvernay-Tardif is followed by two other offensive linemen - Pierre Lavertu from Laval is ranked second and David Foucault from Montreal is third.

Rounding out the top five are St. Francis Xavier wide receiver Devon Bailey and Simon Fraser offensive lineman Matthias Gooseen, who made the largest jump in the rankings, moving up ten spots to fifth.

BY THE NUMBERS

The ranking includes four offensive linemen, four linebackers, three defensive linemen, two defensive backs one receiver and one running back.

Queen’s has three players on the list, the most by any one school.

All 15 ranked players on last winter’s CFL Scouting Bureau list (it was published in December) were selected in the 2013 CFL Draft. Seven of those players were selected in the first round.

Here is the full ranking:

Winter Scouting Bureau Ranking

Rank Name Position School

1 (1)

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OL McGill

2 (4)

Pierre Lavertu OL Laval

3 (3)

David Foucault OL Montreal

4 (2)

Devon Bailey WR St. Francis Xavier

5 (15)

Matthias Goosen OL Simon Fraser

6 (--)

Evan Gill DL Manitoba

7 (6)

Beau Landry LB Western

8 (8)

Andrew Lue DB Queen's

9 (--)

Anthony Coombs RB Manitoba

10 (7)

Max Caron LB Concordia

11 (12)

Casey Chin LB Simon Fraser

12 (9)

Sam Sabourin LB Queen's

13 (5)

Adam Thibault DB Laval

14 (10)

Derek Wiggan DL Queen's

15 (--)

Dylan Ainsworth DL Western

Get me two of Lavertu, Coombs and Caron

I'd be ecstatic.

Gonna be tough to pull that off without a second round pick. We pick at 2 and then not again until 20.

I know. I'd try and pretend that I think Coombs will tumble as a running back but I really don't think he will. He's a special talent.

Get me two of Lavertu, Coombs and Caron

I'd be ecstatic.

Gonna be tough to pull that off without a second round pick. We pick at 2 and then not again until 20.

I know. I'd try and pretend that I think Coombs will tumble as a running back but I really don't think he will. He's a special talent.

hopefully Walters can get a 2nd rounder (or a late 1st rounder) in trade

How are Coombs and Gill eligible now?  Did the CFL reverse the eligibility changes they made?

Would be news to Brian Dobie if they are drafted.

I'm confused too.  When they changed the eligibility, the CFL said "the players will be eligible to be selected in the CFL Draft three years after completing their first year of CIS eligibility."  Am I correct that both those players' first year was 2011?  Then their eligibility is 3 years after December 2011... i.e. December 2014, making them eligible for the 2015 draft. OR does it mean 2014, as in 3 years after 2011?

Eligibility changes explained here... http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-adjusts-eligibility-rules-for-draft

How are Coombs and Gill eligible now?  Did the CFL reverse the eligibility changes they made?

I'm confused too.  When they changed the eligibility, the CFL said "the players will be eligible to be selected in the CFL Draft three years after completing their first year of CIS eligibility."  Am I correct that both those players' first year was 2011?  Then their eligibility is 3 years after December 2011... i.e. December 2014, making them eligible for the 2015 draft. OR does it mean 2014, as in 3 years after 2011?

Eligibility changes explained here... http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-adjusts-eligibility-rules-for-draft

Just another example of the CFL being confusing as hell.

Based on those rules, they aren't eligible until 2015.

Pretty clear that either something changed since then (maybe they agreed to grandfather the changes in so it doesn't screw over the guys who thought this would be their draft year) or someone inept put this list together.  They were both unranked in the last release, and both guys are clearly top 15 if they are a part of this class, from day 1.

Duane Forde @DuaneFordeTSN 5m

.@3lue_n_6old In hindsight, the CFL elected to allow 4th yr CIS players, who weren't in their 4th yr of eligibility, to opt into the draft.

Duane Forde @DuaneFordeTSN 2m

.@3lue_n_6old With all NCAA RS jrs removed from this class, it was a wise decision for guys like Gill to opt in, as 2015 will be far deeper.

That's all well and fine but when a GM makes a move(trade) based on how the rules are set up at the time…and then they change the rules, I'm not sure I like that. 

Now, it affects us directly. (2nd round pick traded to Sask)

I suppose it's still a decent trade…just not as decent.

That's all well and fine but when a GM makes a move(trade) based on how the rules are set up at the time…and then they change the rules, I'm not sure I like that. 

Now, it affects us directly. (2nd round pick traded to Sask)

I suppose it's still a decent trade…just not as decent.

Precisely.  Also messes around with the guys who thought they were eligible, only to be told in October that they wouldn't be until 2015, then told in January that they are in fact eligible for the 2014 draft, not to mention the guys like Dobie who has been planning on having Gill and Coombs on his team in 2014, and now almost certainly will not have them.

Any changes like this for draft eligibility should be made years ahead of the actual change going into effect, otherwise it gets pretty minor league with the rules changing every few weeks.

On who we should take...I'd love to see Gill in Blue and Gold.  I know we have a need at centre and there are a couple highly ranked, but Gill is a guy who has decade long stalwart on the DL written all over him, the fact he's from Winnipeg and won't go running east the first chance he gets as a free agent makes it an easy pick IMO.  The only worry would be the NFL (he's in the Shrine game), but that's going to be a concern with anyone we draft 2nd overall.

On who we should take...I'd love to see Gill in Blue and Gold.  I know we have a need at centre and there are a couple highly ranked, but Gill is a guy who has decade long stalwart on the DL written all over him, the fact he's from Winnipeg and won't go running east the first chance he gets as a free agent makes it an easy pick IMO.  The only worry would be the NFL (he's in the Shrine game), but that's going to be a concern with anyone we draft 2nd overall.

Where do you personally see Coombs being taken?